• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Identify sub - and which replacement crystal?

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
Hi everyone!

First post so be nice! :p

I was recently in Thailand on holiday and got myself a Submariner at the Chiang Mai night markets :D
Now I'm no expert, but despite being a replica I love it.
It's actually a nice solid watch (with automatic movement).

Problem is it got dropped and the crystal cracked! :(
The current crystal appears flat and roughly 31mm across (and obviously has cyclops).
I don't mind if the replacement crystal doesn't have a cyclops, and if it's domed - but it has to fit...

This is where you guys (hopefully) come in.
I have NO idea which model/version this watch is.
And, most importantly, I have no idea what replacement crystal to get...

Some pics (hopefully these links work):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fCeNNozwi2bbQ5MHA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6YGeWTQZZ3QRf4LY6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q45CA7dZp22zD6VH9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hP9V7DjvgifcvYhCA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WyYQyDPipVRxNTF98

Thanks,
Zennon

Last edited:

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
Can take more picture, or specific pictures if that helps?
Ps. bezel only rotates anti-clockwise

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Ι will not make you happy, but it's not even Regmariner quality. DHGate probably

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Time to buy a set of digital calipers- $15 at Harbor Freight in CONUS. Typically these crystals are 30.5mm. You don't show a gasket with yours- there is usually one- maybe it's still in there. Anyway, once you measure then you can figure out what you need. Watch supply places will have crystals with gaskets. I believe the Rolex crystal for the 116610 is the 25-295-C-1 or C-2, so maybe that would fit in your watch. BTW, the 295 crystal is actually 30.5mm on the outside.

pengo

I'm Pretty Popular
11/7/15
nobody here really cares what crystal fits a cheapie like yours.
measure it as good as u can, and get the cheapest crystal u can get(on ebay or somewhere else; i would say for about $10).
for a cheapie like yours u dont need a gasket, just press in xtal with a pipewrench(wrapped in leather or at least some toilett-paper).
if u have gasket maybe try to use it, but its hard to press in(you need a xtal-press to do it).

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
Time to buy a set of digital calipers- $15 at Harbor Freight in CONUS.
Yupp agreed - not in CONUS but yeah I'll buy some

Typically these crystals are 30.5mm. You don't show a gasket with yours- there is usually one- maybe it's still in there. Anyway, once you measure then you can figure out what you need. Watch supply places will have crystals with gaskets. I believe the Rolex crystal for the 116610 is the 25-295-C-1 or C-2, so maybe that would fit in your watch. BTW, the 295 crystal is actually 30.5mm on the outside.
Yupp gasket is still in there I think - sorry should have taken a pic of that but was getting late
Ok so this is a 116610? That's good to know

I'll buy some calipers and then go from there
Thanks for all the info mate!

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
nobody here really cares what crystal fits a cheapie like yours.
Ouch! Burn! lol

measure it as good as u can, and get the cheapest crystal u can get (on ebay or somewhere else; i would say for about $10).
for a cheapie like yours u dont need a gasket, just press in xtal with a pipewrench (wrapped in leather or at least some toilett-paper).
if u have gasket maybe try to use it, but its hard to press in (you need a xtal-press to do it).
Yeah that's pretty much the plan

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
Good news! Got myself a set of calipers!
Crystal measures at 31.5mm across and 2.8mm thick

Now the only question is what thickness to actually buy.. and if I should get one without a cyclops...
Off to ebay I go!

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Your crystal has straight sides, so buy the 31.5mm crystal. You would do best to go w/o a cyclops- chances of getting a crystal with a cyclops in the right place are slim. You could heat up the old crystal and take off the cyclops and then glue it on the new crystal with uv glue- but then you have to cure the uv glue so it is clear- I don't know how you do it, but google might!

clockmaker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/4/16
I’m a hobby engineer and I have both cheapo £5 Aldi calibers and expensive Mitoyo ...the Aldi are ace for the price!

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
Your crystal has straight sides, so buy the 31.5mm crystal. You would do best to go w/o a cyclops- chances of getting a crystal with a cyclops in the right place are slim. You could heat up the old crystal and take off the cyclops and then glue it on the new crystal with uv glue- but then you have to cure the uv glue so it is clear- I don't know how you do it, but google might!

Ah yeah good point - didn't consider that...

Got a cheap 31.5mm crystal on the way. Got one with a cyclops.
If it isn't in the right place I'll have a go at removing it
#gottaLearnSomehow :D

ZENNON

Horology Curious
10/7/18
Australia
I’m a hobby engineer and I have both cheapo £5 Aldi calibers and expensive Mitoyo ...the Aldi are ace for the price!

Yeah Australian ALDI is a bit weird - basically the only way you can buy non-food items is through the bi-weekly "Special Buys"
which is very specific items and varies each week (probably left over stock from EU)

AFAIK you can't buy Mitoyo's from any of the local stores here, so I got these: http://www.sidchrome.com.au/product/digital-calipers/
(graduation of 0.01mm so should be ok for my usage)

BlackPearlB

Known Member
29/9/17
Although many people disagreed with your cheapie. Your review was very helpful in me getting just the crystal from Prof's and installing it by myself. I was too afraid of the fit, but you reassured me of it.
Thanks a lot bud. Cheers