• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona Appreciation - Post Your Daytona Pics & Opinion

SKnight

8/7/19
3K plus is steep! My question for my follow members is; "Do you guys think that an upgrade from a Noob V3 116519 to a gen is worth it?"

The reason I ask is because I'm having a hard time justifying the upgrade because the price to reward isnt working for me. In this particular instance the Noob dial I feel is really good, secondly the opportunity cost of capital, other projects i'd like to work on will have to be differed.

I know what im asking is subjective but I would appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

popi2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/10/20
....have no words, this from NOOb is by far the best Daytona rep in the market....this watch doesn't need mod, maybe a gen gasket if u want a noticeable upgrade; will be my next purchase, and after this pic i am even more convinced ;-))

only case is different... too cool than gen (white gold)

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
3K plus is steep! My question for my follow members is; "Do you guys think that an upgrade from a Noob V3 116519 to a gen is worth it?"

The reason I ask is because I'm having a hard time justifying the upgrade because the price to reward isnt working for me. In this particular instance the Noob dial I feel is really good, secondly the opportunity cost of capital, other projects i'd like to work on will have to be differed.

Cheers

My opinion is: NO
For other references (116500/116520) gen dial makes difference, bezel is not indispensable and hands are simply icing on the cake.....but if those upgrades (about 1,8/2,5K euro) do not put in difficulty your "pockets"....why not? They are always a good investment, as you can easily resell the watch at the price you payed.

Reactions: SKnight

Daytonamania

Known Member
4/3/20
My opinion is: NO
For other references (116500/116520) gen dial makes difference, bezel is not indispensable and hands are simply icing on the cake.....but if those upgrades (about 1,8/2,5K euro) do not put in difficulty your "pockets"....why not? They are always a good investment, as you can easily resell the watch at the price you payed.

Word. If it isn’t an upgrade that will improve it exponentially than it probably isn’t worth it, especially if you’re bending your back or breaking the bank to get that upgrade. Remember that majority of the population won’t even recognise your watch let alone the dial. But if it’s easily affordable and helps you sleep better at night then go right ahead.

And like mentioned above, if it is a good upgrade, it should easily fetch 70-80% of the cost price back when you decide to flip it in the future.

SKnight I’m on the fence about getting a gen DJ41 Rhodium dial too so i understand how you feel!

Reactions: SKnight

SKnight

8/7/19
dharma appreciate the feedback.
@Daytonamania Mate that is exactly one of the same watches im considering, that or the Wimbeldon.
However for that im also considering going the ARF Franken route and getting all the bells and whistles from @interactiv.

I actually got into the rep game about a year ago when I stumbled upon this forum while looking to purchase a gen to mark a significant mile stone i finally and fortunately achieved.
At that point in time the consideration was simple, I could purchase a gen and be limited to 1 maybe 2 watches or explore holorogy through the rep/ franken game, and as im relatively young, 30, I could always look into getting gen/ grail pieces later. So while a gen dial or even gen mercifully wont break my back, I am considering the opportunity cost of money, and whether that money is better spent else where ie. towards another watch/project or saved.

Cheers

Daytonamania

Known Member
4/3/20
dharma appreciate the feedback.
@Daytonamania Mate that is exactly one of the same watches im considering, that or the Wimbeldon.
However for that im also considering going the ARF Franken route and getting all the bells and whistles from @interactiv.

I actually got into the rep game about a year ago when I stumbled upon this forum while looking to purchase a gen to mark a significant mile stone i finally and fortunately achieved.
At that point in time the consideration was simple, I could purchase a gen and be limited to 1 maybe 2 watches or explore holorogy through the rep/ franken game, and as im relatively young, 30, I could always look into getting gen/ grail pieces later. So while a gen dial or even gen mercifully wont break my back, I am considering the opportunity cost of money, and whether that money is better spent else where ie. towards another watch/project or saved.

Cheers

I already have the watch. And it’s been franken-ed with a gen DW and xtal purchased from interaktiv. I’d say go ahead as that’s a low cost route to the DJ41 as pretty much everything else is close to gen imo. Just thought of getting the gen dial (and possibly hands) to complete the franken. Hope you’re able to make up your mind soon and see you in the ARF DJ41 thread, mate!

As for this thread, i already have a Noob V3 116520 with an ARF dial and bezel installed. So very happy with that already. Still on the fence about a gen bezel!

ndema

Horology Curious
24/9/18
There is, i suppose, a thread about it, but could u please tell me in a nutshell what are the differences between the cases? (apart from metal)

Thanks mate

White gold has a slightly warmer tone to it due to the nature of its compound. Another thing that I see that is not often mentioned is the shine and depth of gold. When looking a PM piece, there's a sense of depth that stainless steel/plating can't replicate. It glows rather than reflects, if that makes any sense.

As for case shape, from pictures, it seems the lugs of the gen is cut a bit sharper on the edge. All the edges just look a bit more defined than the Noob. ARF is just completely off.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiffRalf

ndema

Horology Curious
24/9/18

Cheers

Worth is always subjective. Ultimately, depends on what you're chasing.

For me, I'd say it's not worth it. The Noob 116519 dial isn't perfect, but for what it is, it's pretty darn close. Close enough that I'm not bothered by it once wearing it on the wrist.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Bought my first NOOB Daytona.(v3)I realy like the watch. But the bracelet and specialy the clasp is a joke. Feels like a cheap dh gate watch. I hade a ARF Daytona in the past and its big big different (if i remember correct). But overall beautiful watch.
f07293bf6fac74a067bff140113cbaf5.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

peterchao

Renowned Member
Certified
19/3/16
this looks gen. I have yet to see a noob with this type SEL and lugs.

That’s my franken 116520, only the movement, pushers& crown are from Noob. Everything else is gen. Sel is good because the midcase and bracelet are gen too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Nope, that left lug profile is very different than what gen actually looks like. You can easily see the difference next to the white 116500

You cant easily see for sure bro,this is the best SELs ever exist on daytona rep,it is not 100% perfect but is very close,it have zero gaps and recession is almost perfect,shape of lugs cant be better as no factory did it 100% genlike.. but as i said it is very very close