• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona Appreciation - Post Your Daytona Pics & Opinion

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
Thanks mate!

I Always look at the number "3" on the bezel and the "A" in the Daytona writing to determine if a 116520 is Gen or not.
In all steele Rep bezels the curving of the 3 goes not high enough compared to Gen. With the dials Noob and ARF all use the 116500 font for the Daytona writing and not the Serif font of the 116520.
If you are trained to look out for these "tells" (and you have a big fat loupe or can zoom in your monitor like crazy) you can spot the differences between Rep and Gen really easy.

In the real world at wrist distance and without holding the watch 10 cm in front of my eyes I would not be able to tell the difference. ;)

Thanks for your tips, i appreciate them very much! I have a ARF dial too, and i have to say is very very close to gen.....noob is orrible ;-)

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
Thanks for your tips, i appreciate them very much! I have a ARF dial too, and i have to say is very very close to gen.....noob is orrible ;-)

I also have two Noob 116520 Hybrids with ARF dials (black and white). Except the wrong font of the Daytona (which is so tiny and hard to see without a loupe) over the 6 o`clock subdial they are great. Except us crazy guys no one (except some hardcore Rolex Daytona experts) will ever notice this difference. Some say the subdial printing of the numbers on the ARF Dial is to thick, but it does not bother me at all. The 116520s have many dial variatons (although the Daytona font is always with Serifs) so that the ARF dial might pass of as a variation over the years.

However I will change out my ARF V2 bezels to Gen ones. Although the ARF V2 is the best rep bezel you can get at the moment it does not compare to the Gen. The GEN is much flatter and has deeper laser etched numbers. For me the bezel makes the 116520!

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
Here is a Picture (courtesy of an other member of RWI) where you can see the differences in the shape of the number "3". I marked them in blue circles.
The red markings are from the original photo and should demonstrate that the bezel markings are too close to the rim of the bezel. But this is not completely true as different Batches of Gen bezels also have differing positions of the markings.

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
dharma Tony Clifton what are your views on the Noob 116519ln dial with respect to arf/gen??

In my opinion the Noob 116519 is the best Daytona dial Noob produces. It is stunning. The Noob dial has a very minor flaw compared to Gen: The "O" in Rolex is to round. Some call it the "Donut" O. But this flaw is very minimal and not detectable without a loupe. I have on 116519 which is getting curently a CF bezel and a transparent Crystal gasket. The weight is off by About 40 grams.

Get the watch, it is beautiful. I am also planning to put a 116519 dial in a 116500 to wear it on the bracelet. Your TD should get the dial alone if you are a good customer with him.

FLYER9

Known Member
2/2/16
I agree with Tony Clifton , 116519 Noob is really amazing......the best Daytona Rep in the market (imho)

Just to add my 2 cents, the 116519LN is absolutely incredible! I have the Noob V1 so it doesn’t have the easy link. I’m considering ordering the V3 for the better bezel and easylink Oysterflex, then I’ll mod this version.

DrMaRcO

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/20
Don't you think that the Noob116509 dial (Gray/Black = Panda steel) looks better than 116519 ?
aren't they supposed to be the same ?

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
Don't you think that the Noob116509 dial (Gray/Black = Panda steel) looks better than 116519 ?
aren't they supposed to be the same ?

Unfortunately this watch has two big flaws compared to the 116519:

- the steele bezel Noob uses is shit, the engravings are to thin and shallow, use the wrong font with the "Units Per Hour" lettering and the filling paint is shiny and not matte.
- the endlinks are totally wrong and an easy tell at wrist distance. Noob uses the same endlinks like the Stainless steele versions, whilst the WG endlinks should protrude slightly from the case.

The dial however is the same top Quality as used in the 116519. Furthermore the weight issue becomes much more prominent as this watch has a full bracelet and should weight About 215 grams if it is gen. The Noob weights About 135 grams. With the Oysterflex 116519 the weight difference is about 40 grams and not that noticable.

Reactions: DrMaRcO

popi2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/10/20
I have read in various interventions that 116519 is considered wonderful ... but in my opinion the dial font is totally different! a 116520 black arf dial is closer to the GEN ... demonstration photo (also SEL are different) ....

Bullflo3

Certified
13/2/18
ARF V2. Also for sale on forum.

Vmmots.jpg

Reactions: Agnostic

SKnight

8/7/19
@Tony Clifton The 116519ln was my very first rep and first introduction to the rep game. As you mentioned it is stunning, ever since ive had it I cant stop looking at it!!

With respect to the flaw you are referng to, I see it and i dont in my dial relative to gen or what I think are gen dials.

Let me try and explain, I have the v3 and the "o" doesnt seem to be as perfectly round, its ever so slightly thicker on the right side bottom.
I've tried to compare images of my dial, with numerous gen, or what i believe are gen, images from google/ insta.

The results ive found to be inconclusive regarding the flaw, meaning relative to most images it seems to be almost no different. I was wondering if anyone has had the same exerperience. Could it be they fixed the printing in the v3??

Oops, just saw dharma s comparison, and seems hes reached a similar conclusion!

Last edited:

DrMaRcO

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/20
Unfortunately this watch has two big flaws compared to the 116519:

- the steele bezel Noob uses is shit, the engravings are to thin and shallow, use the wrong font with the "Units Per Hour" lettering and the filling paint is shiny and not matte.
- the endlinks are totally wrong and an easy tell at wrist distance. Noob uses the same endlinks like the Stainless steele versions, whilst the WG endlinks should protrude slightly from the case.

The dial however is the same top Quality as used in the 116519. Furthermore the weight issue becomes much more prominent as this watch has a full bracelet and should weight About 215 grams if it is gen. The Noob weights About 135 grams. With the Oysterflex 116519 the weight difference is about 40 grams and not that noticable.

Thx for the details.

Do you think it's conceivable to find a gen steel bezel ? as far as i know, CF only make ceramic ones, am i wrong ?

Last edited:

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
Thx for the details.

Do you think it's conceivable to find a gen steel bezel ? as far as i know, CF only make ceramic ones, am i wrong ?

A gen 116520 steele bezel for a White Gold model is not correct, as the WG and SS bezels have different markings. So the only options you have is to buy a Gen one (About 1,5k and higher) or go with an aftermarket one form watchesparts.com.

They are quite good but come form the USA and cost about 190 USD including shipping to Europe.

Last edited: