• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16613 Franken Grail Bluesy - A Watch A Year In The Making

BigOffshoreDaddy

OG RWI - The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Patron
Certified
26/3/06
The Republic of Texas
Let me just say that, until a couple of years ago, I was a dumbass when it came to watches. Not that I was a total idiot mind you, but I just didn't understand particular nuances between models and such. Then, after meeting yodog on here after a sale, he began the process of opening my eyes to what's been my passion for about 40 years. More on that later...

But about a year and a half or so ago, I bought a 116613 LB from domsdaddy123...and that's what started it all with regards to two-toned watches. You see, I was never a fan of gold anything watches. It just didn't fit my personal style. Give me a stainless watch, and I was very happy. Then I saw the 6 digit LB that DD was selling. After showing Mrs. BOD, she approved with the requisite noises, and I knew I was good to buy it. When I got it right before Christmas in 2016, it was a stunning watch. But I wanted more.

For whatever reason, many of the 6 digit watches just don't flip my switch...but that's just me. Call me Old School, but there's just something about a 4 and 5 digit watch that speaks to me more than the others. So after buying the 6 digit LB, I knew I wanted it's older brother - the 16613 Bluesy, circa late 1990's/early 2000's

After a couple of Franken projects that yodog helped me with, one of them being a 16713 GMT Root Beer, I finally thought I was ready to leave the proverbial temple. So I set out to build a Bluesy...and he enlisted the help of wm9z with the project. I'm not going to tell you that I personally found each and every piece, but I get by with a little help from my friends while I looked for them.

So the breakdown is pretty straightforward:

WM gave to me the case (which he polished and chamfered, btdubs), crystal, Gen crown, tube and insert. YD found me a Star Time TT bracelet with Gen clasp and a TickleShoes SH3135 movement.

What took the longest was finding the correct dial and hands, at a price point that I was comfortable with. I scoured everywhere until I found it, in Germany of all places - late 90's sunburst with tritium indices and hands. With a WSO bezel assembly, everything was in place!

After sending yodog all of the parts, he took them and did the voodoo that he does so well. And after teasing me a few days with wearing my watch to work and stuff, Mrs. BOD and I flew to where he lives to visit him the last couple of days. Needless to say, but Mrs. BOD was as excited as I was!

Y'all, YD is an awesome young man who knows his stuff about watches. Mrs. BOD and I were glad to meet him for dinner, get his advice, pick his brain, and get my watch. He's just a fountain of information and very gracious. We're glad what he's done for us the last couple of years, and we are proud to call him friend. So, without further ado, on to the pictures...ENJOY!

(The first 4 are mine, and the rest is what he took.)

​​​​​​
W4r4ni1.jpg

R62w2Iv.jpg

wwM1n3f.jpg

DWM2NP6.jpg

ccMnl8H.jpg

dYbr0Dp.jpg

JBC71Fl.jpg

pUj8phB.jpg

0ePOrl5.jpg

BFJ6vwJ.jpg

iP6Yh4y.jpg

kblj8hc.jpg

wm9z, thank you for being a part of this. Yodog, thank you for your friendship, your counsel, your patience, and for helping me realize this dream. I can't wait for the next build!

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
I can vouch for Yodogs work. He has done some lume work for me, with fantastic result. I can build, but it takes real talent for the stuff he does.

Reactions: BigOffshoreDaddy

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15
BigOffshoreDaddy , wow brother Im so happy for you!! I recall when you mentioned you were going to build this piece and were hunting parts, Im sorry I couldnt have helped more but you did an absolutely astounding job!! Congrats!!

There is something special about the bluesy, right? I think its the combo of a vintage old school Sub look mixed with the polished and refined Gold plus the blue sunburst dial is amazing. Ive had a few bluesys and found that its a petfect all around daily piece, at home with a suit or tee shirt, it just works!

Again brother, so happy for you! Please post more pics as you take it on your daily adventures! Wear in good health!

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
That's a beautiful build! Congrats BOD! And good to see you around here, haven't seen you in a while. Cheers!

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
And there she is, always nice to see another bluesy addict :) It is a pity the only way to go is to build one, but that is the price you pay for the most beautiful and versatile Rolex ever made unfortunately.

My one is well over a year old now and i have not looked back. I love wearing it.

um52

Known Member
Certified
11/4/12
Beautiful watch. Just joined the franken bluesy club myself last week. Enjoy wearing it!

BigOffshoreDaddy

Patron
Certified
26/3/06
The Republic of Texas
BigOffshoreDaddy , wow brother Im so happy for you!! I recall when you mentioned you were going to build this piece and were hunting parts, Im sorry I couldnt have helped more but you did an absolutely astounding job!! Congrats!!

There is something special about the bluesy, right? I think its the combo of a vintage old school Sub look mixed with the polished and refined Gold plus the blue sunburst dial is amazing. Ive had a few bluesys and found that its a petfect all around daily piece, at home with a suit or tee shirt, it just works!

Again brother, so happy for you! Please post more pics as you take it on your daily adventures! Wear in good health!

No worries my friend! Honestly, it was a good learning experience for me. I got pointed in the right direction for things, and some I scouted myself, and it worked out really well! I appreciate all the help everyone gave me and the finished product...WOW. I might be selling some of my collection soon because I might not take this SOB off! HA!

BigOffshoreDaddy

Patron
Certified
26/3/06
The Republic of Texas
That's a beautiful build! Congrats BOD! And good to see you around here, haven't seen you in a while. Cheers!

Yeah, when the hijacking occurred, it took me a while to get back...being gone for 6 weeks working 18 hour days on a project didn't help either! It's good seeing you too...definitely miss The Republic! We'll have to GTG when we're in town again!

BTW, the infamous "JoeMariner" is looking pretty awesome these days. I'll have to post a story and pics about that particular snafu as well!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Quite simply the best thing Rolex ever built. If there is one gen Rollie I want, this is it.