• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen hulk vs noob v9 vs arf

0x9

11/8/17
EU [GER]
I recently got my Hulk noob v8, and everyone on this board says that the bezel color is the obvious tell that it's a replica. The original video that smoke posted showed arf vs gen vs v9. I'm obviously not an expert, but when I look at that video, all three of those watches look nearly identical, including the bezel color. If you watch any videos with the gen Hulks on YouTube, it's clear that the bezel color changes with the lighting. I just don't see how anyone would be able to call you out on a rep unless they're staring side by side at a gen. And even then, it'd have to be in the exact same light. Don't know if the noob v9 corrected the bezel vs what I received with the v8, but based on the video, any of these watches would fool the average person. And isn't that what we're all after. If we weren't looking to fool people, then we'd just get a gen (if we could afford it). So I say this, if the average person wouldn't know the difference between your noob, arf and gen, then there's really no reason to spend all this money making expensive upgrades. No matter what you do, the average person won't know the difference between your rep and a gen. And no matter how many mods you make to your rep, it'll never be a gen. Why make a $2500 Franken when a $400 version will fake out 99.9999999% of people you interact with. I'd bet if you wore any of the three watches, you'd never get questioned on it... Ever. People would think you have a real rolex. Just one man's opinion. Here's my Noob v8...
2AA8F.md.jpg

I think you didn't get the franken/rep game right. It's not about fooling people, it's more like a passion to get it as close to gen as possible and to experience a gen feeling on the wrist. I can speak for myself, i hate it, when there are obvious tells on the watch. It makes me inspect these flaws over and over again, like automatically. An average person wouldn't know, what i'm concerned about, no questions asked. Therefore we all try to get the best watch possible.

Concerning the Hulk: If you ever had a gen hulk in your hand and a noob v8, like i did, you will notice the big differences regarding the bezel color, cgs,... The video isn't a good deal for comparison, as the lighting is pretty bad. Biggest tell is and will be for a long time, the bezel, way to dark (V8) or to dull (V9), in any lighting. A friend of mine, who actually owns a gen hulk, can tell me apart from distance with the v8. That's why it's already gone again.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't try to offend you in any way :) Just for clarification.

Last edited:

thestallion

Known Member
10/10/18
London, UK / Rome, Italy
I think you didn't get the franken/rep game right. It's not about fooling people, it's more like a passion to get it as close to gen as possible and to get a gen feeling on the wrist. I can speak for myself, i hate it, when there are obvious tells on the watch. It makes me inspect these flaws over and over again, like automatically. An average person wouldn't know, what i'm concerned about, no questions asked. Therefore we all try to get the best watch possible.

Concerning the Hulk: If you ever had a gen hulk in your hand and a noob v8, like i did, you will notice the big differences regarding the bezel color, cgs,... The video isn't a good deal for comparison, as the lighting is pretty bad. Biggest tell is and will be for a long time, the bezel, way to dark (V8) or to dull (V9), in any lighting. A friend of mine, who actually owns a gen hulk, can tell me apart from distance with the v8. That's why it's already gone again.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't try to offend you in any way :) Just for clarification.

Very well-put :)

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
Makes sense. Good post. Out of curiosity, is there a Hulk with a more accurate bezel than the v8? Tbh, I've actually never seen anyone with one in real life (maybe i wasn't looking). I've seen plenty of gen black dials, and I imagine those are much easier to replicate because black is neutral.

Davidb667

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/12/18
Problem with the hulk is that pictures do not accurately represent the color seen in real life. And, depending on the lighting, even the gen takes on numerous appearances. I purchased the 116610LV ARF Factory 904L w/ the A2824 movement several weeks ago and today just ordered the Noob V9 116610LV 904L A2836 movement as well. When I receive the Noob I will post comparison side by side pics with a brief review of the two. Hopefully I get it sooner rather than later.
​​​​​

Renowned Member
9/12/18
Problem with the hulk is that pictures do not accurately represent the color seen in real life. And, depending on the lighting, even the gen takes on numerous appearances. I purchased the 116610LV ARF Factory 904L w/ the A2824 movement several weeks ago and today just ordered the Noob V9 116610LV 904L A2836 movement as well. When I receive the Noob I will post comparison side by side pics with a brief review of the two. Hopefully I get it sooner rather than later.
​​​​​

Please share the comparison pictures after you receive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidb667

30/12/18
Please share the comparison pictures after you receive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Noob is coming from Singapore so it might be a little while before it arrives; however, as soon as I get it I will post the photos.

Davidb667

30/12/18
Hey guys, just received the Noob V9 116610LV today. I will definitely be posting those comparison photos soon. I have scrutinized both watches side by side both indoors and outdoors, and I must say, I'm really torn between which to keep. So many +/- for each. I will go through a more in depth review after handling both watches a bit more (and hopefully the pictures will speak for themselves but:

ARF Cons - crown gap even when fully screwed down, thick dw font/mag, lighter more metallic insert (less green saturation), fatter shorter lugs (doesn't bother me as much because sits well on my wrist, rehaut not as nice as noob.

V9 Cons - Pip lume seems off and is better in arf, platinum finish on insert markers not as good as arf (but more green saturation surrounding), dial is slightly less deep green color and more muted, lettering on dial slightly off with spacing (the m, f on the ft. At least from the gen I've seen. Possible different iterations), sel not as fitted as arf.............

As I mentioned previously, I'm torn!

Might make a hybrid of the two. Not sure yet. Hopefully the side by side pics will help others decide which to choose though.

mrklocka

3/9/17
Small price to pay for a good watch. DW's can be had for a decent price, gen around $100 and some on ebay from a reputable maker for around $35

Hi!

Do you have any comparisons to show us between these two now?

Best regards
Mrklocka

Sent from the RWI App

Davidb667

30/12/18
Hey guys been pretty busy. I snapped a few pics for you guys to look at. These were taken indoors. I'll post outdoor pics when I get a chance. It's really hard to try and photograph these evenly, the slightest change in light/angle makes a huge difference in look.

The watch on the right is the Noob, left is the arf.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Noob‘s case does not look good. Asymmetrical milled. Compare how different the light reflects on the upper left and upper right lug.

Greets Andi

Blingo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
30/9/18
Turkey
I like Arf

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Davidb667

30/12/18
Noob‘s case does not look good. Asymmetrical milled. Compare how different the light reflects on the upper left and upper right lug.

Greets Andi

Hey Smpfan,

I'm not home to compare at the moment, but I will say I didn't notice any asymmetrical milling when I looked at the watch in person. I will point out that observing the reflection of light on the lugs may be misleading because I intentionally tilted the Noob to the left slightly so a view of the DW could be seen clearly on both watches simultaneously. Perhaps this is what your noticing. In any case, I like the darker green arf dial and insert markers, but the saturation in the Noob insert is more accurate I think, and a better DW thickness. +/- for each. Both when held side by side are pretty similar otherwise actually. Lug shape on noob is more gen like, arf is a bit boxier and compressed. Truth is, aside from the ocd freaks who frequent this forum (myself included), not sure the average person would be able to tell the difference even when compared side by side for the most part. Both are very nice reps of the hulk!

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
Maybe you can post some straight pics from the watches without any angle if possible. Would really be interested to view this.

I can say this asymmetric look is nothing special. The VRF/BP case suffers from this, too. Some more some less. I‘m sure Noob mills his cases on a CNC machine and then they do some finishing and angling by hand. ARF doesn‘t finish anything by hand. The result is a more precise manufactured case but some angles and refinement is missing. So you get boxy lugs. Noob‘s case is more gen like due to hand finishing but less precise.

On the wrist this is barely noticeable but compared to a gen case you will see absolute flawless light reflection.

So far many thanks for your comparison. Enjoy your new watches.

Greets Andi

Davidb667

30/12/18
Maybe you can post some straight pics from the watches without any angle if possible. Would really be interested to view this.

I can say this asymmetric look is nothing special. The VRF/BP case suffers from this, too. Some more some less. I‘m sure Noob mills his cases on a CNC machine and then they do some finishing and angling by hand. ARF doesn‘t finish anything by hand. The result is a more precise manufactured case but some angles and refinement is missing. So you get boxy lugs. Noob‘s case is more gen like due to hand finishing but less precise.

On the wrist this is barely noticeable but compared to a gen case you will see absolute flawless light reflection.

So far many thanks for your comparison. Enjoy your new watches.

Greets Andi

Hey Andi,

Better late than never. Here are those shots you asked for. Tried to do them straight on so you could compare. The photos taken are of the Noob. Also, I did it outside in case anyone was interested in seeing how it looks.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Can we sticky this thread? Would help quite a bit with the "what is the best Sub" Nubian questions.