• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob 116500 with gen crystal and gasket. Well worth it!

Longwood

6/11/17
Florida
6B09A716-62F8-49BF-80B2-5984A264B70E_zpsqwhccvf9.jpeg
Hey guys, I know it’s bern posted how ever it seems it’s only buried in other peoples build threads that I seen.

so I wanted to make it’s own post because it’s a very easy mod. With common watch working tools it took me about 20 minutes. And 10 of that was spent cleaning the crystal before installing.

all you need is:

crystal
gasket
(goes without saying to use gen since that’s what we are after. Although even a arf crystal and gasket would work)

tools:

razor blade
a beer or two
bezel pry tool (butter knife could work)
and if you have one a watch press.

To remove over the old bezel simply tape up the area surrounding where you will be working. You could slip and knick the watch. No fun, it takes a few min to tape up don’t be lazy.

After you tapped up around the bezel slowly work your razor blade around the bezel. Use some pressure inwards don’t try to pry up. You will crack the blade or the ceramic bezel. If you slowly worked it you will be able to tell it’s lifting up. Once it’s up enough next grab your bezel tool or butter knife and keep working it.

the bezel will pop off, it’s inportant to not that in most cases the crystal will pop off at the same time exposing the front of the watch. Be careful to not get any dirt, or touch any of the hands.

if the crystal did not pop off at that point just slowly work it off. The gasket holds it in place with a small lip.

next grab your new gen parts!

install the gasket on the watch case!

ensure the bottom side of crystal is clean and no dust prints or anything, you will be stuck with this.

install the crystal onto the gasket by evenly applying pressure. It don’t take much and it will pop into its spot on the gasket.

now take note to make sure you line up the LEC ( laser etched crown) at the 6 o clock marker. It’s hard to see but take your time.

once this is all aligned grab your bezel and install it over. The bezel is what locks your crystal into place.

ensuring you don’t move the crystal line up the bezel with your 12 and 6 o clock markers. And press it on until it’s snug with the case. My arf went on by hands, my noob I needed the watch press tool.

and bam! Your done and if you took your time and did it correct you can now grab a few more beers and take some photos of your new mod! Very easy and very rewarding!

After you get yours done, or if you have done it. Comment with photos, give better advise or input.

Longwood

6/11/17
Florida
Although the noob Daytona owners know. The reason it’s a huge difference is that, from noob the gasket is to thick and you can actually see part of the gasket from side view. It alters everything about the front of the watch. Even straight on you can see the white. After gen gasket and crystal it’s no more! You might be able to get away with just the gasket swap. How ever I installed both.

Reactions: rolexlover101

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Although the noob Daytona owners know. The reason it’s a huge difference is that, from noob the gasket is to thick and you can actually see part of the gasket from side view. It alters everything about the front of the watch. Even straight on you can see the white. After gen gasket and crystal it’s no more! You might be able to get away with just the gasket swap. How ever I installed both.

This is what I was thinking, why not just change the gasket alone and see what happens.

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Is there a way just to get gen gasket alone without crystal? Can someone share with me or pm me if is not convenient..
Tons of after market gasket on eBay though

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
Unfortunately I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Anyone ever used Esslinger crystal gaskets? Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Unfortunately I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Anyone ever used Esslinger crystal gaskets? Not sure if I’m allowed to post a link.

no problem to post a link

Sent from iX

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
guru
I found a few but this is the extent of my knowledge, do you know if any of these fit the 116500. I think these are meant for 16520 so I imagine it will?

Do you know if any of these would fit based on dimensions?

Thanks for your expertise.

295C-1 2.3mm ht
https://www.esslinger.com/generic-rolex-watch-crystal-gaskets/

RP29-295-(B) 2.3mm ht
http://www.startimesupply.com/merch...0&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=

RP29-295-(M) 2.3mm ht
http://www.startimesupply.com/merch...0&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=

RP29-295-(M) 2.3mm ht

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
They will work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
Hi (so now that I’m a Rolex gasket expert) it appears the part number is 29-295-1. Startime only sells to wholesellers but i found it on Otto Frei as well

http://www.ofrei.com/page_153.html

I ordered both the Otto Frei and Esslinger, will report back!

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Hi (so now that I’m a Rolex gasket expert) it appears the part number is 29-295-1. Startime only sells to wholesellers but i found it on Otto Frei as well

http://www.ofrei.com/page_153.html

I ordered both the Otto Frei and Esslinger, will report back!

Hi qualityazn, can you share how's the gaskets going which one fits better if you try them on already

Cheers

Seefeld

Proud supporter
Supporter
Certified
22/10/18
The bezel is what locks your crystal into place.

ensuring you don’t move the crystal line up the bezel with your 12 and 6 o clock markers. And press it on until it’s snug with the case. My arf went on by hands, my noob I needed the watch press tool.

and bam! Your done

Longwood interesting and easy reading, so I thank you, but that "press it on" scares me quite a lot as I don't have a watch press.
Anyway, now that I have gen bezel I see that I don't have the correct gasket (although my daytona now is exactly 12.4 as the genuine).
I'd also be interested in guru advices
I now hate my invisible gasket so I need to find a gen one
Or I simply have to go back to the watchmaker....
jSJLD.md.jpg
jSUkU.md.jpg
jSnD8.md.jpg

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
6B09A716-62F8-49BF-80B2-5984A264B70E_zpsqwhccvf9.jpeg
Hey guys, I know it’s bern posted how ever it seems it’s only buried in other peoples build threads that I seen.

so I wanted to make it’s own post because it’s a very easy mod. With common watch working tools it took me about 20 minutes. And 10 of that was spent cleaning the crystal before installing.

all you need is:

crystal
gasket
(goes without saying to use gen since that’s what we are after. Although even a arf crystal and gasket would work)

tools:

razor blade
a beer or two
bezel pry tool (butter knife could work)
and if you have one a watch press.

To remove over the old bezel simply tape up the area surrounding where you will be working. You could slip and knick the watch. No fun, it takes a few min to tape up don’t be lazy.

After you tapped up around the bezel slowly work your razor blade around the bezel. Use some pressure inwards don’t try to pry up. You will crack the blade or the ceramic bezel. If you slowly worked it you will be able to tell it’s lifting up. Once it’s up enough next grab your bezel tool or butter knife and keep working it.

the bezel will pop off, it’s inportant to not that in most cases the crystal will pop off at the same time exposing the front of the watch. Be careful to not get any dirt, or touch any of the hands.

if the crystal did not pop off at that point just slowly work it off. The gasket holds it in place with a small lip.

next grab your new gen parts!

install the gasket on the watch case!

ensure the bottom side of crystal is clean and no dust prints or anything, you will be stuck with this.

install the crystal onto the gasket by evenly applying pressure. It don’t take much and it will pop into its spot on the gasket.

now take note to make sure you line up the LEC ( laser etched crown) at the 6 o clock marker. It’s hard to see but take your time.

once this is all aligned grab your bezel and install it over. The bezel is what locks your crystal into place.

and bam! Your done and if you took your time and did it correct you can now grab a few more beers and take some photos of your new mod! Very easy and very rewarding!

After you get yours done, or if you have done it. Comment with photos, give better advise or input.

Dear Longwood Could you please reupload the pictures here in this thread ? It seems like all besides one are not working. It would be very helpful, as I am trying to do the same.