• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona 4130 "Small Project" Pic heavy.

angrycucumber

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/3/18
When i first received my Noob Daytona, I was one of the unfortunate ones to have a DOA movement. Watch would not wind. Was pretty bummed about it but that gave me an excuse to show it to my Rolex watchmaker and have him dissect the issue. Overall the watch is pretty spot on aside from the dead movement and the 120 marker mis alignment issue most NF Daytonas have. Upon inspecting the watch, he had fixed all the issues with the winding and noticed that the crystal was sitting to high and decided to take a look at it. He stated that the unsightly gasket was the issue and decided he wanted to see if a gen gasket would fit and fix the height difference. For reference a gen daytona sits around 12.3mm (watchmaker states there are discrepancies in gen crystal thickness which cause discrepancies in measurements with the gen. One gen can measure 12.25 where another can measure 12.35. All depends on the crystal and also the placement of the gasket around the edge of the crystal. as long as its all within tolerance) The nf daytona measured around 12.75mm on the same digital caliper. So lets get this little project started. PS. Ending NF thickness went from 12.75 to around the 12.5 mark. Not exactly gen thickness but pretty spot on and unoticeable. Mainly wanted to fix the 120 misalignment issue and this was a nice reason to remove the bezel.
BmpEcoO.jpg

Bezel off
GpMZmTe.jpg

ROLEX AD Watchmaker inspecting crystal and lining up laser engraving.
TFDxzFH.jpg

Noob gasket left Gen gasket right
M9OUQhT.jpg
OExYdEz.jpg

Nice difference in thickness for the Noob vs Gen
GPpH6VX.jpg

Watchmaker making sure everything is aligned and getting ready to use Rolex daytona bezel tool to compress everything together.
IMiDzqA.jpg

Right before he compresses. Everything seems to be aligned alot better. 120 marker is no longer drastically shifted to the right.
SrzJxSC.jpg

Before
IVMF8wQ.jpg

vKc9Sdt.jpg

Crystal sitting nicely. Gasket is no longer visible from the outside profile and also no longer visible when looking to the inner bezel. You used to see the white gasket which hid the black ceramic. Now its clean and gen looking.
X1CeNFS.jpg

Before Noob gasket was visible and seen when looking to the inner bezel.
wpvWV7b.jpg

Final results. Alot better in my opinion. That white gasket was unsightly and was visible around the crystal edge reflection.
qhShECC.jpg

If you zoom in you can see the white gasket visible and pushing the crystal slightly higher.

The ever so popular final wrist shot
P0IasRY.jpg

Reactions: pompompurin

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
excellent pictures and insight on the gasket/overall thickness. Thank you for sharing and I wish I got a cool Rolex AD watchmaker that can inspect / critique / service my frankens and reps :D

angrycucumber

9/3/18
excellent pictures and insight on the gasket/overall thickness. Thank you for sharing and I wish I got a cool Rolex AD watchmaker that can inspect / critique / service my frankens and reps :D

Its great cuz i work here. Technically not supposed to be doing any of this Rep stuff here. could get this place shut down...but the WM and the owner is mad chill. As long as nobody from Rolex themselves comes in while he is working on one.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Its great cuz i work here. Technically not supposed to be doing any of this Rep stuff here. could get this place shut down...but the WM and the owner is mad chill. As long as nobody from Rolex themselves comes in while he is working on one.

lucky you! My first baby step is to try befriending someone local with parts account / RSC connections for nicer parts to franken with lol

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Great looking watch man. Lucky you to have connections like a rolex ad watch maker. Would you recommend the new noob to a friend? Never really been a daytona guy but as an engineer the movement really floats my boat :)

angrycucumber

9/3/18
Great looking watch man. Lucky you to have connections like a rolex ad watch maker. Would you recommend the new noob to a friend? Never really been a daytona guy but as an engineer the movement really floats my boat :)

Honestly....I love this watch. After i got the bezel situation fixed everything else is pretty spot on. The ceramic bezel even has the Rolex logo engraved on the underside. My watchmaker was like HOLY SHIT....the detail. And whilst looking inside the movement. He knew where everything was as he quotes " THIS SHIT IS A PERFECT CLONE minus the shity screws they use" He himself wants one so I ordered him one to tinker with. If a rolex watchmaker can shit his pants for this movement then its a go. Its all fun and games when he is working on the real 4130 but to see something crafted out of a chinese rep factory to 1:1 specs is amazeballs and jaw dropping for him.

Reactions: Joshj

kebu

12/7/16
Thanks for sharing and risking your licence lol

I have beem contemplating to get one and now super tempted after your comments. Was just a little concerned about the cosmetic flaws vs arf.

So out of the box, what would be the minimum or most cost effective change/mod you recommended to make it most Gen like?

thanks!

Eledhwen

28/2/17
Just quick coment for your watch guy safety take off photos where he's lenses and bracelets are visible, that should be enough, great work! You re so lucky ! I'll suggest that to my modder

angrycucumber

9/3/18
Thanks for sharing and risking your licence lol

I have beem contemplating to get one and now super tempted after your comments. Was just a little concerned about the cosmetic flaws vs arf.

So out of the box, what would be the minimum or most cost effective change/mod you recommended to make it most Gen like?

thanks!

the gasket was just an option as gaskets are cheap. but its a nice way to get more gen height. and realign the bezel while you are at it. thats a dead giveaway. other than that...unless you have one side by side lookin thru a loup...this will turn heads.

kebu

12/7/16
I see. So no real need to replace the bezel. Then a watch service should do the job, ideally getting a gasket and realign the bezel i suppose.

appreciate the advice!

no i need to find my very own rolex ad watchmaker ;)

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
So I will ask the same, can you please re-upload the pictures please ?