• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex bracelet oil mod?

Jaykay47

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/18
Ik this is probably a noob ass question but what exactly does oiling a bracelet do? Does it make the bracelet a little less ratty and less noisy?

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
ya......and really oily.
use a dry lube instead unless your arm needs some lubrication.

Jaykay47

26/3/18
ya......and really oily.
use a dry lube instead unless your arm needs some lubrication.
where can I get dry lube lol. And what exactly is the difference between let’s say mineral oil. (Is that what oil ppl are using?)

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Get some bicycle chain wax, apply, let it dry, wipe off. Works very well for me.
Alternatively use a slight amount of baby oil on each link, but keep in mind your bracelet will be oily for days - even if you wipe everything off.

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

largemarge

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
11/4/18
i read about oiling but im a neat freak im not trying to have oil all over the place and in between where i cant reach or wipe

Quick_Build

Known Member
25/4/17
I use baby oil. I always wash each bracelet thoroughly with a soft bristle brush, air dry, then soak in baby oil for 24 hours. Re-wash to remove excess oil, and re-install.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
WD40 for 2 days, wash it off and then 2 days in baby oil, it will take off sharp edges etc...

Sent from iX

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14

Clockw3rk

7/12/19
Bergeon 6033 rodico.

I am not getting involved. And I am not soaking anything in baby oil. Haha.
But I am curious what the difference is between soaking for 24 hours or 24 seconds.
The oil is not soaking into the stainless I promise. Coating yes, absorbing neeeeeeeeeeooooooo.

For general watch care you want room temp water rinse and dry and buff with a soft cloth, or buff with a good jewelers cloth.
Maybe a toothbrush and a mild dish detergent for mud, sand or saltwater in the band.
The 6033 is basically magic for watch dust and fingerprints. It hoovers all manner of things out of watch bands and other jewelry.
It cleans and leaves a clean surface without rubbing, you basically blot blemishes and dirt away.
Great for gold plated reps I imagine.

I would just let the jeweler lightly buff it once or twice a year.

But, if you really love your watch and just need something special rinse it with a gallon of distilled water.

Facing East.

not involved...

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
Ultrasonic cleaner is cheap and gets the job done. Just the bracelet, not the whole watch.
I use the cleaner 50/50 with water and I clean it like 15 times in a row. That gets the cleaner nice and hot and loosens everything up. You will see all the black dirt and grit fall to the bottom of the cleaner. Then you won't have any issues removing links or stuck screws.
Sometimes, I throw it in WD40 for a couple hours after. Then wipe it off and let it sit on paper towels overnight so that any excess WD40 falls off.
This always works great for me. I would never use baby oil as it attracts dirt. But to each his own.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
WD40 for 2 days, wash it off and then 2 days in baby oil, it will take off sharp edges etc...
I’m very interested in how you believe this would “take off the sharp edges”. Do you think that it dissolves the metal?