• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob v9 just appeared

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Thoughts on these qc pics?

Seal looks good to me.
3028fc5bf89e9522d8ccbc80cbe6ec76.jpg
40b3271614ab2eb1fef05f6228b410be.jpg
8c3470fa3078dea779e0f6193977535c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lovely

Reactions: butterantoast

SeikoFan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/5/18
United States
No issue at all if you use the 2 correct dealers

I got my V9 from Ryan/Intime and while I think it is awesome the consensus is that the SELs are too flush. It seems the only way this could happen is if they started using old parts on the 2nd batch of V9s because one would think that once they correct the CNC code then they will be right forever going forward.

I modified a technique suggested by Nikoel for lowering the SELs a bit and I think it came out well, but one of the anticipated benefits of the V9 was good SEL fitment and that seems to be hit or miss.

siomayenak

Horology Curious
22/7/15
update:
after bring the v9 home i found that the 3135 movement has some defect. when the watch is upside down the movement stop. from what i see is the balance wheel is weak. will come back tmrw to the shop.
smoke is this a common problem on sa3135 mvmnt? thank you

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
It seems the only way this could happen is if they started using old parts on the 2nd batch of V9s because one would think that once they correct the CNC code then they will be right forever going forward.

You would think so, but sadly, it doesn't work that way in the rep world. We see it with SELs, crown guards, lugs, etc. They'll be so nice on watches from one batch, and then they'll be off again in the next, and the cycle repeats. I have an old 116610 Sub from way back, I think it's a V5. The SELs are perfectly recessed. The one I bought last year has SELs that are flush with the lugs. That inconsistency is one of the things I find most frustrating about reps. It's like you said, once they correct the CNC code, they should be right forever......but it never works out that way.

Reactions: VIV54

LaPavel

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/8/17
EU
update:
after bring the v9 home i found that the 3135 movement has some defect. when the watch is upside down the movement stop. from what i see is the balance wheel is weak. will come back tmrw to the shop.
sa3135 is crap...
try measuring amplitude with timegrapher or with ios app timegrapher

siomayenak

Horology Curious
22/7/15
update:

this is the problem

Reactions: LaPavel

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
You would think so, but sadly, it doesn't work that way in the rep world. We see it with SELs, crown guards, lugs, etc. They'll be so nice on watches from one batch, and then they'll be off again in the next, and the cycle repeats. I have an old 116610 Sub from way back, I think it's a V5. The SELs are perfectly recessed. The one I bought last year has SELs that are flush with the lugs. That inconsistency is one of the things I find most frustrating about reps. It's like you said, once they correct the CNC code, they should be right forever......but it never works out that way.

I think the issue is the finishing, which is probably done by a factory worker instead of all by machine, hence the irregularity. Noob cases probably come out of the CNC machine with perfect lugs, and then get ruined when the various textures are applied. It seems like the best examples with perfect SEL have a nice flat reflection across the lug top, suggesting they only had minimal work done after being cut, while examples with an overworked (and flush) lug usually have a rounder, less regular top surface. See this video for an explanation of why overbuffing (same with overworking with any finishing tool) leads to these softer, rounder surfaces. I think Noob factory workers probably just overwork the case with whatever tool these use for brushing and polishing.

Reactions: focus66

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
PamDomi looks great, and that insert is soooo nice. Is this a VRF bracelet, or the epoxy mod? Either way, unfortunately it does not fix the problem of overly squared lug tips. Looks like batch 2 V9 is back to worst batch V7 for case shape overall.

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
What I love most about the V9 is that it seems to be the first Submariner Rep that has rounded dial markers as Gen.
Especially the triangle marker at 12 o‘clock is not as sharp as all the versions before or BP Reps which I own one 114060 from last year and the edges are too sharp.
Also the triangle sits lower and is not sticked to the rehaut, for me this always was the most frustrating tell as you have to buy a gen dial because it can‘t be fixed :/

egostatistical

Horology Curious
13/11/17
Can arf and noob just merge already? They should take the best of both worlds and sell them for $600 a pop and we’d buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

The Alchemy Index

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/6/15
Can arf and noob just merge already? They should take the best of both worlds and sell them for $600 a pop and we’d buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

They’re already selling them for nearly that and we still buy them. Even if Factories we’re capable of a perfect watch, they have no incentive to make a perfect watch

jakekrait

19/1/17
They’re already selling them for nearly that and we still buy them. Even if Factories we’re capable of a perfect watch, they have no incentive to make a perfect watch

Market competition will always be a very strong incentive.

Reactions: crank6868