• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 116610 904l 2824

AusRepcollector

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/18
Finally after weeks of arguing with the webmaster here about issue with my old account not working properly, I'm finally able to post in this thread. So I picked up two Hulks from Angus at Puretime for myself and a good buddy a month or so ago. I also sourced the gen datewheels and crystals to do the recommended upgrade mods many in this thread are talking about. So I had my buddy who's a watch fan like myself first take them to a good watchmaker/repairer he knew. After a week this guy came back and started saying if the gen crystal mod was done the waterproofing would be completely compromised. I immediately said to my buddy, WTF, that just doesn't compute. So we then took them to another guy whom I know quite well and low and behold he quoted the same thing. Finally got on to a third watchmaker and he was fine with doing the crystals but then picked up the issue that isn't well covered in this thread but I picked up in a dedicated thread about it, that the gen datewheei will not work in the 2824 only the 3135 movement. So I've now held things up until I land a couple of DWO's which hopefully do the trick and be an actual improvement.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
you can mod the datewheel and it was in this thread here (also in another one).

AusRepcollector

6/11/18
you can mod the datewheel and it was in this thread here (also in another one).

Ok so I'm getting totally conflicting information from thread to thread then. Geez that's helpful. I don't want to go into or get on the phone to the watchmaker to argue it out unless I have some solid info frankly. I did see a couple of more recent threads here where it's been mentioned DW can be modified but this is the one were it's straight out said it can't be done:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/6865538-arf-116610-2824-help-pls

Ironically, I also had a response also totally contradicting your comment over RWG just yesterday finally after posted same thing over there 2 weeks ago:

https://rwg.cc/topic/193073-doing-g...ues-after-mod/?do=findComment&comment=1548176

I'd really love to get to a landing on this as I don't even know if the datewheel I sourced from an ebay store will be that good I as I couldn't find the Watchoutlet store quoted in that other thread.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Ok so I'm getting totally conflicting information from thread to thread then. Geez that's helpful. I don't want to go into or get on the phone to the watchmaker to argue it out unless I have some solid info frankly. I did see a couple of more recent threads here where it's been mentioned DW can be modified but this is the one were it's straight out said it can't be done:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/6865538-arf-116610-2824-help-pls

Ironically, I also had a response also totally contradicting your comment over RWG just yesterday finally after posted same thing over there 2 weeks ago:

https://rwg.cc/topic/193073-doing-g...ues-after-mod/?do=findComment&comment=1548176

I'd really love to get to a landing on this as I don't even know if the datewheel I sourced from an ebay store will be that good I as I couldn't find the Watchoutlet store quoted in that other thread.

A legit watch smith wont touch it (liabilities)...and they will tell you that it will not be water proof as many of them will not be once modified.....you need a modder on the gen datewheel as it has to be over layed over the current one on a 2824..this is not a straight drop in...a gen datewheel will fit a noob v9 or arf3135 without any trouble (drop in)...as far as crystal..will fit both models...any water resistance is compromised as most rep will fail the pressure test..unless you install gen spec gaskets

you can even try to source a TC datewheel from a 2824..but no one will be willing to give those up...

Reactions: Tigerdragon

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
It is possible i think domi (i hope someone can tag him i dont know his username) did it.

But why modding? The standard 2824 is good? Gen dial would be better (because of the not rounded 6 and 9 marker), the 2018 rolex submariners are not good as before.

I would not do the whole mod DW thing in my opinion. Its possible i saw some threads about it (and i am pretty sure domi did the modding) but i would not do it and i would not buy the 3135 version because the case looks not good + shitty movement (in my opinion).

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
It is possible i think domi (i hope someone can tag him i dont know his username) did it.

But why modding? The standard 2824 is good? Gen dial would be better (because of the not rounded 6 and 9 marker), the 2018 rolex submariners are not good as before.

I would not do the whole mod DW thing in my opinion. Its possible i saw some threads about it (and i am pretty sure domi did the modding) but i would not do it and i would not buy the 3135 version because the case looks not good + shitty movement (in my opinion).

You overlay the gen 3135 datewheel on the 2824 datewheel..no change in movement..has to be perfectly aligned but can be easily done if you know what your doing...will have to keep aligning to make sure it the date is all aligned. Sh3135 is very reliable once cleaned...the factories are doing a better job at these movements...

Reactions: AusRepcollector

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I think its the magnification of the loupe because 6 looks REALLY big.

You overlay the gen 3135 datewheel on the 2824 datewheel..no change in movement..has to be perfectly aligned but can be easily done if you know what your doing...will have to keep aligning to make sure it the date is all aligned. Sh3135 is very reliable once cleaned...the factories are doing a better job at these movements...

The problem is if they broke you have a big problem? If a 2824 break i just buy a gen one.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I think its the magnification of the loupe because 6 looks REALLY big.

The problem is if they broke you have a big problem? If a 2824 break i just buy a gen one.

Yes, haven’t ran into one that broke yet. Yuki Wrist watch Mens Womens Automatic Movement Parts For 3135 SH12 China Shanghai. $259. Not that bad...looked at best priced ones and the are low $200...not a big deal..once cleaned..runs like gen...can run for a long time without issues

https://www.repgeek.com/tutorials-fo...-2836-2-a.html for date overlay

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
ah ok Yuki is fitting? Didnt know that. But the 3135 ARF version is terrible at the moment.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
ah ok Yuki is fitting? Didnt know that. But the 3135 ARF version is terrible at the moment.

Yup..yuki and sh3135 from ARF is the same movement...straight drop ins no mods...because ARF had sourced these movements to their watches...
prices has gone tremendously down...I remember when they were hitting $500...but no longer...

agreed that arf 3135 did not get good reviews...

Out of the box no mods
ARF 2824 > Noob V9 > ARF 3135
For reasons..hit that search button and read

Once you start modding or even think about modding alot
Noob V9 > ARF 2824 > ARF 3135

I do hear a lot of folks only wanting to mod a little...
ARF 2824 = Noob V9

If you are waaay too anal..
Rfactory

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigerdragon

AusRepcollector

6/11/18
A legit watch smith wont touch it (liabilities)...and they will tell you that it will not be water proof as many of them will not be once modified.....you need a modder on the gen datewheel as it has to be over layed over the current one on a 2824..this is not a straight drop in...a gen datewheel will fit a noob v9 or arf3135 without any trouble (drop in)...as far as crystal..will fit both models...any water resistance is compromised as most rep will fail the pressure test..unless you install gen spec gaskets

you can even try to source a TC datewheel from a 2824..but no one will be willing to give those up...

Ok that makes whole lot more sense now re the watchsmith vs 'modder'. Glad to finally here some hard truths here regarding this as I was starting to get annoyed with the watchsmiths dealt with so far.

Re the gen spec gasket thing, I had read here that gen spec gasket just plain won't fit properly on these ARF's and the best scenario was to use the arf gasket? So another confusing issue it seems:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...35#post6855335

I also meant to say DWO as per my original post from yesterday, not just datewheel to make it sound like I was buying yet another one (but aftermarket). Don't know if this DWO is any good really compared to say the watchoutlet one I couldn't find or not?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-DATE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Seems this whole exercise of doing the two most promoted mods for this watch is proving to be way more of a p.i.a. than at first glance...

Last edited:

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Yeah but Rfactory 2018 batch is not good anymore (no raised rolex printing etc and shitty magnification with blue hue).

It Could possibly be on the new subs? .i have a 2018 blnr and Doesn’t have those characteristics...my sub is 2016..no issues. If you can do a gen go for it...if you don’t think the value is there than don’t go for it because you can build a Franken or just be happy of what you have. Some of the negatives with a franken is water resistance, can’t insure it, will always have some type of flaw, qaulity of parts is not Rolex qaulity (904l steel and 18k gold), and parts someday may not be available in the future. I believe the brand name Rolex, gen or not, will always hold its value vs other brands like Omega etc.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Ok that makes whole lot more sense now re the watchsmith vs 'modder'. Glad to finally here some hard truths here regarding this as I was starting to get annoyed with the watchsmiths dealt with so far.

Re the gen spec gasket thing, I had read here that gen spec gasket just plain won't fit properly on these ARF's and the best scenario was to use the arf gasket? So another confusing issue it seems:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...35#post6855335

I also meant to say DWO as per my original post from yesterday, not just datewheel to make it sound like I was buying yet another one (but aftermarket). Don't know if this DWO is any good really compared to say the watchoutlet one I couldn't find or not?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-DATE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Seems this whole exercise of doing the two most promoted mods for this watch is proving to be way more of a p.i.a. than at first glance...

Correct, gen or Swiss made gasket may not fit properly as you may need to shave down like the noob. This will compromise your water resistance as I find most leaks are from the crystal gasket when swapped. It also means jump in the pool and your watch will possibly go boom.

Dwo own is probably your best solution to fixing the date issue on the ARF, simply turn it into a 114060 no date, or simply live with it that way.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
@Vvvlllooo

Seems like its on the subs and two tone models and nah I don't buy gens because of investment or resale value more for collecting but I don't buy 10k or more if Rolex just don't give a shit anymore and remove all the good stuff because of cost saving.

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
@Vvvlllooo

Seems like its on the subs and two tone models and nah I don't buy gens because of investment or resale value more for collecting but I don't buy 10k or more if Rolex just don't give a shit anymore and remove all the good stuff because of cost saving.

Good stuff mate

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I found it good because it looks 3D like the hands but if they remove it i see no point to buy a gen.