• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 116610 904l 2824

Doc brown

1/11/17
Thank you for the great words of kindness. I am really torn apart. This started 2 years before my retirement of being an detective in he Nypd. Our pensions were based on our best year out of 5 or the best consecutive average over 5 years or your last year if it doesnt go 20% over your year prior. So he hurt me a little financially although I was the kind of cop that always made sure I had overtime.

Now, it is almost 7 years later and he is still stuck on step one.

He actually asked my sister and mom, why dont they have alcohol there so when he goes on these bindles that he won't have too go and disappear.

He is killing my mom. Me it is just taking a told on my watch stuff. I built my shop better today. I boxed stuff I need too mail. So I got some stuff done.

Thank you my fellow brothers. This is why I consider this place a family. really I can come here with any of my problems and you guys understand. From the bottom of my heart I thank you.

Rob

Anytime. We are all here mate. I'm no expert but a community like this is more than just talking watches for me. I've been helped and educated more times than I have ever been on any forum. It's places like this where we men and women should feel at home.

I understand your situation. Because shortly after my uncle died, my he's dad had a heart attack at 42 from the stress of losing his eldest son only a a year after. Non smoker / vegetarian, never drank.

Try to stay focused on positive things and you can only be the best man you know how to be. That's all. He can only blame himself if it keeps deteriorating without accepting help from others. I feel for your mother.

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Is the arf 2824 a h4 canon pinion height? Or the stock h2. Buying a top grade movement.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
The ARF looks to be a H4. Looks amazing. I will take pics tomorrow close up. The hands have the 3D look and all.

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
I dont know what you are talking about. The two that you can see the date wheels are real. I will post more on the ARF later. I have a video just too long for you tube. I have too run in and out all day trying too find a facility for my brother and figure a way too get him back too NY. But I promise this weekend I will do it.]

Not your pictures buddy on the QC ones someone posted

Reactions: occb2

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
The ARF looks to be a H4. Looks amazing. I will take pics tomorrow close up. The hands have the 3D look and all.

The ARF sd43 is H2 and the hands have longer sleeves to fit correctly so would be interesting to see if this is the same or genuinely has H4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Would changing the balance to a chronometer grade and chaning the mainspring to the top grade version be just as good as a top grade movement?

darvistor

Horology Curious
17/4/18
Hey there occb2 so sorry to hear what you are going through with your brother. I lost my brother in law 1 year ago last month to complications from years of alcoholism and he was only 45. Best wishes to you in that respect.

As for the watch, it is beautiful to my eyes. As far as the clicking goes, is that just a personal thing? I mean nobody is going to take my watch and start spinning the bezel. Do you service watches? I live in NJ and work in NY. Any issues with DHL shipment from Puretime or did you choose a different method? I've heard NY customs can be a PITA.

Darv

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
When I read occb2 was breaking out a Dremel to modify the bezel on his new ARF 116610, and also needed to replace the click, this new ARF model quickly lost its potential as an OOTB wonder. Nevertheless, I still look forward to the complete review to figure out just how much of it needs to be modified.

Reactions: guru and cheeky

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
ARF 116610 on a black nato.
10cfe18df33789a0749bd38712d9d12e.jpg

Reactions: tedit and SWI

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Ex bordentown NJ resident. Moved to TX in april but miss nj already.

darvistor

Horology Curious
17/4/18
Hey there @slaughterer62 what makes you choose one upgrade over the other? I mean provided the movement is solid and it looks good on your wrist all the other upgrades seem purely cosmetic. I just cant see spending $1000-3000 to franken a watch unless you feel like you would be called out and made to look foolish. That's not happening with me personally so provided this thing doesn't drift much in time keeping it looks great.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Hey there @slaughterer62 what makes you choose one upgrade over the other? I mean provided the movement is solid and it looks good on your wrist all the other upgrades seem purely cosmetic. I just cant see spending $1000-3000 to franken a watch unless you feel like you would be called out and made to look foolish. That's not happening with me personally so provided this thing doesn't drift much in time keeping it looks great.

he is not talking about franken the watch, he is talking about modding, you know the difference? A lousy bezel will ruin every watch. If you can live with it, be happy. To mod the bezel cost just cents. It looks to me, this is not the super rep we all are waiting for.
Lousy bezel, wrong rehaut, what else? My is in the plane, so we will see....

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13

For me I upgrade the parts that irritate me the most with their obvious departure from the model reference or their plain poor quality and finish. In the past this was bezel inserts, bezels, hands, crowns, crystals, and sometimes even the movements. My purchase history of gen Rolex parts from Sub007, Viper, and their like is pretty long. I am not really concerned about being "called out" at all. I am, like many here, just making upgrades for my own personal satisfaction. With the ARF Daytonas, all I did was swap the crystals, take out the deco plates, swap in a Swiss rotor, and machine the caseback down .5mm, and that was enough for me. I did not really feel the need to machine the pushers, and start the Franken process with a gen dial, although I can fully understand people who did that. With the ARF SD43, all I felt I needed to do was get rid of the Asian 2824 and put in a nice Swiss motor. With this new ARF Sub, it looks like I will be doing alot more work to get it to the point that I can wear it with satisfaction. I rarely wear rep watches out of the box: they all undergo an intense scrutiny and analysis of what is wrong with them and what could make them better. After I am satisfied with the improvements I can make, I wear them with more or less satisfaction. Personally, after maximally Frankening V6S and V7 Noob Subs for myself, the ARF has arrived a little late for me to consider it a base for yet another Sub Franken. Maybe I will change my mind once I see this review and hear more of the personal experiences of others I trust, but the ARF sub is not even on my short list of purchases in the near term at this point. Once I heard occb talking about Dremeling the bezel, I thought, "uh oh." And when guru sounds a little disappointed already before even getting his, I really think this model might be a kind of "value trap" for me personally.

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Ex bordentown NJ resident. Moved to TX in april but miss nj already.

Ex resident of Washington Township NJ (Bergen county), now living in Germany for the last 22 years. I do not miss NJ/NYC one bit, except for certain pizzerias and Italian bakeries, LOL.

Adam270

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/2/18
Redcar northeast England
Looking forward to the review of both this and the noob after all the researching it looks like it's time to dip my toe in the water as these seam to be getting better and better just which one to go for do any of these new watches need the paint mod and on the hulk is the green insert and face the correct colour or very close

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
Ex resident of Washington Township NJ (Bergen county), now living in Germany for the last 22 years. I do not miss NJ/NYC one bit, except for certain pizzerias and Italian bakeries, LOL.

Born and raised in Passaic and Sussex County,,,,Left at 18 never to return. Now I hear they are charging to go on the beach. My brother just left there. His property taxes went from $12,000 a year to $1300 a year. Moved to South Carolina suburb outside Charlotte NC. I cannot imagine paying $12,000 a year for a 1900 SF house in Clifton. YOu can on the house but NEVER own the land. You have to pay the state $3000 a quarter to "rent" their land. People voted for all that up there.

Reactions: slaughterer62

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Born and raised in Passaic and Sussex County,,,,Left at 18 never to return. Now I hear they are charging to go on the beach. My brother just left there. His property taxes went from $12,000 a year to $1300 a year. Moved to South Carolina suburb outside Charlotte NC. I cannot imagine paying $12,000 a year for a 1900 SF house in Clifton. YOu can on the house but NEVER own the land. You have to pay the state $3000 a quarter to "rent" their land. People voted for all that up there.

Home equity simply gets sucked out of the owner when they pay five figures in property taxes per annum. It is the reason my entire family packed up and left NJ in the 1990s.

Reactions: SubVette

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
Home equity simply gets sucked out of the owner when they pay five figures in property taxes per annum. It is the reason my entire family packed up and left NJ in the 1990s.

My buddy lives in Scarsdale NY, Pays $40,000 per year on his 3000 sq/ft home. Needs his head checked

Reactions: SubVette