• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Period correct Datejust build 116200/116234

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Hi guys,

Am currently gathering parts for a franken 116234 build, so i spent the last week going through hundreds of pics and sale adds just to find out as much as i could about the watch.

The best route now for a franken 36mm datejust 116200/16234 is to use the 904 ARF watch as a base. But in order to be period correct with your build you must know the following details :

2005 - no rehaut engraving / serial between lugs
2006-2010 - serial both on rehaut and between lugs
2011-2018 - random serial only on rehaut

2006-2015 - double lined rehaut engraving
2016-2018 - laser etched rehaut

2005-2010/2011 - no AR crystal with LEC

2011/2012-2018 : AR crystal with LEC

The ARF case has the rehaut laser etched and has a random serial which is period correct for a 2016-2018 build only.

So you have 2 options :

1. Erase the reahaut engraving and go for a 2005 build using a non AR but with LEC crystal. cheaper
2. Leave the case as it is and go for the AR LEC crystal. more expensive because of the AR crystal.

If you're going for the 2005 build you won't have the serial written between the lugs and that would be a tell.
On the other hand, if you leave the case as ARF makes it, the poor rehaut engraving will be a tell.

Other things you should keep in mind :
- the SEL of the jubilee bracelet on the arf is one piece VS the gen whick i'm almost sure it's made out of 3 pieces clamped together. See for yourself. BP's sel was better in this regards but the overall finish is worse imo. The bp sel is either made from multiple pieces clamped or engraved to mimic so.
- there are also some differences between dial layouts and prints. The 2005 silver stick dial for ex. has the oyseter written as 0YSTER while the 2014 silver dial reads OYSTER. There are also some other font differences as well.
- Dial coronet also differs from year to year. The older dials have a slimmer coronet than the later ones.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add any info that might help or correct any mistake i could have made.

Will update with more info on the various dials and claps. Idk if there was a shiny/sanded clasp for the dj like there was for the sub. Will need to dig deeper.

Cheers!

Oh and by the way, i found a franken on chrono going for over 7k :))

Last edited:

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
Wow, what’s your part list?

I’m planning a mini Franken dj
ARF 904l jubilee✅
Dw ✅
Dial
Reversalwheel/winding mechanism✅
Crystal

The dial I think will be the most difficult part to find at human prices because I choose the blue one.

I’ve a question, the black hole effect will be automatically with the crystal?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
my arf 116234 with gen dial, crystal and roulette date wheel. All work done perfectly by tickleshoes. in retrosepect I could have gone the smooth bezel and blue dial for a bit of variety, but cest la vie. I definitely wear it more on odd days because I love the colour pop of the roulette date wheel. I definitely recommend getting jubilee and oyster - makes it nice to change up occasionally with a bracelet change

I’m at about 10-15% of the cost of a genuine.
taking the stock silver dial 116200 and just adding a gen crystal and datewheel would be an incredibly good mini franken for a small cost

Last edited:
Reactions: Spatiumtemporis