• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolled the Dice on a DHGate Rolex Submariner...

scottsvalley

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/18
Kennewick, WA
My rep journey began a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon a guy on youtube unboxing a Rolex he had purchased from dhgate. At the time I'd never even heard of dhgate but I decided to check it out. By the end of the day I'd ordered three reps, each one in the $50-$60 range (2 subs and an Omega). The first one (black submariner) arrived today and, while it's early, I'm impressed!

It's an automatic (NO IDEA what cheap movement) and seems to be keeping OK time, granted it's only been a few hour but hey, for $54!

I don't have a scale but the weight feels good. Pretty solid little piece.

It's got screw links (wow). I removed one to fit my wrist and I'm quite surprised by the quality. It appears to even have solid end links and the clasp works well.

Obviously the Cyclops is not 2.5X magnification but it's fairly well aligned and the date wheel looks good. The crystal even has the little crown at six oclock.

So yeah... It's a cheap $54 replica. A total gamble really but I am pleased at this point. I had super low expectations and so far I'm quite impressed with what I got for my money.

Can't wait to see the next ones!

I took some pics...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23f8gCL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GkQxoD]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23f8kJb]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25WaQgU]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GkQwxa]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GkQvpi]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HSaSTW]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23f8hoo]
https://flic.kr/p/23f8hoo

Silverg

I'm Pretty Popular
8/11/08
Us
I have a similar story back from 2008. I ordered an Omega 300m seasmaster blue dial from ioffer. My expectations were extremely low. At the time, I could not believe how great the quality was. Makes me question how "low margin" our TD's here are really working on.

Reactions: auskip07

scottsvalley

2/4/18
Kennewick, WA
I have a similar story back from 2008. I ordered an Omega 300m seasmaster blue dial from ioffer. My expectations were extremely low. At the time, I could not believe how great the quality was. Makes me question how "low margin" our TD's here are really working on.

Great point. Though I suspect what’s actually inside this one would make an Invicta pro-diver look like a Carier!

As as long as it works I’ll keep it in the (very seldom) wear rotation. But as soon as it breaks I’m tearing in to it to see what’s inside!

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
nifty price, seems alot you get for $54. However everything is off on this sub. But hey, you cant complain for that money. Ive seen worse...

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Interesting. You know, if it was rebranded as a sub homage piece I would rate it above the likes of Invica. Obviously everything is off, but a homage would be a different story. Thanks for the pics

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Looks ok for the money. I also dabble in non TD reps at times, dhgate being the main source, and generally speaking they are awful, but, if nothing else, they provide a fantastic gateway into the rep hobby.

Today Dhgate - Tomorrow a Regmariner - next week whatever V noob is the latest and greatest.

Enjoy the watch, and wear it well...

ZD82

Reactions: Machine1980

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
scottsvalley What camera and/or lens did you use to take the pics?

It really amazes me that this el cheapo sub from the gate looks super good in this pics. Good camera/lens, good lighting and of course great photographer.

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
You could have done much worse for $54!

Now that you came to the right place we can sort you out real quick with a proper 116610 :)

Reactions: stufuse

scottsvalley

2/4/18
Kennewick, WA
scottsvalley What camera and/or lens did you use to take the pics?

It really amazes me that this el cheapo sub from the gate looks super good in this pics. Good camera/lens, good lighting and of course great photographer.

First, thank you for the complement! Those were taken with a Nikon D3 and 24-85mm f2.8-4 lens. That lens has a nice macro function to it which makes it possible to get shots like that. I do my editing in Lightroom. The lighting is just a big window next to where I shot the watch. Very similar setup to the shots I took of my BK PAM111. In fact I believe BK is using those shots now in his PAM111 “sticky”.

Last edited:
Reactions: leo6929

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
First, thank you for the complement! Those were taken with a Nikon D3 and 24-85mm f2.8-4 lens. That lens has a nice macro function to it which makes it possible to get shots like that. I do my editing in Lightroom. The lighting is just a big window next to where I shot the watch. Very similar setup to the shots I took of my BK PAM111. In fact I believe BK is using those shots now in his PAM111 “sticky”.

Yes, BK uses your PAM pics for his "advert". It is a huge compliment though.
Great job, my friend!

Reactions: scottsvalley

stolt

Known Member
3/12/06
looks good i did the same thing, read loads, got lots of conflicting advice, too many factories and if im going to spend £300-600 on decent rep i want to make sure its decent so have for the moment bought some DH gate reps and see how good they are, im nver going to pretend they are genuine watches anyway but i just want a collection of watches i can wear. hopfully at some stage i can order TD watch and compare the differences. But DH are very well priced and i wonder if some of the cheapy watches on the TD are not the same.

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
looks good i did the same thing, read loads, got lots of conflicting advice, too many factories and if im going to spend £300-600 on decent rep i want to make sure its decent so have for the moment bought some DH gate reps and see how good they are, im nver going to pretend they are genuine watches anyway but i just want a collection of watches i can wear. hopfully at some stage i can order TD watch and compare the differences. But DH are very well priced and i wonder if some of the cheapy watches on the TD are not the same.

There was a thread discussing TDs' rejected watches.
When we buy a rep from a TD, we get QC pics, and many OCD, unrealistic, amateur newbies reject microscopic flaws or typical rep misalignments, and those rejects may be taken by dealers from DH Gate. As you all know, DH Gate sellers don't give you QC pic. As for price difference, the more we reject QC from TD, the higher we're gonna spend on rep from TD.

Keylog74

14/6/13
There was a thread discussing TDs' rejected watches.
those rejects may be taken by dealers from DH Gate. .

This is just pure bs and here is why. First TD don’t buy any watch they get your money send a guy to the factory and take pic the watch for you. just because you reject cq doesn’t mean watch is worth less...

You reject someone else accepts… Second, you reject watch goes back to factory fixed and up and for sale again.

There have been more speculation this lately days rwi has grown that during the whole forum history.New guys really got nothing to do more than mind TDs business...

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
This is just pure bs and here is why. First TD don’t buy any watch they get your money send a guy to the factory and take pic the watch for you. just because you reject cq doesn’t mean watch is worth less...

You reject someone else accepts… Second, you reject watch goes back to factory fixed and up and for sale again.

There have been more speculation this lately days rwi has grown that during the whole forum history.New guys really got nothing to do more than mind TDs business...

Not sure if you are calling me bs or the theory/speculation is bs. I know how TDs and factories relationships work. The speculation is what happens to the watches that are rejected multiple times by members from RWI, RWG, RG and other. Are those rejected watch really sent back to the factory to be corrected? or hundred others sellers from Ali or the Gate are willing to take them as is.

robbish_uk

Looking Around
24/10/18
Looks good, I’ve just done the same, $50, was astounded at the quality. It’d be nice to know what’s off about it. I went to Boston last week and handled a genuine white gold Subbie, in an AD and must admit there didn’t seem to be much difference, apart from the weight (ultra heavy) and cost ($24500). The only annoying thing for me was that mine had a tiny crown between the words Swiss and Made...why would they do that...to show it was obviously a fake? As a watch, it was a bargain! Sapphire, ceramic, hacking second hand, Magnification at 2.5x, smooth crown thread, solid end links, screwed links, warmer coloured indices surrounds, and I’m getting 2 secs plus per day. The indices line up, the Rolex words on the rehaut look good and it’s oh so comfortable. No glide lock, but I can live without that and I guess it’d fill with water if I dunked in the ocean, what’s not to like?

Bigcity777

31/7/19
US / Closing deals
Not sure if you are calling me bs or the theory/speculation is bs. I know how TDs and factories relationships work. The speculation is what happens to the watches that are rejected multiple times by members from RWI, RWG, RG and other. Are those rejected watch really sent back to the factory to be corrected? or hundred others sellers from Ali or the Gate are willing to take them as is.

I'm with you on this .. it is more cost effective for the factory to sell the "blemish" or rejected watches for a lesser price then to have to pay extra workers to take back and allegedly fix the issues .. these factory's deal in volume and let me tell you I'm pretty sure NOTHING Goes to waste whether it's time or parts .. if its rejected it just gets sold as is for a lesser price and the factory keeps moving and pumping out product until the next raid ...

Last edited:

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I'm with you on this .. it is more cost effective for the factory to sell the "blemish" or rejected watches for a lesser price then to have to pay extra workers to take back and allegedly fix the issues .. these factory's deal in volume and let me tell you I'm pretty sure NOTHING Goes to waste whether it's time or parts .. if its rejected it just gets sold as is for a lesser price and the factory keeps moving and pumping out product until the next raid ...

Yeah, I was once in a manufacturing industry for a little bit in the beginning of my career life, and I saw the QC rejects due to minor flaws sold to outlet shops. We see this business model in the US; TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross and etc. I believe rep factories would do the same thing if there are small time dealers willing to take the rejects. Why not, right? Very much cost effective.

Reactions: Bigcity777