• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JJS Rolex 16610LN Z-Serial: First Look

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
I’ll admit up front that I’ve never really been a fan of the Rolex 16610LN Series over the past year and a half that I’ve been in the hobby. That is, until recently. After having held onto a few TC 16610’s and only finding out that the maker has been long gone, I had to look for an alternative that will either match or surpass TC. I wanted something very good out of the box, so I wanted to give JJS 16610LN a try. I think I may have found the answer.

iugiQHy.jpg

Aesthetically speaking, the enthusiasts will be able to tell that the watch has a few minor flaws. However, as many of you may know, JJS is based on a JF No-Rehaut platform that is highly modified in terms of metalwork, and everything else is up to you. I only opted in for a few Genuine parts which are the insert and the datewheel. This addresses the major noticeable flaws and I think it will be a good starting point for figuring out which direction I’d like to take the watch to. The flaws don’t concern me at the moment as I’ve been told that this fits most gen parts.

kYEnxVk.jpg

‘Nakai San’ decided to add a natural patina to the case amidst the Superluminova Dial and Hands. Let’s have a closer look at the midcase.

6y3XkwQ.jpg

I know people always talk about lugs, crownguards, and SELs on the 16610. What do you think?

Af30jnJ.jpg

gCDKQU5.jpg

Overall, I have found my daily driver. I am truly blown away with the overall fit and finish of the watch and will definitely be getting an upgrade within the next couple of months while I gather more gen parts and hope to make this hard to tell apart from Gen.

YrweDVA.jpg

htlRQ3R.jpg

seIgQJJ.jpg

dFhgTDq.jpg

o8zLV1N.jpg

E1DjexL.jpg

Within the next couple of days, I will be putting this alongside a Gen so you guys can have a closer look at it in comparison to the real deal.

Again, thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
OK. I know that you are excited about your build as I would be also.

The group building these watches are great people. and all respectable. This is why I will comment honestly.

While I do believe the JF case is amazing. Not the JF cases that are coming out right now. The JF case coming out now are terrible,. They destroyed the crown guards. Heck a Startime looks bigger. We need to call it what it is.

That is the first thing. The second thing is on a JF the bezel feels like crap. Cheap clicking.

We have a great guy servicing the SH3135 who knows his stuff. But that won't fix the issues of bezel and crown guards.

The fact that it is using a SH3135 is amazing. Giving the buyer an opportunity to build a 3135 watch he can love. But it starts with a case.

Here is the list good JF case I saw. It was a JF 2nd generation., Yes it had rehaut engraving. I took it out and polished the rehaut an made it shine like rolex. Also reworked the case too look as close to Rolex as possible. Came out amazing. Look at the crown guards. This is good.
IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1472_1.jpg

Can we really compare this to this:::::::

Af30jnJ.jpg

Here is a great shot of the crown guard. Not the stumpy thing that JF is putting out right now. I would have a sit down with them to discuss what is gig on.

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

But look at the crown guards. They look right.

IMG_1471_1.jpg

Now look at the shine fo the rehaut. Rolex like.

IMG_1470_1.jpg

Reactions: lpl and ginopino

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
occb2

Here's a clip of the bezel operation:

Here's another angle of the CG's:
38wmhjR.jpg

Keep in mind that this is JF Crown which hasn't been upgraded to Gen yet.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Yep. I hear the cheap china click. On a real rolex It takes effort. You have to push down to remove the tension, the reason the tension ring is there and then move the bezel with force. Then the click is a sharp and click with a dull sound. I will video it and maybe you can see the difference.

I know they are doing wonderful work. But the JF is flawed right now with the crown guards and the bezel. For me to get the click right I transferred everything over from my phong. Real crystal retention ring, real click real tension ring and real bezel. It fit great but really a ST upgrade for $100 bucks would be an improvement over the stock JF. There are a lot of perks with the JF case. Best lug and thickness of a case too date in the rep world. Better than TC. But issues lever the less. Pleas show me a real rolex 16610T case with crowns like that. I am the first not to judge CG's because each can be different depending on how many time a watch has been serviced. But I would believe that CG so small, rolex would reject the case and ask you if you wanted a replacement case.

Enjoy your watch as is. 95% of people have no clue. Its us and guys like me that It will drive crazy. I am still looking for the perfect case. Heck I just went to a 2nd generation JF case for a phong t case. Ill see how long I leave it. But so far great results.

s

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Here you go. This is a real click sound and feel. Sorry about the video. Its 6 am I'm my house hold.

So I dont know if you can tell in the video. It isn't and easy two finger turn with no effort like the JF. You need a lot of effort or I won't turn and you need the down force of your fingers to take the slack off the tension washer to move the bezel it not is will just stay there locked.

mrroeyl

Known Member
12/3/14
The tension required to turn a gen bezel varies. I owned an A serial 16610 that required lighter tension to turn. However, the click sound is exactly the same as occb2's and this was actually the first difference I noticed after getting the gen vs my TC frankens. It seems that the bezel feel/sound is the hardest to replicate. My current gen 114060 bezel turns even easier than the 16610 and has a tiny bit of backplay. But like the 16610 the sound is still the same - sharp and crisp.

It's hard to replicate the feel of modern sub and I think any gen owner would be able to easily tell a rep based off just the feel from winding the crown and time setting. The smoothness of the 3130/3135 compared to clone/eta movement is too noticeable, even if the rep is 100% visually perfect.

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Ive owned and serviced quite a few 5 digits and bezel click definitely varies. I've had ones that were loose enough to move just by staring at it and ones that that took some force to move as well. I can say the newest JFs, are a happy medium, and you could probably either modify the click spring or use a ST one to get a more pronounced click if thats what you want.

Ill agree though, the crown guards are meh on the latest JFs. not sure if you can sink the crown a touch to get them to look not as stubby. There is a little meat on the case there that can go away.

And the SH... I have a love hate relationship. when they go back together and nothing breaks, they are amazing. Spent all weekend on gen 3135s and sh3135s and all 6 of the sh3135 were money after a good ultrasonic bath and the proper lubrication.

Once i get my funds built back up, im gonna try to get my hands on the JJS to compare to gen, franken w/ reshaped st case, franken w/ phong case, franken tc, and a stock JF.

sh3135
20180331_154914fb4a9306cccd6a98.jpg

Reshaped Startime Case Franken w/ above movement.
152268684543410703529295ba1a5612ab28acd.jpg

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
I give up. At this point, you can't even tell apart a Chinese kid from his younger brother (from a Swiss Mother - left) lol ;)
WspIhKI.jpg

Reactions: electric

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Ive owned and serviced quite a few 5 digits and bezel click definitely varies. I've had ones that were loose enough to move just by staring at it and ones that that took some force to move as well. I can say the newest JFs, are a happy medium, and you could probably either modify the click spring or use a ST one to get a more pronounced click if thats what you want.

Ill agree though, the crown guards are meh on the latest JFs. not sure if you can sink the crown a touch to get them to look not as stubby. There is a little meat on the case there that can go away.

And the SH... I have a love hate relationship. when they go back together and nothing breaks, they are amazing. Spent all weekend on gen 3135s and sh3135s and all 6 of the sh3135 were money after a good ultrasonic bath and the proper lubrication.

Once i get my funds built back up, im gonna try to get my hands on the JJS to compare to gen, franken w/ reshaped st case, franken w/ phong case, franken tc, and a stock JF.

sh3135
20180331_154914fb4a9306cccd6a98.jpg

Reshaped Startime Case Franken w/ above movement.
152268684543410703529295ba1a5612ab28acd.jpg

Absolute. I noticed the older the watch got the softer the click got. On my 16710 it was almost non existent. But on the JF it is very replica like. I would invest in a ST bezel and click system on the watch as an upgrade. If you can get your hands on the supplier of TC's PA2. OMG that would be heaven.

mrroeyl

Known Member
12/3/14
Absolute. I noticed the older the watch got the softer the click got. On my 16710 it was almost non existent. But on the JF it is very replica like. I would invest in a ST bezel and click system on the watch as an upgrade. If you can get your hands on the supplier of TC's PA2. OMG that would be heaven.

Can anyone just buy from Startime or do you need to request for an account?

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Can anyone just buy from Startime or do you need to request for an account?

you need an account, and need proof that you are a watch repair shop to get the account. Its been getting harder and harder to get accounts.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I’ll admit up front that I’ve never really been a fan of the Rolex 16610LN Series over the past year and a half that I’ve been in the hobby. That is, until recently. After having held onto a few TC 16610’s and only finding out that the maker has been long gone, I had to look for an alternative that will either match or surpass TC. I wanted something very good out of the box, so I wanted to give JJS 16610LN a try. I think I may have found the answer.

Aesthetically speaking, the enthusiasts will be able to tell that the watch has a few minor flaws. However, as many of you may know, JJS is based on a JF No-Rehaut platform that is highly modified in terms of metalwork, and everything else is up to you. I only opted in for a few Genuine parts which are the insert and the datewheel. This addresses the major noticeable flaws and I think it will be a good starting point for figuring out which direction I’d like to take the watch to. The flaws don’t concern me at the moment as I’ve been told that this fits most gen parts.

‘Nakai San’ decided to add a natural patina to the case amidst the Superluminova Dial and Hands. Let’s have a closer look at the midcase.

I know people always talk about lugs, crownguards, and SELs on the 16610. What do you think?

Overall, I have found my daily driver. I am truly blown away with the overall fit and finish of the watch and will definitely be getting an upgrade within the next couple of months while I gather more gen parts and hope to make this hard to tell apart from Gen.

Within the next couple of days, I will be putting this alongside a Gen so you guys can have a closer look at it in comparison to the real deal.

Again, thank you, JJS over at horologyboard.com

That's some quite serious plugging going on there - did they pay you to do this ? - because if they didn't they should have - a well written, professionally laid out critique with just a hint of doubt and hesitancy.

You asked about the crown guards. I'll be honest, they look like fucking shit. I've never seen such ridiculously short stubby, stumpy crown guards on a rep watch - whether it's been reworked by a self proclaimed guru or OOTB.

Don't know if you noticed but the dial isn't centred - sits noticeably to the right. And there's a crack in your pearl.

Are you going to tell us who is behind JJS ? I know who it is, I'm just wondering if you'll tell the truth.

Last edited:

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16

iugiQHy.jpg

kYEnxVk.jpg

6y3XkwQ.jpg

Af30jnJ.jpg

gCDKQU5.jpg

May I ask how much they charge for the casework etc (gen parts excluded)? Do buyers need to provide their own JFs or can you buy an "all in one package" eg. watch plus services?

timto1388

16/10/16
United Kingdom
That's some quite serious plugging going on there - did they pay you to do this ? - because if they didn't they should have - a well written, professionally laid out critique with just a hint of doubt and hesitancy.

You asked about the crown guards. I'll be honest, they look like fucking shit. I've never seen such ridiculously short stubby, stumpy crown guards on a rep watch - whether it's been reworked by a self proclaimed guru or OOTB.

Don't know if you noticed but the dial isn't centred - sits noticeably to the right. And there's a crack in your pearl.

Are you going to tell us who is behind JJS ? I know who it is, I'm just wondering if you'll tell the truth.

Have you got anything build by yourself better than this JJs ?

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: lpl

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
lpl Thanks! I have been on the fence for a while but decided to place my order! This is gorgeous and pretty much perfect