• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Baselworld 2018

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Interesting Basel World to say the least. Clearly evident that Rolex is pushing their PM agenda pretty heavy, understandably so as that's their most lucrative margin. Slowly suffocating the SS range. Pepsi on SS is interesting but they've cornered the model to not derail the WG pepsi by putting it on a jubilee bracelet, most likely not compatible with an oyster bracelet. Truthfully the blue dial pepsi is pretty hideous in my opinion. GMT models seem pretty bloated, so many variants in comparison to the submariners. To combat this I expect them to purge most of the existing line in 2019--would only make sense. Doubt Rolex will turn into a Hublot brand with 5,000 color options. The rose is definitely a test ground for the GMT & future sport models in PM. I just dont like a jubilee on a sport model but thats just my personal taste. I find the diamond daytona funny as well, who buys this stuff? Musicians, celebrities, Dubai kings? Stupid marketing in my opinion, you'll never see someone with that on the subway. 9.5k msrp for the gmt is fair IMO though after mark up I expect to see these guys around 22k for the first month & settle around 16-18k--make people think why not PM then?

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Interesting Basel World to say the least. Clearly evident that Rolex is pushing their PM agenda pretty heavy, understandably so as that's their most lucrative margin. Slowly suffocating the SS range. Pepsi on SS is interesting but they've cornered the model to not derail the WG pepsi by putting it on a jubilee bracelet, most likely not compatible with an oyster bracelet. Truthfully the blue dial pepsi is pretty hideous in my opinion. GMT models seem pretty bloated, so many variants in comparison to the submariners. To combat this I expect them to purge most of the existing line in 2019--would only make sense. Doubt Rolex will turn into a Hublot brand with 5,000 color options. The rose is definitely a test ground for the GMT & future sport models in PM. I just dont like a jubilee on a sport model but thats just my personal taste. I find the diamond daytona funny as well, who buys this stuff? Musicians, celebrities, Dubai kings? Stupid marketing in my opinion, you'll never see someone with that on the subway. 9.5k msrp for the gmt is fair IMO though after mark up I expect to see these guys around 22k for the first month & settle around 16-18k--make people think why not PM then?

Good post. I agree 100%

TommiBa

18/4/16
That gmt ii is to die for - and finally in steel! should ease the "replicability" lol.

Saw on hodinkee that Tudor took the gmt pepsi plunge too! should be good

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
More than disappointed. GMTIIC Pepsi was reserved for WG only and I liked this. It put a certain prestige level to the watch and now the world / market will be as flooded with Pepsis as with the 5 digit reference. It's a pain. Also what is that blue dial? I guess we can be lucky they didn't put a hulk dial in there. That RG GMT- what should I say? All that comes to my mind is bonkers. Their creativity is really lacking.

Big_Pilot

26/5/17

Just so I get the lingo:
- PM = Precious Metal
- WG = White Gold
- SS = major paramilitary organization under Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
The boys on TRF are not too happy either! I honestly think the root beer looks very cool! I am not a fan of YG at all, and making a RG GMT (and TT with RG) is a nice move. I absolutely love brown on RG.

SS Pepsi will definitely be a hot number, I can't believe they put it on Jubilee, but damn does it look just great. I think it's funny that we all thought the WG GMT was definitely going away, just to find it was replaced with a new dial variant. I think the blue dial GMT looks GREAT but they should have put the GMT MASTER writing in red IMHO

dc2_bb6_cu2

Renowned Member
18/6/17
I’d love to see some real world pics of the Pepsi GMT. Pics I see online look like white balance is off the color is weird. Not a fan of jubilee either, so probably going to continue on to make the LN my first gen purchase. I’m sure it’ll be hella popular tho, as with the Batman

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
- SS = major paramilitary organization under Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party

Hahahaha. Hey that might be accurate considering the resale market...

ironmiketyson

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/5/15
There is a new coronet on the black dials if you guys zoom enough at 6'oclock position in the middle of "Swiss Made" .

I hope all the factories won't get it wrong while replicating it .
8f7ce225cdfadd9276c3417ae1a05bf2.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I’d love to see some real world pics of the Pepsi GMT. Pics I see online look like white balance is off the color is weird. Not a fan of jubilee either, so probably going to continue on to make the LN my first gen purchase. I’m sure it’ll be hella popular tho, as with the Batman

First pic is not CG.

ironmiketyson

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/5/15
Closer pics of the GMT's .
96019f1eb11187e8d74068f6bf456533.jpg
ed51c78edd71378c6cfbcc54d34fb09d.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
I really like the updated case and bracelet on the DSSD. It also has the flatter pearl like the SD43. I expect we'll see the Subs get those subtle changes next year, along with the new movement.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
When will these be available at the AD? ( Based on historical release dates )

ottomatic

Renowned Member
Supporter
12/2/12
When will these be available at the AD? ( Based on historical release dates )

Availability of the new models has varied over the years. They had the SD43 in stores pretty quick last year. They started showing up in May.

Reactions: johnlogan