• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Oyster band flex question

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
I have been looking for info on this, but can't seem to find it. My question is for all of you guys with high-quality Rolex reps with oyster bracelets(ie noob V7 or Yachtmaster etc). My question is about how much the links are free to move from side to side. The classic test is to hold the watch by the clasp and hold it parallel to the ground. I know that genuine oyster Rolex's have almost no flex at all side to side in the links, and I want to know how well reps do in this area. To me, this is quite important but is never covered in ANY rep review, seemingly. Thanks for any input!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The 'classic test' as you call it used to show the amount of wear on used bracelets, not new bracelets - holding the watch up side ways will show the amount of sag in the bracelet, thus showing the amount of wear between the links.

People who do it to new watch bracelets are probably the same people who kick car tyres when they want to show their extensive mechanical knowledge.

Good quality reps in the $350 - $500 range have pretty solidly constructed bracelets with very little play between the links - it's not up to gen standards, but that's because a gen bracelet costs about $1400 new, and a rep bracelet costs about $60 new.

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
I have 2 noob v7 subc a BP subc and a Nodate jf v2 subc bracelet. Out of all these the jf has the smallest play between the links and moves the least from side to side. hope this helps

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
The 'classic test' as you call it used to show the amount of wear on used bracelets, not new bracelets - holding the watch up side ways will show the amount of sag in the bracelet, thus showing the amount of wear between the links. People who do it to new watch bracelets are probably the same people who kick car tyres when they want to show their extensive mechanical knowledge.
Why can't it also be used to show how tight the bracelet is? My question directly relates to the amount of sag that the rep bracelets have, which by your own admission is what the test does. I asked my question because my experience with bracelets that are on non-rep watches in the 3-400 dollar range has been that they are all very loose and saggy. I wish more watches in the ~350 range had tight, non-saggy bracelets. I really don't see how this relates to kicking a car tire, though. Doesn't seem analogous. I think people kick car tires more often as a really easy(albeit not accurate) way to gauge the air pressure in it.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I LOL'd - really.

Kicking a car tyre will in no way give an accurate measurement of the air pressure inside.

Holding up brand new watches by the side to show the amount of sag in the bracelet is done by people who have no idea why they are doing it - or else they are in the habit of buying cheap crappy watches made to very low standards where play between links is. In your OP you are talking about genuine Rolex and the replicas of them, then later you make the comparison with low end gens.

Anyway, you seem to be an expert, I'll let you carry on - you seem to know what you are doing.

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
Kicking a car tyre will in no way give an accurate measurement of the air pressure inside.

You know, that's really funny. It is almost as if my previous post said that the method of kicking your tire to measure pressure wasn't accurate! Holy crap! What a coincidence! It's almost as if you didn't actually read my post!

Holding up brand new watches by the side to show the amount of sag in the bracelet is done by people who have no idea why they are doing it - or else they are in the habit of buying cheap crappy watches made to very low standards where play between links is. In your OP you are talking about genuine Rolex and the replicas of them, then later you make the comparison with low end gens.

What are you talking about? You do realize that Grand Seiko makes 10000 dollar watches that have loose bracelets with a lot of play in the links, right? I hope you aren't proposing that GS watches are cheap and crappy. That is just how GS operates; it is their style. I also have literally handled 3 watches in my life with bracelets. An Invicta pro diver(that was a mistake), a Seiko SARB033, and a Seiko SKX. All of them have very loose bracelets(especially the SKX, though it's a jubilee, so can be forgiven). When I hold my SARB up by the clasp, it basically sags down as much as it can go before each link touches its neighbor, and I only bought the watch in November! There's nothing wrong with that, but I personally think I'd enjoy a tighter, more secure feeling bracelet on a watch. Also, what's the problem comparing "low end gens"(which I take to mean the 300-ish dollar range) to higher end replicas. They are both watches that are around the same price.

Anyway, you seem to be an expert, I'll let you carry on - you seem to know what you are doing.

I don't understand why you are being such an asshat about this. Yes, you are clearly more knowledgeable about reps than I am, and I'll freely admit that, but my question is still perfectly valid considering my very limited experience with watches that have bracelets. I can honestly tell you that I have NEVER seen someone wearing a Rolex in real life(maybe they have been, but I didn't notice, and I only started paying attention to watches ~6 months ago). Every person I know thinks my love of watches is totally insane, and they think that I'd have to be nuts to spend 1000's on watches(my brother-in-law said that my SKX was a "really expensive watch" after I told him it was $160). This is the case despite the fact that some watch guys complain/comment about how common Submariners are, and how you see one every other day or more. I've also never been to a watch dealer, so haven't been able to handle any high-end watches. Now this whole paragraph may seem like a bit of a tangent, but I think it is relevant. My whole point is that I have very limited bracelet experience, and just wanted to know how tight the bracelets on reps were, and I don't think your snarky comments are justified. Thank you.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
You know, that's really funny. It is almost as if my previous post said that the method of kicking your tire to measure pressure wasn't accurate! Holy crap! What a coincidence! It's almost as if you didn't actually read my post!

What are you talking about? You do realize that Grand Seiko makes 10000 dollar watches that have loose bracelets with a lot of play in the links, right? I hope you aren't proposing that GS watches are cheap and crappy. That is just how GS operates; it is their style. I also have literally handled 3 watches in my life with bracelets. An Invicta pro diver(that was a mistake), a Seiko SARB033, and a Seiko SKX. All of them have very loose bracelets(especially the SKX, though it's a jubilee, so can be forgiven). When I hold my SARB up by the clasp, it basically sags down as much as it can go before each link touches its neighbor, and I only bought the watch in November! There's nothing wrong with that, but I personally think I'd enjoy a tighter, more secure feeling bracelet on a watch. Also, what's the problem comparing "low end gens"(which I take to mean the 300-ish dollar range) to higher end replicas. They are both watches that are around the same price.

I don't understand why you are being such an asshat about this. Yes, you are clearly more knowledgeable about reps than I am, and I'll freely admit that, but my question is still perfectly valid considering my very limited experience with watches that have bracelets. I can honestly tell you that I have NEVER seen someone wearing a Rolex in real life(maybe they have been, but I didn't notice, and I only started paying attention to watches ~6 months ago). Every person I know thinks my love of watches is totally insane, and they think that I'd have to be nuts to spend 1000's on watches(my brother-in-law said that my SKX was a "really expensive watch" after I told him it was $160). This is the case despite the fact that some watch guys complain/comment about how common Submariners are, and how you see one every other day or more. I've also never been to a watch dealer, so haven't been able to handle any high-end watches. Now this whole paragraph may seem like a bit of a tangent, but I think it is relevant. My whole point is that I have very limited bracelet experience, and just wanted to know how tight the bracelets on reps were, and I don't think your snarky comments are justified. Thank you.

Trip is speaking the truth. When you see the older subs, as a 5513 to the 16610 they were hollow center links. So they would wear in the center link and cause play in the band. Very tinny feeling. Even the SEL version, the 93250 hand the middle link hollow. So it would stretch.

That being said. If you have a 97200, it is all solid. The sides and middle links. If someone were to hold it sideways to show the stretch, they are fools. I would love to see stretched solid mid links. This is the reason they did this. Only the GMT and the Sub were the last too swatch to it.

There is no need too take what Trip saids as an argument. He is just answering your question and accurate at that. The comments are not snarky. They are honest. The older crap of the 91350 in the reps or the 93250's that were reps. They behaved as the real ones. If you wore it tight it would stretch. The newer stuff with solid mid links, they are fine. Heck, you can buy fake 93250 and 93150's that have solid center links and they wouldn't stretch either.

Bottom line. It will all depend on the maker but I dont know one 116610 or 116710 that has a band that will stretch.

Quality? That is a different explanation. The band or straps or claps or solid end link fit, might be all over the place. That is more of a quality question on the newer band.

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
Trip is speaking the truth. When you see the older subs, as a 5513 to the 16610 they were hollow center links. So they would wear in the center link and cause play in the band. Very tinny feeling. Even the SEL version, the 93250 hand the middle link hollow. So it would stretch.

That being said. If you have a 97200, it is all solid. The sides and middle links. If someone were to hold it sideways to show the stretch, they are fools. I would love to see stretched solid mid links. This is the reason they did this. Only the GMT and the Sub were the last too swatch to it.

There is no need too take what Trip saids as an argument. He is just answering your question and accurate at that. The comments are not snarky. They are honest. The older crap of the 91350 in the reps or the 93250's that were reps. They behaved as the real ones. If you wore it tight it would stretch. The newer stuff with solid mid links, they are fine. Heck, you can buy fake 93250 and 93150's that have solid center links and they wouldn't stretch either.

Bottom line. It will all depend on the maker but I dont know one 116610 or 116710 that has a band that will stretch.

Quality? That is a different explanation. The band or straps or claps or solid end link fit, might be all over the place. That is more of a quality question on the newer band.

I don't really see how this pertains to my question. I am only annoyed at trip because he took an innocent question that I asked because I have little experience, and with his very first comment, compared me with someone who kicks a car tire to demonstrate knowledge. I don't really see how the fact that older subs had more loose, folded bracelets that stretch easily relates to my question. Anyway, thanks for the info.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

I didn't bother to read your jibber jabber - you're an idiot.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I don't really see how this pertains to my question. I am only annoyed at trip because he took an innocent question that I asked because I have little experience, and with his very first comment, compared me with someone who kicks a car tire to demonstrate knowledge. I don't really see how the fact that older subs had more loose, folded bracelets that stretch easily relates to my question. Anyway, thanks for the info.

By your own admission you have little experience (boy, does it show . . ) yet you seem to know all the answers to your questions - if this is the case, why ask the question ?

Why cite folded link bracelets ? - rivet link, folded link, and solid link bracelets will all develop wear between the links, thus giving sag.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Whats interesting is that you base the bracelets 'quality' on its 'sag' or lack thereof.
The bottom line is that your 'test' is an incredibly arbitrary and personal measure of quality.

You said it yourself - a GS has some slack - This is GS = there is ZERO chance that it is accidental - its like that by design.

Last edited:

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
By your own admission you have little experience (boy, does it show . . ) yet you seem to know all the answers to your questions - if this is the case, why ask the question ?

Why cite folded link bracelets ? - rivet link, folded link, and solid link bracelets will all develop wear between the links, thus giving sag.

I NEVER SAID THAT I KNEW THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS! Fuck me, you are more dense than a fuckin' black hole! Your escape velocity must be faster than the speed of the expansion of the universe when it was 10^-43 seconds old! I do not understand how someone so unwilling to change his position or accept nuance can be well respected in any community! I ask a question, you then make a snarky comment about it, to which I respond without any malice whatsoever, to which you respond that you lol'd about my comment and then sarcastically call me an expert. I then make a detailed reply, which you proceed to not read and then call me an idiot. I never said I knew any answers to any questions! I just wanted to know a simple thing. All it would take would be for you to say "the bracelets are tight with little play, until they get old and worn" to which I could reply "thanks for the info" and this bullshit wouldn't have happened.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I NEVER SAID THAT I KNEW THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS! Fuck me, you are more dense than a fuckin' black hole! Your escape velocity must be faster than the speed of the expansion of the universe when it was 10^-43 seconds old! I do not understand how someone so unwilling to change his position or accept nuance can be well respected in any community! I ask a question, you then make a snarky comment about it, to which I respond without any malice whatsoever, to which you respond that you lol'd about my comment and then sarcastically call me an expert. I then make a detailed reply, which you proceed to not read and then call me an idiot. I never said I knew any answers to any questions! I just wanted to know a simple thing. All it would take would be for you to say "the bracelets are tight with little play, until they get old and worn" to which I could reply "thanks for the info" and this bullshit wouldn't have happened.

Would you like your Mom to come and collect you ?

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
Would you like your Mom to come and collect you ?

Eh, not really. She died a few years ago. She had me at age 42, so she was not alive for all that long in my life. Oh well. I have seven older siblings, the oldest of whom is 18 years older than me, so they knew her for much longer. Anyway thanks for the conversation. Hope you have a good day t-dog.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The trump card.

repnoob12345

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/18
Holy shit. This "personwholikeswatches" fellow is such a fucking idiot! Does he really think he know more than one of the most respected and knowledgeable members of this forum? I bet he's some sad, deadbeat 21-year-old living in his mom's basement, pretending that she's dead to try to get some bullshit sympathy points. I lose faith in future generations more and more each day.