• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer 214270 - Clasp and Bracelet rework by Andrei01 [MANYPHOTOS]

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Hi everybody, after reading smoke thread about his clasp reworked by andrei01, I asked my-self if a similar work could be possibile on my Explorer Clasp.

The JF 214270 is really a nice rep, IMHO is a NWBIG without any doubt, but like many other reps, there is room to emprove it.

What I don't like most from the watch, is exactly the clasp. Seen from afar, is not so bad, but in the hands something disturbs me. The extender want stay in place, the edges are too sharp, the crown is brushed and not polished like the gen and also the safe close on the clasp could be emproved.

I asked Andrei if it was possible and he asked me YES, so I'm here to share my happiness with all of you.

I send him the whole bracelet because the screw near the clasp were so stiff that I preferred to don't touch them.
In the meantime that the bracelet was in his hands he did some brushing and polishing job also on it.

This is the situation before shipping:

vpMfx0h.jpg

dNF6kNC.jpg

Gy32WS0.jpg

3gIzWzv.jpg

vTpr0Na.jpg

As you can see the clasp had sharp edges, and I can assure you that they where sharp enough to bother and ruin some cuffs of my shirts...
Also the bracelet was not so well brushed, with oblique lines instead of straight ones.

The work starts:

aVF9DUz.jpg

First the clasp:

OB2vi2v.jpg

q1kSEwj.jpg

Look now how the secure is closing good, perfectly close on both side!

3w2UlHu.jpg

ZFTF1Cy.jpg

lpFKaND.jpg

09vw93r.jpg

Perfectly buffed edges, perfectly rounded to match the pictorial gen. Crown polished like the gen, the JF comes with a wrong brushed crown.

Now the bracelet:

a5F5NZH.jpg

zgEf24R.jpg

PJDZsn9.jpg

P214XYi.jpg

Tha bracelet was first professionally brushed and mirror finished on the side.
After this it was gently "massaged by hand" with specific grease, to reach every inner part of the links and give it the "marmble" solid effect that a brand new gen bracelet has.
And believe me, he reached this goal.
The bracelet is now incredibly solid and wonderful to touch.
Honestly, I didn't think there would be so much difference, but there is, and it's huge!

Now some pics of the whole thing:

59rT3kd.jpg

cXy4pqC.jpg

oRezS2G.jpg

GtYn47R.jpg

MwhzgaM.jpg

SmoQOf9.jpg

oG0JvEm.jpg

hzAfplp.jpg

USJrSx9.jpg

YmDkzPe.jpg

0QXwxEj.jpg

Ns59QvS.jpg

nBK7vCG.jpg

Gen Vs Rep after work:

ksHpATf.jpg

As you can see, the look is really near to gen. Unfortunately the crown is not so well shaped by JF and the "hole" where the fingernail goes to open the "secure" is a little different in dimension.
For this last particular, we both agree to leave it as is. A reshape is possible but needs much time and is a little too risky because it needs to be done by hand with all the difficulty you can imagine.
In my opinion, others are the important things and they were all addressed!
The sharpy edges were so terrible to touch, leaving signs on the bracelet when they come into contact. The closing wasn't perfect, the extender didn't engage. Now all those things are OK!

I want to say thanks to Andrei for the really good job that needs patience and skill, and he have both.
He works as if it were things of his own, with maximum care and precision.
A real professional way, with continuous updates on the job, with pics and information and, last but no the least, he acts like a friend :)

Now that I have it in my hands, I can say with certainty that a mod like this really puts a rep into an upper level, taking care of a things that too many times is not so well considered.
This is really the icing on the cake that a perfectionist can not fail to consider.

Sorry for the huge amount of photo, but I think they are necessary to appreciate all the work done.

:)

Last edited:

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Thank you ginopino fort posting this in-depth review of my work here on the forum. I am so glad you like the end result . Just to be clear guys, i did kindly ask ginopino to post his honest opion here on the forum ( after he receives the bracelet of course) if he wishes but i certainly wasn't expecting such a detailed review :w00t:. Thanks again mate, i really appreciate your effort. Enjoy the watch.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Smashed this one out of the park bro.amazing

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
k4jun 's bracelet

hope you like it mate!

Excellent job mate! Thank you, I wanted this mod soo bad but never really had the time nor the tools for developing the proper technique.
That's the final touch which every decent rep bracelet needs. It addresses the clasp' weakness without spending the little fortune for the gen clasp.
Very glad we are having you here. For sure sure will send you every bracelet intended to be part of the franken, lol
Thank you.

MYS65iD.jpg

CvdUN0o.jpg

L5njo7m.jpg