• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of JF 16610 (no engraving). JF vs Gen vs TC

redsocks

9/1/13
hi guys, this is the first review i am doing so please go easy for me, i hope that this will be of help to someone who is deciding whether to get the new JF 16610.

i ordered this watch from Angus at PURETIME before the forum went down and got it awhile back, was waiting for the forum to be up and running before posting this, as usual communications with Angus was smooth and great, took awhile to get the QC pictures but i guess its because of the holidays and stuff. fast forward a month later and my package arrived.

VqapfX7.jpg

OLlCFcb.jpg

dlzktUj.jpg

2rmlULP.jpg

DDJpTVs.jpg

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

for this order, i ordered the very much talked about JF LV insert as well so i can do a comparison with a gen LV insert, TC v6 insert, and a TC v7x insert.

as usual Angus packaged the items well, the watch is encased with a silicon bezel protector, plastic protector for all the sides, face of the watch, and bracelet.

Last edited:

redsocks

9/1/13

WeofgPI.jpg

oPcEmdU.jpg

the comparison is with my Gen 16610 k series, which has pinholes but comes with a SEL bracelet. and my tc v6 LN which is relatively stock.

in all pictures placement of the watches are as follows:

ruufyyF.jpg

TbnL34L.jpg

left to right, JF/GEN/TC

or

top to bottom,
JF/
GEN/
TC
​ ​

Last edited:

redsocks

9/1/13
at the first glance, they all look similar with not much differences, but upon closer look, you can tell from the shine from the watches that the gen is slightly 'whiter' or 'brighter' than the JF and TC.

T2T3ZtI.jpg
6NHpxHa.jpg
qVi13RF.jpg

1. the date font on the JF is still pretty thick, but it is not much of a problem since datewheels are easy to source, be it gen or aftermarket ones and a modder can do the swap for you. the date font on my TC is also bolder than my gen, but then again there are variances in gen's date font and some are quite bold.

T4Q5QYs.jpg

2. the crown guards, one thing that has always put me off from getting the JF, since the release of their first LV 16610 to the LN to this no engraving LN has been the crown guards, i do not like it for the fact that it is too sharp and pointy, improvements have been made clearly, since the first engraved JF LV, the crown guards have became slightly longer, but it is still 'pointy', this might not be a problem for others though.

Last edited:

redsocks

9/1/13
ZwAqpIX.jpg
tJLJxjn.jpg
WX7K4W6.jpg

3. the bracelet, JF 16610 has a few incidents where the pin connect the SEL to the bracelet broke, i do not know whether they have fixed the issue, but the bracelet on this feels solid, easily the best rep bracelet i have felt.

EfR63XC.jpg
XtzQG5N.jpg
VXpkfmD.jpg

4. the insert, it is actually pretty good, but the pearl, it seem to be slightly under-filled with lume, i'll definitely recommend the user to change to a gen insert. a not expensive mod that can be done yourself for a great deal of difference.

cnb1VyS.jpg

5. the bezel clicks, it is pretty loose, the clicking is not as sharp or as tight as the gen one, but it is an easy fix, you can adjust it yourself or get a click spring from ST and do the change yourself.

Last edited:

redsocks

9/1/13
jYTz2pG.jpg

6. the serial and model engraving, it is nothing like the gen engravings but i suppose it is better than the TC which has a sterile case, it is totally up to you if you want to leave it or to sand it away and send it to a modder to re-engrave it, maybe even drill lug holes to it, jmb does a pretty good job for this.

nV6TgwG.jpg
ZEH9uTs.jpg
CdPw78T.jpg

7. the rehaut dept, this is a serious deciding factor for me as it is really obvious when you look at it closely. the rehaut dept on the JF is not as deep as the gen, but it is slightly deeper than the TC which is a good thing, hope that JF can improve on it further.

redsocks

9/1/13
cQDkc7J.jpg
2IDA0gH.jpg
EgPMbIZ.jpg

8. the crown, one thing ive noticed with the gens is that there is always a gap between the crown and the case, this is widely debated as whether the tube has been counter sunk properly into the case or not, but i personally like the look of the gap. the 'gap' is present is the JF and the gen, but not in my stock TC, perhaps i'll get it changed down the road.

kvnPH32.jpg
uTXq8XM.jpg

9. the bezel scallops, the scalloping in the JF is pretty deep, i think it is ALMOST as deep as the gen, maybe just slightly shallower, the TC v6 comes with a PA1 bezel which has shallow scallops but it got fixed on the v7x.

redsocks

9/1/13
5i54AxQ.jpg

JF vs gen lug width

1txVUYo.jpg

gen vs TC lug width

i believe that it has already been established that the bezels are interchangable with gen, inserts might require some slight sanding (or not), bracelet is interchangle with gen as well.

for me personally, at such a price point for the JF and it coming with the SH3135 is a bargain, the best thing is you get the watch brand new, or you can continue to hunt for your TC, but trust me, out of all the used TC's that ive bought (like 6 of them), 4 of them has issues with the seller not being honest with their description, like slipping movement, slanted datewheel, not to mention the scratches and dings, i mean if you can live with that or willing to spend even more money to fix that then all the best to you in hunting for one.

to be honest, with TC being obsolete, the JF 16610 is the next best thing in line.

please pardon the quality of the pictures, ive always uploaded the pics via tapa and its pretty HD, but i dont know what happened to the resolution since i uploaded these using my computer, please feel free to pm me and i can send you the HD photos, or if you need any other angle of the watches. i will try my best to help.

Last edited:

redsocks

9/1/13
i can only attach 5 photos per post, thats why its split into so many posts, trust me i tried.

here are some pictures of the JF LV bezel insert, compared with gen, TC v6 and TC v7x.

CNoEPom.jpg

the shade of green for the JF is more vibrant, more towards a green tone (closer to the gen), where as the TCs are more towards the olive shade. it is being said that the gens come in a couple of shades of green as well so there is totally nothing wrong with keeping your TC insert.

9SWEtU1.jpg

JF insert on top of my TC v6

6cBYla1.jpg

JF insert on top of my TC v7x

Ux2kAPe.jpg

however, there is a major flaw for the JF, similar to the LN, the LV insert's pearl is also not 'full', there seem to be not enough lume applied to it. but then again for someone to like the greenish tone of the JF insert, can always get a gen LN and swap the pearl over to the JF, i have not done it before but it doesnt seem to be a complicated process.

i hope that with this review, it has helped you to decide whether the JF 16610 is for you.

Last edited:

Stuessi

Renowned Member
9/6/16
Great review the JF really looks nice! What do you think about the JF dial in comparison to the gen?

Reactions: ginopino

ShanghaiStyler

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/17
thanks for this review! the jf is def on my list, these comparisons are really helpful, so thank u,sir!

what made u choose the no renault version vs renault from jf?

tom_cat

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/13
Thanks for the review mate I pulled the trigger on JF ln too let’s wait and see. Hope they fix the bracelet issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stig666

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/16
Nice review, thanks for sharing

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

redsocks

9/1/13
Great review the JF really looks nice! What do you think about the JF dial in comparison to the gen?

The dial actually looks pretty good, the texts are crisp and clean, the lume plots are filled just nice, not under or over filled

Sent from the RWI App

redsocks

9/1/13
thanks for this review! the jf is def on my list, these comparisons are really helpful, so thank u,sir!

what made u choose the no renault version vs renault from jf?

Even tho the one with regatta engravings have the best engravings but far among all the reps, but it still has flaws, some being not align with the dial, or the engraving isn’t as “glossy” or shiny, or the way they engrave, a safer and cleaner option for me personally would be to go for the version without rehaut engravings, and if you wana mod it, tritium sub dials pop up quite often.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: ShanghaiStyler

Matty369

Supporter
Certified
24/8/16
EU
I'm wondering one thing (it's not directly tied to this thread):
Subs - are there post-2007 GENs without rehaut or is it some sort of fantasy model ?
Based on informations I've gathered, since 2007 there are no subs without rehaut. Or are there ?
Thanks for clarification !

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Thank you very much for your comparison and the good review. This would help a lot of interests.
I have also the JF16610LN and a TC16610LV and must say that the JF is top notch at all.
I only changed the datewheel to Gen and the insert to Gen.
Before RWI went down, I wanted to make a comparison between TC and JF.
Your review with a Gen is perfect to see the differences and also how close they are.

​​​​​​Thanks for the review and picture comparison.
Well done.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Thanks a lot for the great comparison! There's a couple of additional things that I would love to hear your thoughts about. 1st thing would be the SELs, on all TDs site there seems to be a gap that you don't find in neither GENs nor TDs. The second thing would be the printing on the dial. The text looked grey rather than white, though it may be a LV issue rather than LN. Not sure so if anyone else has a LV please feel free to chime in :) thanks!

redsocks

9/1/13
Thanks a lot for the great comparison! There's a couple of additional things that I would love to hear your thoughts about. 1st thing would be the SELs, on all TDs site there seems to be a gap that you don't find in neither GENs nor TDs. The second thing would be the printing on the dial. The text looked grey rather than white, though it may be a LV issue rather than LN. Not sure so if anyone else has a LV please feel free to chime in :) thanks!

Tbh the sel on my JF is really tight, in fact it’s so tight that I have to find the right angle to fit the sel back in, my gen is looser than that. When you get your qc photos, the gaps look more obvious because the light is reflecting from the back, therefore the gap looks really obvious.

Also the jf has the correct sel “hump”, the tc v6 has a protruding sel hump which is an instant tell, but it has been corrected in the tc v7.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Tobel

redsocks

9/1/13
Thank you very much for your comparison and the good review. This would help a lot of interests.
I have also the JF16610LN and a TC16610LV and must say that the JF is top notch at all.
I only changed the datewheel to Gen and the insert to Gen.
Before RWI went down, I wanted to make a comparison between TC and JF.
Your review with a Gen is perfect to see the differences and also how close they are.

​​​​​​Thanks for the review and picture comparison.
Well done.

For the price of the JF with a SH3135, it’s a bargain really. A very good base to mod or enjoy.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Tobel