• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Introducing RWI to Beasy's Batman 116710 Super Franken!!!

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Hi All,

Some of you may have seen this on RG already from a month or so ago but today I would like to introduce to RWI my latest completed Project…. A Super Franken 116710 BLNR GMT Master II, also known as “Batman” or "Bruiser" – with all education and assembly provided by none other than the Rolex master himself @zocker4711

The gen parts consist of:
  • Gen BLNR dial
  • Gen BLNR hands
  • Gen BLNR bezel assembly (complete with all 5 parts!)
  • Gen Crown
  • Gen Crystal
  • Gen Datewheel
  • Gen Stem
  • Gen 3186 Rolex GMT 2 movement (Bang!)
The rep parts are:
  • Noob CHS GMT2 case (with matrix rehaut engraving – TBH I did not even know the difference between matrix rehaut and normal rep rehaut til Dirk explained it to me)
  • Noob CHS GMT2 bracelet and spring bars (this will eventually be upgraded to ARF904L bracelet in future)
This build started about 2 months ago and was after I finished another superfranken with @zocker4711 (it was a superfranken 116718 GMT full gold with gen movement - some of you may have seen it on RWI, I will link it here once RWI is back up and running again for those of you interested).
Like many of my builds, it all started with an opportunistic acquisition and I didn’t really have any plans to build another GMT given I already had two superfrankens.

But then a genuine new 3186 rolex movement came up for sale at a compelling price. This was a bit of a risky acquisition because the seller was not that well known to me and didn’t have a lot of feedback but the price was compelling and after a few pms I decided to pull the trigger.

I knew the Batman parts were rare so I didn’t really think I could score any of the gen parts (dial, hands and bezel are all different to the LN model), but I thought I would give it a shot and ask around from some contacts and try my luck. As many of you know, things like BLNR bezel insert is “exchange only” meaning Rolex won’t even sell these to AD’s unless the old part is sent to Rolex as exchange – meaning they are very rare.

After PM’ing many well known members here at RG and RWI and receiving many regretful responses that the parts either weren’t there or would be very difficult to source with a long wait time I struck gold and in the space of about a week I was able to get the various genuine parts (just don’t ask me how much it cost!).
For those that know me from RWI, I really like my frankens (particularly AP, Rolex and Panerai).

I like the challenge of collecting the parts, learning about the process through the watchsmith (thanks @zocker4711 ), dealing with the issues (there are always issues!) and knowing it was built just for me. I generally keep to the rule of trying to keep the cost of the franken at below 35% of the gen, but its fair to say that this one costs more than that compared to current Batman resale prices (I understand there is a 6 month waiting list in my country also).

I have multiple gens but find myself wearing my Franken’s more on a day to day basis. Anyway, this is probably one I will never sell. Bezel clicks are tight and firm with no play either side. The quick set hour hand spins around like a speed demon when I need to set the date and I don’t sweat when I use this function unlike with my other Noob CHS A3186 movements…. (I have unfortunately broken one before).

I have some photos of the build below and the finished product side by side with a gen (mine is the one on the left with the incomplete bracelet). As you can expect they are visually identical – I know some members say they can spot a rep case instantly, but for me, I can’t tell the difference at all.

Thanks again to @zocker4711 who did an excellent job on this and my 2 other GMT’s – he was very responsive and provided excellent guidance throughout the process. Turnaround time was quick and I’m glad I took his advice to “try to build the best BLNR Batman possible”, including small details like matrix rehaut.
Enjoy the pics and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading.

Pics coming shortly.

MrBeasy

8/2/16
Build shots.

fb6eb82ef527c9a08ec64fe11ca43216.jpg
dec227ba6bc5759b9305af1191a0ab7b.jpg
de3fd65cb8438e9d4ddba6a2550758c6.jpg
b66ca128be894e0c9a3a6a04a0a86936.jpg
41a602211dba464bb494fa210035ddfc.jpg
e78b80f6426d7b6c35a5b51f1aca8277.jpg

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
...lovely build, I’ve sourced a few blnr sets and they’re an absolute headache to work around especially since they’re exchange only like you said. You have an absolute unicorn here, wear it in good health.

Reactions: MrBeasy

maxelmen

Known Member
21/1/17
Incredible, just wow!!
So much fun reading and it’s an honor following your work! Wear them all in good health!

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13
Wow...praise beyond words. This is serious passion mate!!!
Hats off to your efforts in building this masterpiece:)

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
your work is fantastic....

for someone who just wants a nice watch out of the chinese shipment package, whats the best one out there for me to get, i dont care which movement it as, as long as its realiabe and works....

probably the most important feature on the batman would be the bezel in compareson to the genuine....so which is best way to go for that

MrBeasy

8/2/16
your work is fantastic....

for someone who just wants a nice watch out of the chinese shipment package, whats the best one out there for me to get, i dont care which movement it as, as long as its realiabe and works....

probably the most important feature on the batman would be the bezel in compareson to the genuine....so which is best way to go for that
Noob Correct Hand Stack is best for you out of the box. A small platinum mod on bezel would make it even better if you were feeling adventurous.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Could you post a lume shot? I'm a true lume lover. Beautiful build!

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
It's an amazing build! I have some questions if you can answer me.
I was thinking to build a GMT and I see that every rep case is for a modded 2836... what about the crown position?
On the 16610 if we use the 2836 instead of a 2824 we have to use a specific case because the crown need to be lower.
The 2824 case has the crown in correct position also for swapping in a 3135 or a yuki.

So, in this case (from a Noob with 2836) the crown position is correct?

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
Noob Correct Hand Stack is best for you out of the box. A small platinum mod on bezel would make it even better if you were feeling adventurous.

Is someone doing the platinum mod of this? Afaik spongebob isn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rob.O

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/5/17
Absolutely stunning MrBeasy , would really love to go down this road with my Noob CHS but as its well known these gen parts are like hens teeth i will just enjoy drooling over your pieces mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk