• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Official DSSD Club"

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
The correct acronym is DSSD, as in DEEPSEA Sea-Dweller. As far as the logo goes, that was my first version, I like the second better. :)

GenOwner

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/3/11
The Rolex Forum is down today and I found this one searching for the DSSD. I am looking into buying a Gen I have seen some of the fakes that are on here and some are close in the look of the watch. I am sure if you took one off and held them together it would be obvious. I do wonder why buy a fake of a watch known for it's engineering acheivements when you would be afraid to get a fake wet.

To people who bought them do you not feel like a fake when you put the watch on? If someone comes up to you and asks what kind of watch you have do you say it is a Rolex? I am sure you do that is why you bought a rep to pass it off to people. Why not save up and buy a real Tag instead of a cannal st. special? I personally would feel like a loser everytime I put a fake on, I feel proud everytime I put my explorer on and I am sure I will feel even more proud when I find a pre owned DSSD that meets my specs.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
The Rolex Forum is down today and I found this one searching for the DSSD. I am looking into buying a Gen I have seen some of the fakes that are on here and some are close in the look of the watch. I am sure if you took one off and held them together it would be obvious. I do wonder why buy a fake of a watch known for it's engineering acheivements when you would be afraid to get a fake wet.

To people who bought them do you not feel like a fake when you put the watch on? If someone comes up to you and asks what kind of watch you have do you say it is a Rolex? I am sure you do that is why you bought a rep to pass it off to people. Why not save up and buy a real Tag instead of a cannal st. special? I personally would feel like a loser everytime I put a fake on, I feel proud everytime I put my explorer on and I am sure I will feel even more proud when I find a pre owned DSSD that meets my specs.

Welcome from the Rolex forum! You are the guys who got taken by the 16 year old with the fake Submariner, right? Maybe you'll learn something about what you own here. Have fun!

Gr00v3

30/10/10
My submission to the dssd club

79622474.jpg

74d181e3.jpg

$88 lay special. Quickly removed the bracelet in favor of maratac NATO.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11

Hahaha, i'm not even going to bother feeding the troll.

What a :stir:

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I, personally, don't measure my self-worth by the things I own. Perhaps you do, GenOwner, but don't paint us all with that brush.

I know lots of folks on the rep fora that own multiple gen luxury watches, or could afford to if they so chose.

Assumptions are a dangerous thing - especially when it comes to hobbies/passions/interests.

Warrenpiece13

10/1/11

I have two gen TAG's. I love them. I have now 5 reps of various models. I love them. I don't wear my TAG's in water even though they're water proof to 200+meters. The movements 2836, 6497 and various other rep movements are the very same movements that are in comparable gen watches like the Tsovet, older rolexes, PAM's and chronographs. I don't have $10K to blow on a watch. If you do, good. I'm happy for you. But if I can't afford it but still want the look, I'd rather buy a rep that looks 99% as real as a gen and still keep perfectly great time at $300 than spend $10k for a gen DSSD or 30K for a gen fiddy.

To each his own. If you wanted absolute accuracy and waterproofness and bombproofness, id get a casio g-shock for around $100. I'll stick with my fakes and be proud of them until I can ball like you dude, popping kristal and slapping b!tch3s for fun=)

BTW I love feeding trolls. And I'm wearing my DSSD on a Maratec strap today while the gens wait in the winder for another day.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
The Rolex Forum is down today and I found this one searching for the DSSD.

• Cool
I am looking into buying a Gen I have seen some of the fakes that are on here and some are close in the look of the watch. I am sure if you took one off and held them together it would be obvious.

• Depends on which ones you're looking at. For sure you're in a small minority of owners who feel this way. As a Rolex forum member myself under another name, I've read many posts where members/owners are not that astute.

I do wonder why buy a fake of a watch known for it's engineering achievements when you would be afraid to get a fake wet.

• When these watches are properly greased and sealed, there's no fear whatsoever. I guess I'd have to ask why people buy a gen DSSD and never go deeper than the bottom of their swimming pool?
  • You also have to take into consideration the inflated value of the time piece.

To people who bought them do you not feel like a fake when you put the watch on?

• Nope! I feel gratified that I have something as beautiful as the guy who spent thousands more than I did. I also feel much better about myself when I walk past someone who is much less fortunate than I am,
  • Do you feel guilty when you wear an $8,000 watch and know that it could feed a family for a year? Or, that if 6 of you got together you could buy a house free and clear for a deserving family? I'd rather feel "fake" than know that my arrogance is worth more than well being of so many who are less fortunate.

If someone comes up to you and asks what kind of watch you have do you say it is a Rolex?

• Depends.
I am sure you do that is why you bought a rep to pass it off to people.

• You don't know me, or anyone else here so this only goes to support the sense of arrogance that many gen owners have.

Why not save up and buy a real Tag instead of a cannal st. special?

• You'd be amazed at how many people here actually do own gen watches, and rarely do we purchase Canal St. specials.
  • For many of us, this is more of a hobby, one where we spend a great deal of time learning about watches, and how to modify them to be true works of art. You may also be surprised at how many rep owners know far more about Rolex and many other brands than gen owners do.

I personally would feel like a loser everytime I put a fake on, I feel proud everytime I put my explorer on and I am sure I will feel even more proud when I find a pre owned DSSD that meets my specs.

• Yes, what a great feeling that must be...
Rolex-Ad-Homeless-Dreams.png

Must be great not to be a loser.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama

As to part one:

It is a bit more complicated than that. When you have owned a gen, you sometimes find out that they are not all that and a bag of chips. I bought a new Vette in 02, it was mystical, it was magical, my ego was elevated to super hero status and my penis was increased in size by at least four inches. I had always wanted one. Years later after having to deal with GM, and certain issues that plague vettes, and also the inevitable acclimation that one experience as the new-ness wears off, It's now just a car. Unfortunately the ego and physical enhancements have dissipated as well. Cest la vie. Rolex is a watch, and arguably not the best all though it is the best known. If you have the cash and you want the watch, by all means buy it. There are so many used Rolexes for sale at any given time clearly more than one person decided that it wasnt worth the expenditure and or that they would rather spend the cash elsewhere. If it bothers you personally to wear a replica, then buy the genuine thing. You have to live with yourself. And you may be one of those individuals who will be bothered with anything less than the best (or perceived best).

Many Rolex owners dont wear their Rolex daily but only break it out for special occasions. (Some vette owners and Ferrai owners have garage queens that they never drive too; I never understood buying something and then being afraid to wear it or drive it too much).

Many people here own Gens but wear the rep as a daily beater.

A rep is a great way to "try" out a model to see if you like how it wears and looks before dumping the green on a real one.

My reps are all fully functional, my sub replica looks the part, and 99.9 percent of people couldnt tell it apart from a gen, and it test to over 530 ft depth and keeps within 2 seconds a day.

As to part 2:

Nope, I dont feel fake at all. Actually I feel better than when I wear a gen. Why? Any one can buy a gen if they have the money, but I have built and modified many of my reps. There is a certain satisfaction in that. And to be honest, my ego just doesnt depend on a watch to exist. But it does feel good to be able to say I built my watch. Plus I can now afford many more models of watches, and if I really like one I can always go out and buy the real thing if I feel the need.

If someone asks what it is I just show it to them. Most people assume a genuine Rolex to be fake. Odd isnt it? You pay all that money and no one thinks it is real. Save some green and get a fake, why not? Tell them whatever they want to hear...the average person doenst know, and probably doesnt care.

No doubt some people own reps to pass it off as gen. Some people like the hobby. Some like the technical challenge of modding a rep or making it as close to gen as possible. The latter is not confined to just watches.
I have assembled a movie grade Darth Vader and a Stoormtrooper costumes for example. I have worked hard and researched much to make those as movie accurate as possible. And I am not alone in that hobby either.

Most reps on here are not the same as a Canal Street special.

If you bought a DeepSea used and it turned out not to be real, you would feel just as proud of the watch right up until you found it was fake. Don't beleive me? It happens all the time. Someone buys a rep that was advertised as gen and is happy as a clam until they take it to Rolex for service. What changed really? Nothing, just perception. It's not the deal you get, its the deal you think you get. There was a story in the papers in Florida not too long ago. A jewelry store that sold Rolex watches (not an AD) bought a Deep Sea used and sold it to a customer. The customer later took it to Rolex for service and was informed it was fake. The AD only found out it was fake when it was sent off and opened. The jewelry store obviously had to refund the purchase, but what amazed the jewelry store owner and the AD was the level that replicas had acheived. Prior to this they had no clue about the sophistication of todays reps. They, like you, probably bought into some of the Rolex hype about how special a Rolex is and how a Chinese knock off just can not compare. If you search the web you will see that most jewelry sites and rolex "experts" have written articles on how to spot a fake. Some time spent on this forum will make it obvious how mistaken all these people are. They recycle the same antiquated information year after year as if nothing ever changes. It would be like running Norton or McCafee from 1996 on a pc today. It just no longer applies. But the level of sophistication is always progressing. Some reps will take gen parts, some reps have gen parts.

When I owned a jewelry store many people would modify their Rolex with aftermarket parts. A common mod was to make a 16610 sub into a 16613 two tone. Technically it is a Rolex but it is a fake 16613...the waters get very muddy at times and it is useful to be aware of what is out there.

But anyway, I hope this addresses some of your curiosity. Hang around and do some reading. At the very least you will come away with an education and that will serve you well as you are shopping for a used genuine Deep Sea or other model. And maybe you will find you are happy with a rep, if even for a while, and save some cash in the process.

Reactions: D Ramone

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
Quick question: nato strap on DSSD......the watch is thick, does the nato strap make it even "worse"or it's not noticeable?

acg2010

Known Member
23/11/10
Thanks to lay for a total of 106 bucks shipped I'm about to join this club with a perfectly centered pearl

W2k3A.jpg