• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Official DSSD Club"

Epimetheus

I'm Pretty Popular
24/10/10
I´m getting two packages with watches from Timesshops today, I really hope that the DSSD is in one of them! :)

Maybe I´ll join the club in a few hours.

Epimetheus

I'm Pretty Popular
24/10/10
I´m in! :D

dssdil.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

jonhcox

28/10/10
@johncox

I have frequent travels to KL (in-laws are there too) so whilst browsing in Sungei Wang Plaza, I chanced upon a dealer there..initial pieces that i brought from him were quite crappy..but as i dealt with him more, the better pieces came out and soon enough he lets me rummage thru his stock and select the best of the lot..

he doesnt have any website or email but he did mention he got his stock from HK and ShenZhen.. =)

=)

Thanks for the heads-up. Watch looks great!

Bigbear

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/10/09
Would just like to add a very simple mod for those who find their original pearl a little too big or pimply?

Tools: 4 in 1 nail buffer. (avail at any pharmacy) Just use 2,3 and 4. No sanding required.

Sorry i did not manage to take a before pic. Pic of after mod on a V5 ult.
pearlmod.jpg

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I bought a DSSN Ultimate 2836 from Watcheden last spring. Gave it a real nice soap and water bath, then looked for the dreaded condensation under the crystal. Found everything ok (they said this watch was waterproof for 30 meters), so I decided to take it to the pool with me. No problems! .. Never waterproofed it, never oiled the bracelet (I just thought let's see what this thing can do on it's own, what the hell!) ... Great watch that is performing as advertised!! So far, all of the high end Rolies I've accumulated over the last year take to the water with no issues ...

yessir

Horology Curious
11/11/10
Hey, I just got a DSSD, I can wash it with soap and water?

Can you point out some directions to what soap to use to maximize the shine of the watch? Any tips that aren't obvious? Thankss.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Before you go getting your DSSD wet, honestly, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

First, get two things:

Watch Gasket O-Ring Lubricator Silicone Grease

420348web.jpg

Watchmakers Silicone 7 Watch Gasket Sealer

420340web.jpg

Unscrew the crown and pull out to stop the movement. Open up the caseback with a ball of Duct Tape turning counter-clockwise. Remove the O-ring and grease it up, replace, and put your caseback on. Start slow to make sure the threads catch correctly, then tighten.

Find the O-ring on the tube, and grease that. Push your crown back down and tighten.

Both of these things are very inexpensive to purchase, and the time spent doing this will be time well spent. Any monkey can do this. :)

NOW you're ready to wash and use your DSSD! Dawn seems to be a popular detergent to use, with cold or slightly warm water- NOT hot. I like to wash it once with Dawn, rinse, and suds it up again using the soft brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Why? Because you want to remove as much dirt and particulates as you can before you go mushing them around with the brush.

Another idea might be to take the bracelet off and run over to your favorite non-AD jeweler to have them put it in their ultra-sonic.

Some people really prefer to use bike oil to soak their bracelets in, claiming that it gives the metal a very nice sheen. Others say that using graphite is better. The advantage of using graphite is that it doesn't attract and keep dirt. If your bracelet is supple enough, then you really don't have to do either.

g2bme

Horology Curious
28/11/10
Before you go getting your DSSD wet, honestly, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

First, get two things:

Watch Gasket O-Ring Lubricator Silicone Grease

420348web.jpg

Watchmakers Silicone 7 Watch Gasket Sealer

420340web.jpg

Unscrew the crown and pull out to stop the movement. Open up the caseback with a ball of Duct Tape turning counter-clockwise. Remove the O-ring and grease it up, replace, and put your caseback on. Start slow to make sure the threads catch correctly, then tighten.

Find the O-ring on the tube, and grease that. Push your crown back down and tighten.

Both of these things are very inexpensive to purchase, and the time spent doing this will be time well spent. Any monkey can do this. :)

NOW you're ready to wash and use your DSSD! Dawn seems to be a popular detergent to use, with cold or slightly warm water- NOT hot. I like to wash it once with Dawn, rinse, and suds it up again using the soft brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Why? Because you want to remove as much dirt and particulates as you can before you go mushing them around with the brush.

Another idea might be to take the bracelet off and run over to your favorite non-AD jeweler to have them put it in their ultra-sonic.

Some people really prefer to use bike oil to soak their bracelets in, claiming that it gives the metal a very nice sheen. Others say that using graphite is better. The advantage of using graphite is that it doesn't attract and keep dirt. If your bracelet is supple enough, then you really don't have to do either.

Is there a picture tutorial for this? I've never serviced or opened a watch and telling the difference between an o ring and a crown might be overwhelming.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Is there a picture tutorial for this? I've never serviced or opened a watch and telling the difference between an o ring and a crown might be overwhelming.
The gasket is the "rubber band" that runs around the inside of the case back. You can remove the case back (usually) by wadding up a bunch of duct tape, pressing it against the case back (sticky side against the case back), and turning counter-clockwise. Reverse to close, and close as tightly as possible.
The o-ring is the very small "rubber band" on the crown tube. The crown is the "knob" you turn to set the time and date. You unscrew it and it will pop out, just like when you are setting the time. Pull it all the way out to the time-setting postion and you should see the o-ring on the crown tube under the crown near or at the body of the watch.
Greasing these is the easiest watch service you'll ever do, and also one of the most important!

firnatine

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/8/09
Saddle up ....

Mounted and ready for a daily beater....
Firnatine.jpg

Epimetheus

I'm Pretty Popular
24/10/10
I really miss my DSSD. :(
It´s at the watch smith being repaired after I broke the keyless works...
That watch is my favorite.

GSi2K

8/7/10
Argh mate don't talk about keyless works.
I got my DSSD at the end of September, it had keyless works issues straight away. Sent it to a watchsmiths, had to wait 2 months in the end.
Just got it back and the Pearls missing!! I've now got a hole in the triangle.

Anyone tell me the dimension of the pearl. I'm gonna try and build one if poss.

Epimetheus

I'm Pretty Popular
24/10/10
I got my DSSD at the end of September, it had keyless works issues straight away. Sent it to a watchsmiths, had to wait 2 months in the end.

My deepest condolences. :(
The waiting is horrible.
Luckily I have a good watch smith that doesn´t mind working on reps right here where I live, so he thought he would have it ready before christmas. :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
My only fear is to install it! Even AD brake them sometime apparently...

Easy-Peasy! If a watchsmith happens to break one, then that is definitely not one you want playing around with your movement! :)

Not sure what the gen size is, but here's a side-by-side comparison of a gen and Trevors...

Trevor-pearl.jpg

Certainly not perfect, not close, but I like it. If anything, you can see what the gen looks like.

GSi2K

8/7/10
Thanks TB for that.
I've got the Trevor insert, but with missing pearl now.
Just need some dimensions of the thing.
It looks about 2mm but what the height?

Thanks
Pete

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Hello Pete,

The noob pearl is just a hair over 2mm in diameter, and 1 mm in height.

My idea for making a more gen looking pearl as pictured above would be to get some 2mm external diameter tube to make it, and use a larger tube that can slip over it and shave it down very thin to create the stepped base of the gen. And use an even smaller tube to be fitted inside to make the post, and then all you need is to add lume and some clear epoxie.