• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Master II : "Batman" BLNR

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Here’s my BK Noob v7 with aftermarket insert for which I just complete molotow paint mod.

f75d48ddd9ef0c4c8ee357ac1f77edfc.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here’s my BK Noob v7 with aftermarket insert for which I just complete molotow paint mod.

f75d48ddd9ef0c4c8ee357ac1f77edfc.jpg

That looks very good. Can you post a link to where you got the insert? The blue color is very close to gen. Nice paint mod!
Thanks

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
That looks very good. Can you post a link to where you got the insert? The blue color is very close to gen. Nice paint mod!
Thanks

I can’t be sure where it came from since I’m the fourth owner now. But my guess is that it’s from eBay since it looked identical to the Swiss ceramic ones there, before I stripped the white paint and replaced it with silver. This insert doesn’t have the line at 6 and 18 that the noob insert has. Also the engravings appear to be done cleaner. That said, it’s flawed in that the numbers font is a bit too narrow compared to gen.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I can’t be sure where it came from since I’m the fourth owner now. But my guess is that it’s from eBay since it looked identical to the Swiss ceramic ones there, before I stripped the white paint and replaced it with silver. This insert doesn’t have the line at 6 and 18 that the noob insert has. Also the engravings appear to be done cleaner. That said, it’s flawed in that the numbers font is a bit too narrow compared to gen.

OK, thanks for the info. I thought the marker depth looked shallow, good to know it will still take a paint mod. I've looked at literally hundreds of bezels (constantly swapping them around, it's a curse, lol), and that's the best looking blue I've seen. You got a good one, enjoy!

Reactions: watchboi

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Reactions: KJ2020

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Holy moly that's expensive for an aftermarket! I see what you mean about the numeral one, yours is much more gen like. The blue color is pretty spot on though. Thanks for the link!

I agree that the price is too high. I guess because it is Swiss Made? I’m glad it came with this BK.

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
I am struggling to get the paint mod to stick on the triangle. Any tips to improve the bonding?

b153c1f281a26397e9c6f5ced5b2ff47.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am struggling to get the paint mod to stick on the triangle. Any tips to improve the bonding?

b153c1f281a26397e9c6f5ced5b2ff47.jpg

BK used to put a thin coat of slow cure epoxy over his paint mods to increase their longevity. I think I still have a PM from him about it on another forum, I'll try to find it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
These are parts of PM's from BK

"2. paint mod for extra $70. It brightens up the bezel markers. They are kind of dark straight from the factory and they get even darker with use I highly recommend this option. Pics: 2017 Paint Mod by Bklm 1234 | Photobucket. Note I put a top coat of clear epoxy to protect the enamel paint which is pretty hard. But I don't know how people wear their watches. Some people might still be able to wear out the epoxy coating and enamel paint. Please consider that when deciding on this option. You can also learn to do it or do touchups yourself. I can give you the instructions"

then later,

"sorry I wrote paint mod as an option. I don't offer that anymore. I actually don't think it's needed on v9"

Next day

"How to do paint mod
0. get yourself Testors brand metallic silver or chrome (chrome is even brighter which is my preference) enamel paint , small paint brushes, acetone, 2 part epoxy (slow drying type is better), and cotton tips
1. clean up the markers with alcohol
2. apply enamel paint with small or model paint brush evenly
3. soon as you finish painting all the markers, start wiping off excess paint with acetone. Dip a q-tip with acetone. No need to super saturate the q-tip. For example, pour some acetone onto a small dish, dip and lift up the q-tip from the acetone. That's it. The idea is to have a wet q-tip but not a dripping one. A dripping q-tip will take out the paint on the markers too. Now start wiping the excess paint off the insert. If you wait too long, the paint gets too dry and becomes hard to wipe off. That's why you should start wiping off excess paint immediately after painting the markers

If you screw up, just start over by wiping off paint from the markers. Easy and forgiving

4. wait one day
5. mix 2 part epoxy. Apply it on the markers. Try to lay it thin. If it's thick, you can use a dry brush to take out excess epoxy. With slow drying epoxy, you have a lot of time to do that. So don't worry
6. do steps 3 for the excess epoxy. This saves a lot of work for final scrapping of excess epoxy
7. wait 1 to 2 days depending on how fast your epoxy dries.
8. Wait one day. Scrape the excess epoxy off the insert."

Last edited:
Reactions: Vvvlllooo

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

You might also try doing the Sharpie mod first (also metallic silver). Several coats will be needed. That works better on shallow depth marker cutouts. It should be good enough match to Molotow to not need to re-do the whole insert. How did you remove the white paint?

Blackcalf

Known Member
5/6/17
Madrid
Hi guys
Does this version came with easy link clasp like gen or it's not udjusteble ? Thanks

Enviado desde mi Mi MIX 2S mediante Tapatalk

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
You might also try doing the Sharpie mod first (also metallic silver). Several coats will be needed. That works better on shallow depth marker cutouts. It should be good enough match to Molotow to not need to re-do the whole insert. How did you remove the white paint?

Thanks for the tips. Will try them.

I removed the white paint by scratching it off with a sharp object. Here’s a pic I took when I was half way done.

3ab8901d9a8e22c5b1eff378403f8e87.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for the tips. Will try them.

I removed the white paint by scratching it off with a sharp object. Here’s a pic I took when I was half way done.

3ab8901d9a8e22c5b1eff378403f8e87.jpg

Perfect progress documentation, thanks!