• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Most Expensive Build in RWI History - GEN 6263 Sigma Dial - Build Thread

Moldy780

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
21/8/16
Most of you probably know me from my various AP 15400 franken builds and modern (5 digit) Rolex builds. Compared to those builds, this marks the start of a journey which I have never undertaken. I was fortunate enough to come across a bunch of gen parts for a Rolex 6263 Daytona Sigma Dial. In fact, the watch was complete minus a few things. The watch just arrived today to me and it's currently in pieces.

The plan for this watch is to clean everything, but not polish anything. The most difficult part of the build will be piecing together the movement and keeping it 100% gen Rolex. I'm looking forward to this build though it will probably be a long and complicated journey, and of course expensive. The watch when completed will be worth around $60,000-$70,000, though it represents more than that as it is a piece of Rolex history.

Here is what I'm currently working with.

The entire lot:

CFepqrJ.jpg

Crown and pushers:

2Y1mJQ2.jpg

Movement parts:

hIX0zC2.jpg

kXpctaw.jpg

nyEzb5I.jpg

ElzR751.jpg

bdAFlSo.jpg

meENF6X.jpg

clbM7DE.jpg

3Oym0wP.jpg

As you can see the movement is completely dissembled. There is some part of the movement that the dial is sitting on that can be seen here:

rOjLTPD.jpg

It's clear that most of the movement is here. I'm not sure how much is really present because I've never worked on a movement like this, but it appears as though most of the parts are there. However, a couple people have advised me to just buy a Valjoux 72 movement of eBay and use whatever spare parts I need from that movement, since the Rolex movement is based off of it. Realistically, I could get one of these movements for $2000. Any advice is welcome here, since I'm not sure if this is the best route or just sourcing the parts I need individually - though this might not be possible because they're so rare.

Here's another problem - The balance wheel. It appears to have gotten damaged shipping. I hope that my watchmaker will be able to fix it, it doesn't look damaged beyond repair in my opinion.

csfVZ08.jpg

Here is the bracelet. I am debating leaving it as it is. It is pretty stretched, but not too bad. However, I may look into getting restored once the build is done and I see how it is on the watch.

MGpRl2r.jpg

7sKuxao.jpg

Finally, here is the rest of the watch.

3W17ziO.jpg

Qo5jbwh.jpg

Bc3IHR4.jpg

There's a lot of work ahead of me for this build, and I haven't really undertaken anything like this. Any advice is welcome from the community.

This thread will be updated as things progress with the build, hopefully culminating with the completion of the watch eventually.

Update here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sigma-dial-build-thread?p=7275977#post7275977

superyl

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/17
Hey op you forgot to mention how expensive this build is going to be! But can I say omfg I feel so lucky to be here

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Moldy780

INMATE
21/8/16
Hey op you forgot to mention how expensive this build is going to be! But can I say omfg I feel so lucky to be here

It will be worth about $60-70,000 once done. I'm not sure about the cost to me yet, I'll have to see as the build progresses.

234BUDs

22/7/17
Damn if anyone were to get this done right it would be you

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
That's one impressive undertaking! I look forward to seeing the results!

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
On the next season of RWI... we find out what Moldy has gotten himself into now.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
if you get too stressed-out from restoring it, i think CWR in Hong Kong has a small cache of v72 daytona parts and they could do the servicing/restoration work at a price

Parabuteo

Patron, Salt and Lime
7/9/12
Way way over my head. Good luck with the build and sourcing what you need to get it done....

Looking forward to the journey!

LarryZek

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/3/17
That's just incredible. Amazing build coming.

D

d4m.test

Most of you probably know me from my various AP 15400 franken builds and modern (5 digit) Rolex builds. Compared to those builds, this marks the start of a journey which I have never undertaken. I was fortunate enough to come across a bunch of gen parts for a Rolex 6263 Daytona Sigma Dial. In fact, the watch was complete minus a few things. The watch just arrived today to me and it's currently in pieces.

The plan for this watch is to clean everything, but not polish anything. The most difficult part of the build will be piecing together the movement and keeping it 100% gen Rolex. I'm looking forward to this build though it will probably be a long and complicated journey, and of course expensive. The watch when completed will be worth around $40,000, though it represents more than that as it is a piece of Rolex history.

Here is what I'm currently working with.

The entire lot:

CFepqrJ.jpg

Crown and pushers:

2Y1mJQ2.jpg

Movement parts:

hIX0zC2.jpg

kXpctaw.jpg

nyEzb5I.jpg

ElzR751.jpg

bdAFlSo.jpg

meENF6X.jpg

clbM7DE.jpg

3Oym0wP.jpg

As you can see the movement is completely dissembled. There is some part of the movement that the dial is sitting on that can be seen here:

rOjLTPD.jpg

It's clear that most of the movement is here. I'm not sure how much is really present because I've never worked on a movement like this, but it appears as though most of the parts are there. However, a couple people have advised me to just buy a Valjoux 72 movement of eBay and use whatever spare parts I need from that movement, since the Rolex movement is based off of it. Realistically, I could get one of these movements for $2000. Any advice is welcome here, since I'm not sure if this is the best route or just sourcing the parts I need individually - though this might not be possible because they're so rare.

Here's another problem - The balance wheel. It appears to have gotten damaged shipping. I hope that my watchmaker will be able to fix it, it doesn't look damaged beyond repair in my opinion.

csfVZ08.jpg

Here is the bracelet. I am debating leaving it as it is. It is pretty stretched, but not too bad. However, I may look into getting restored once the build is done and I see how it is on the watch.

MGpRl2r.jpg

7sKuxao.jpg

Finally, here is the rest of the watch.

3W17ziO.jpg

Qo5jbwh.jpg

Bc3IHR4.jpg

There's a lot of work ahead of me for this build, and I haven't really undertaken anything like this. Any advice is welcome from the community.

This thread will be updated as things progress with the build, hopefully culminating with the completion of the watch eventually.

I am in complete AWE of your skills and wish you only the very best of success in your adventure. Go to it!!

dave

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
Wow!! Amazing! May I ask if you got the for parts head from an eBay auction last week? I though I saw that exact watch!

I can’t wait to see the final product!

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
Going to be amazing man. Don’t get anything that isn’t Gen Rolex for the movement. If you want 40k later it will be hyper scrutinized.

qwaz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/16
I can't wait to see how this turns out! Good luck!

Moldy780

INMATE
21/8/16
Going to be amazing man. Don’t get anything that isn’t Gen Rolex for the movement. If you want 40k later it will be hyper scrutinized.
You're right. Will be difficult to find the parts for sure though... Hopefully my watchmaker can repair the balance wheel, that would be a nice break.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Cannot wait to update this with more progress

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Moldy. Remember in July when you told me to buy that $400 movement for my franken build you were doing? Then you later realized it wouldn't work? And how I was stuck with it since that seller didn't take returns. I remember, it's still sitting right here. You also said you were strapped for cash. Nice thread mate.

I don't care if I get flamed.

Threads like this made me think you knew your stuff.

How are you supposed to "build" this when you couldn't even install a bezel?

View attachment 95713

Reactions: Raddave

reyes_statefarm

INMATE
4/1/17
Wonderful thread!!! I am thrilled to follow your achievement.
By the way, i am just curious when you said it will be worth arounf 35-40K, did you mean the gen 6263 is worth that much or you will be putting that much into the build?

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Moldy. Remember in July when you told me to buy that $400 movement for my franken build? Then you later realized it wouldn't work? And how I was stuck with it since that seller didn't take returns. I remember, it's still sitting right here. Nice thread mate.

View attachment 95713
You really seem like a nice guy. I'll give you $100 for the movement.

Congrats on the find @Moldy780 . Cant wait to see the final product.

Moldy780

INMATE
21/8/16
Moldy. Remember in July when you told me to buy that $400 movement for my franken build you were doing? Then you later realized it wouldn't work? And how I was stuck with it since that seller didn't take returns. I remember, it's still sitting right here. You also said you were strapped for cash. Nice thread mate.

View attachment 95713

LOL bro sorry about that, didn't know it was still an issue. I made a recommendation for that movement, sorry about that it was a bad idea..

Big difference between 4 and 6 digit builds though that's for sure! Of course I know how to install a bezel in any watch, and if not, it's nothing to be ashamed of, we all have things to learn. Good thing I don't plan on doing all this work on my own, that's what professional watchmakers are for.

Hope your enjoying your GMT franken, it's a beauty! Cheers to great builds brother