• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Daytona Caseback Swap (23J)

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Of course it does. A lighter rotor doesn't turn as easily and therefore less frequently. So the reversing wheels do not turn, the ratchet wheel driving wheel does not turn, the ratchet wheel does not turn, and the watch does get wound automatically.

Didn't see how old this thread was, my bad.

But since we're at it now.. :) Power reserve has nothing to do with the rotor. Autowind, sure. But removing the rotor completely doesn't change the power reserve for a 40h watch. It's still 40hours. Of course having a rotor 'tops up' the reserve again as you're wearing it but if we're talking about the term "Power Reserve" the rotor has nothing to do with it.

I'm sure you agree with the above and it was just a misuse of the term, but for anyone who isn't familiar with mechanical watches they might get confused.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I disagree, power reserve is real time measurement of remaining power, not a fixed maximum amount available from a fully wound watch. Removing the rotor and not manually winding results in a constantly depleting power reserve.

Using a properly weighted rotor will increase power reserve to its maximum amount more efficiently than the light ones in the ARF Daytonas. This is a well documented issue and many members have benefited by making this change.

The rotor has a direct effect on a watch's power reserve. Just look at a watch with a power reserve indicator to see that effect in real time.

You are referring to maximum PR, and of course a rotor will not affect that. A rotor will affect current PR.

Last edited: