• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help on Identifying Crystal Size

SDRSR

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
30/12/16
I recently acquired a vintage-ish Sub case to start a build -- hoping to do a 5512/5513 project. This is a barebones case: no crystal, no bezel assembly, no tube. I wanted a project that would keep me occupied for awhile, but I'm afraid I may have bit off more than I can chew. I've soaked in as much as I can from the forums and guides on here, but I'm still a bit stumped on how to proceed with getting a crystal.

From what I can tell, I have a cheapie case that takes a 29 mm dial, so I'm having to sacrifice precision on the details (in other words, I know I won't fool any trained eyes). I'm hoping to keep the build relatively cheap -- more of a challenge, I suppose. I'm HOPING that my cheapie case means I can find some cheap parts to proceed (i.e., mass produced for the cheapie market).

I've measured the inside lip of the case where the crystal would set. It measures in around 30.5 mm. However, there is already a white plastic gasket inside (measurement includes gasket).

I've looked at Ofrei for some Tropic crystals, but the largest is 30.48 mm. Am I missing something? Should I be searching for something else?

I've appended some pics of the case, in the event it helps with a response.