• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

inazuma96

Horology Curious
24/9/17
Hey there,

I just got offered this rolex for a pretty affordable price and I'm not sure if it's worth buying. I am 90% sure it is a low end replica but if you could help me I would appreciate it.

Roli19

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/6/20
Germany
Hey there,

I just got offered this rolex for a pretty affordable price and I'm not sure if it's worth buying. I am 90% sure it is a low end replica but if you could help me I would appreciate it.

I can't see the image...

Agnostic

Known Member
17/12/19
As stated by some, the "wrapped gold" for some reason, DOES have a more accurate to gen gold color. worth the money for the extra, for me it is, because it "just looks" more gen, but probably foolish on my part. I guess just a personal decision like everything else in the end.

I believe on you, getting the VRF “ wrapped “ before I read your comment, i was going for the ARF plated.

Wrapped and plated reps can get very close to the colour of the gold, I don’t have a particular suggestion but I’ve seen some side by side photos people have shared.

anyways 98% wont be able to tell the difference between a rep and a gen just by looking on it.

but don’t forget ARF has the best finishing !!

Last edited:

Agnostic

Known Member
17/12/19
I believe on you, getting the VRF “ wrapped “ before I read your comment, i was going for the ARF plated.

Wrapped and plated reps can get very close to the colour of the gold, I don’t have a particular suggestion but I’ve seen some side by side photos people have shared.

anyways 98% wont be able to tell the difference between a rep and a gen just by looking on it.

but don’t forget ARF has the best finishing !!

btw : Wrapped gold will hold longer. Wrapped gold means it has gold wrapped on the links. Plated doesn't have gold on the side of the bracelet.
just as info .

Agnostic

Known Member
17/12/19
ARF's is indeed offering the best overall build quality but it does not change the fact that the gold plating is much harder to wear out when it is wrapped gold.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
I've read through several threads now, and no one seems to be interested in the GMT II "root beer". I'm looking at one by GMF which is listed as having wrapped rose gold.

Any thoughts on GMF's gold reps in particular?

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
This thread took me a few days to read on and off. I had the pleasure to read through each and every page. Thanks to those who contributed and it was very informative.

Here are my two cents. I purchased a all gold, green dial Rolex President back in 2013. I do not recall what factory but I do remember I wore this on a daily basis for a good 4 years. It was very shiny when I first got it. I went through a few repairs on the movement (myself) but as far as the coloring. It has definitely gotten less shiny but no silver metal emerged and this watch has gone through 7+ years of wear and tear. I haven't worn her in awhile but it is definitely one of my favorite watch in my collection (mainly because it has a green dial).

Over the years, I've gotten lot of complements. It's a beautiful watch (in 2013 if I recall, I paid less than $350 for it).

I have provide a few photos of the watch. Mind you this is after 7 years with 4 years of daily wear. Probably the BEST rep. I've ever got so I don't understand all the hate on the gold reps. The AP next to it in the 1st photo is a RG 15400. You can clearly see the color difference.

E2PUJ.jpg
E2QID.jpg
E2lXk.jpg
E2BZY.jpg
E2pxo.jpg
E2TQP.jpg

Last edited:

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
This thread took me a few days to read on and off. I had the pleasure to read through each and every page. Thanks to those who contributed and it was very informative.

Here are my two cents. I purchased a all gold, green dial Rolex President back in 2013. I do not recall what factory but I do remember I wore this on a daily basis for a good 4 years. It was very shiny when I first got it. I went through a few repairs on the movement (myself) but as far as the coloring. It has definitely gotten less shiny but no silver metal emerged and this watch has gone through 7+ years of wear and tear. I haven't worn her in awhile but it is definitely one of my favorite watch in my collection (mainly because it has a green dial).

Over the years, I've gotten lot of complements. It's a beautiful watch (in 2013 if I recall, I paid less than $350 for it).

I have provide a few photos of the watch. Mind you this is after 7 years with 4 years of daily wear. Probably the BEST rep. I've ever got so I don't understand all the hate on the gold reps. The AP next to it in the 1st photo is a RG 15400. You can clearly see the color difference.

E2PUJ.jpg
E2QID.jpg
E2lXk.jpg
E2BZY.jpg
E2pxo.jpg
E2TQP.jpg

It seems like yellow gold has a better chance of lasting over the years. My BP RG DJ has kinda put me off ever buying a TT watch again. In saying that I’m not sure if it’s just BP’s plating process that is rubbish, or if other factories have a better plating process that lasts.

Would be interesting if others reading this thread that own a RG watch would tell us how well the colour has lasted.

This is what mine looks like now, I tried a cape cod cloth on it as people suggested that would reverse the discolouration, but all it managed to do was completely polish out the brush work on the outer links!

The colour of bezel has lasted better than the bracelet. I’ve been toying with the idea of buying another bracelet from Trusty. I think it’s about £100 delivered, but recon there’s about an 90% chance of it turning copper again.

40667e398a7abbe6ba82b49695d96ed8.jpg

defd95741931e1e53fa7d58f8ed8511d.jpg

858180500c06a059f200bfd4dac289be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr.JC

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Nice watch. I was never into Rose Gold because plating over alloy will eventually turn into a copper tone. My family is in the scrap metal / import and export business. So you can see how well we know about plating. As mentioned by members, it is impossible to mimic precious metal (gold). YG looks shiny and good until you bring a Gen side by side. There were posts (forgot which page) where they showed Gen vs Noob vs ARF in a TT. I am a big fan of YG and wanted to be the 116618LB or the Gold sub with blue dial but hesitant to spend $908 on the VRF. That's an all gold sub.

corleone911

6/11/17
Anyone experience with a wrapped Day Date 40?

On some pictures the wrapped look like orange compared to a gen......

Reactions: J.Gotti

J.Gotti

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/18
Anyone experience with a wrapped Day Date 40?

On some pictures the wrapped look like orange compared to a gen......

Wrapped two tone watches looks ok, but on solid gold watches wrapped gold looks totally different compared to gen gold. Wrapped gold shines orange. 18k gen gold looks much brighter......

time warp

Renowned Member
31/12/16
Wrapped two tone watches looks ok, but on solid gold watches wrapped gold looks totally different compared to gen gold. Wrapped gold shines orange. 18k gen gold looks much brighter......

bf5d5acf6c5fe2ef988d9bd3cad4e2ce.jpg

That is not true! Left one is genuine and right is the wrapped one from BP. It’s 4 year old an still good in Shape. Definitely worth the money!
Time of gold shining is the same!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

corleone911

6/11/17
bf5d5acf6c5fe2ef988d9bd3cad4e2ce.jpg

That is not true! Left one is genuine and right is the wrapped one from BP. It’s 4 year old an still good in Shape. Definitely worth the money!
Time of gold shining is the same!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My BP wrapped also looks organe compared to my gen 118238. I can confirm that. Maybe not every wrapped watch has the same color. Yours looks very nice but I have seen more wrapped full gold reps in person and all of them had an orange shine compared to my gen.

1e98b0795a533951d290881120790c71.jpg

Her is a 18238 bracelet compared to a 4 years gold plated one.

facf566e87592a22f642ba68af718b5a.jpg