• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

blee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/15
Do wrapped gold watches never fade off? any experience ?

I have a 2 year old wrapped noob that's seen weekly wear. I haven't been particularly careful with it, so it does have moderate scratches on the clasp. So far, no bare steel noticed. Keep in mind that the wrapped watches simply have thicker applications of "gold." Eventually, you may wear through that layer.

Reactions: corleone911

SUBKILLER

Renowned Member
30/7/16
Do wrapped gold watches never fade off? any experience ?
Heres my VRF. Had it for almost a year and I dont baby it at all. Alot of scratches but no fading.
096e762d5ae388c80b264a5ce23756e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
For general information for those wondering about colour differences.

Gen (bottom), Vrf wrapped (Middle), noob wrapped (top)

1297feb6b487d475a78fa4db1d9caebe.jpg

Note: the Vrf (Middle) is in plastic, so may impact on the “sheen” in pictures

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
Guys I know trusty is no trusted dealer in this forum but look at this BP GMT Master II in full yellow gold and especially the video on trustys site. The date, the sels, the plating gold color, the perfect dial, the deep engravings on the ceramic bezel without the pearl which always looks wrong on Sub reps, especially BP Subs. To me this watch seems perfect. If I compare it to the full yellow gold BP Sub video on trusty the GMT Master looks 100 times better. Maybe it is a new batch and they also improved the sub? Because the 3186 movement could be a problem I think. But seeing this video and the pictures I definitely need this watch in my life. I‘m in love lol
Only the clasp isn‘t that good because it doesn‘t have this gap gen rolex clasps have. ARF has it. This would be a mod I would do to this watch. Put an ARF bracelet or only clasp on it. The rest, especially the date font is better than on ARF watches these days... ARF has them way too bold often.

http://www.trustytime.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=20093

Mrgkman

Known Member
13/8/18
For general information for those wondering about colour differences.

Gen (bottom), Vrf wrapped (Middle), noob wrapped (top)

1297feb6b487d475a78fa4db1d9caebe.jpg

Note: the Vrf (Middle) is in plastic, so may impact on the “sheen” in pictures

Excellent post, thank you. We don’t often see gen gold compared side by side to rep gold like this.

Sent from the RWI App

PigIron

Patron
13/2/19
CONUS
You can see how yellow the gold is on the ARF. To me it just looks bad / cheap. The noob on the other hand is lighter but imho looks much nicer. I can take some better pics later and post. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Thank you for the comparison. :drinks_cheers: We usually see VRFs and some ARFs, but not many noobs side by side with other watches.
Gold on noob looks better yes. For me both are still a bit off in terms of dial / insert printing. The gold text on the gen dial pops so much more.
Both of these components however are rare and expensive if you want to go gen. That is to be expected though, the gen is a 12k watch.
It's all about what you can live with. :)

Kmmas

7/4/15
So I’m interested in getting the 116613 LN. Before reading this thread I had screened it down to a ZZF! But since I have no info on the gold of the ZZF, and after reading this thread I’m thinking Noob or BP! Thoughts?

Cordsen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/17
Denmark
So I’m interested in getting the 116613 LN. Before reading this thread I had screened it down to a ZZF! But since I have no info on the gold of the ZZF, and after reading this thread I’m thinking Noob or BP! Thoughts?

I am thinking abot the VRF, but I am not sure.
I would like the 116613LN aswell. ARF, Noob, BP or VRF is just the question.

Yachtmaster_Chris

Known Member
31/3/18
Hawaii, USA
383af2c4f045232d8c07a8e6a10bb134.jpg

Left gen vs right noob plated version which is about 4 years old!

Wow! Looks great! The rep bracelet is really holding up. How often do you wear the rep bracelet? Most posts I read on all the rep forums would have you believe that you wear a plated bracelet and the gold will rub off in a month.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Wow! Looks great! The rep bracelet is really holding up. How often do you wear the rep bracelet? Most posts I read on all the rep forums would have you believe that you wear a plated bracelet and the gold will rub off in a month.

That was the old plating technique! New quality plating holds up well.

Reactions: Yachtmaster_Chris

Yachtmaster_Chris

Known Member
31/3/18
Hawaii, USA
That is honestly reassuring to hear. I have a few gold reps but always have this nagging feeling whenever I wore them that the clock was ticking and the gold would come off at any second. It's good to know that it isn't nearly that bad and that I can enjoy them much more. Time to break them out of the watch box!

Reactions: johnlogan