• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
Would you guys go rather for a BP half gold or VRF MAX or even the Noob v8?

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Great article Thanks!

What do you guys do when you want a white gold watch? Do you simply get a stainless as highly polished as possible to get it to look (sort of) like white gold?

How about the Daytona in platinum? Do you just get the already polished bits professionally polished as shiny as possible I'm a newbie so go easy on me! Thanks Ed

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
Great article Thanks!

What do you guys do when you want a white gold watch? Do you simply get a stainless as highly polished as possible to get it to look (sort of) like white gold?

How about the Daytona in platinum? Do you just get the already polished bits professionally polished as shiny as possible I'm a newbie so go easy on me! Thanks Ed

Personally, if I wanted white gold, I'd get it disassembled and cleaned then get it rhodium plated. Nearly all of the white gold you see is rhodium plated, because rhodium is whiter and much more durable than white gold alone.
if I'm not mistaken, genuine Rolex movements are rhodium plated as well.

Reactions: PETROLHE4D

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Personally, if I wanted white gold, I'd get it disassembled and cleaned then get it rhodium plated. Nearly all of the white gold you see is rhodium plated, because rhodium is whiter and much more durable than white gold alone.
if I'm not mistaken, genuine Rolex movements are rhodium plated as well.

GREAT suggestion but where would I get a watch rhodium plated? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS Ed

Maxjr

Looking Around
27/9/18
BP TT wrapped 41mm DJ
ARRIVED!!!

it finally arrived. I have a gen, with a black dail in 36. I wanted to see how a 41 with gold dail looks on me.

but the biggest issue are the middle links in the jubilee band. All models on the market have a stainles side. I big flaw, and, a immidiatly tell tale its a fake!

so after searching and lots of homework, i found this BP.
it advertises with 18k wrapped bezel and middle links.
It also has the best faceplate and crown details.

after 1 month of waiting i recieved my watch.

its fucking amazing. Seriously!
it looks, feels and sparkles like a gen.
they did such an amazing job, i even thouggt they send me a gen by accident.

yes there are flaws. But they are so minor, a trained eye will have to look with a magnifieng glass to spot them.

one of them are the different angles in the bezel. Maby due the heavy plating, or there bezel mold is off.

Ofcourse i took one of the middlelinks, the spare ones, appart and beated on it. The gold dents instead of chipping or flaking. Also it took me a lot of presure with an piece of sandpaper to see whats underneath. Its copper, but gold copper.

the faceplate is 1:1. I really can not find a thing whats wrong. The gold face is accurate. The edge arrount the sticksdails are perfect. The magnifier is perfect.

So if i wear this watch one a while, it feels like a gen.
even the weight is good.

so bp, thanks for making a good hommage.

the link where i bought it;
https://www.intime03.co/rollie/4904...ers-dial-on-new-version-jubilee-bracelet.html

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
;n5242094 said:
Can i see it :)

Sent from the RWI App

"Can I see it?" Last time I said that I got locked up LMAO!!!
So, SURPRISE!! Our fake watches are fake gold. An outsider would laugh at us for being "eat up with the dumbass" as we say in NC.
I say if you want 18k, buy a plated watch, disassemble it, send it to a quality gold plater to re plate. Or go the franken route and build a Holy grail.
I've said it before, I use VeeJays in Manhattan. Http://houseofpolishing.com He plates up to 6 microns and ordinarily "heavy plate"is 2.5 microns. He also clear coats it in some sort of crystal process. I bought my wife a silver Tiffany padlock choker and he plated it in rose gold, it's gorgeous and unique. Holding up well with daily use, pool and ocean frequently.
I sent him my Daytona 116515 case and he did a stellar job. I have only worn it twice. So of course it looks great. I'll be selling it in M2M as soon as Noob releases that model in the 4130.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Would they be able to plate a watch without removing movement / dial / crown i.e plate it out of the box?
My friend !!! are you kidding ?
As far as I know gold platting is an electrolytic or chemical process.
Would you really take you chance and let a 3135 movement inside you watchcase while platting ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Would you really take you chance and let a 3135 movement inside you watchcase while platting ?

Makes perfect sense to have the movement and other parts removed. I have been watching a few YouTube vids and they plate the entire thing without even removing the springbars. I have reached out to Johnny Depp and he is contemplating taking the job of re-plating a Rolex 16618.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

I'm curious so I'll search on YouTube to see some of those videos !!!

About JD ...
does he think doing that with or without removing the movement and disassembling the watch ?
is it your 16618 ?

and BTW what do you think about the dial above ... 16618 lapis lazulli dial !!!

U43Es.jpg

Reactions: johnlogan

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
Makes perfect sense to have the movement and other parts removed. I have been watching a few YouTube vids and they plate the entire thing without even removing the springbars. I have reached out to Johnny Depp and he is contemplating taking the job of re-plating a Rolex 16618.

Can he also change gold color like from VRF?

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Rolex white gold is not plated with Rhodium. It is a shade different from steel. Plating with Rhodium will make the watch look like...steel.

gmt2_vs_wgdaytona-dials.jpg

corleone911

6/11/17
Would be 4 microns thick real gold plating thick enough to save the bezel for showing steal after using it a while?

Do anybody have experience ?

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Would be 4 microns thick real gold plating thick enough to save the bezel for showing steal after using it a while?

Do anybody have experience ?

If you are plating to make yellow gold it WILL wear over time and the silver color of steel will poke through. In addition it will be challenging to get the same shade as actual gold...because its plated.

If you are plating to make white gold....seems like a lot of grief to get a slightly browner shade metal.

corleone911

6/11/17
If you are plating to make yellow gold it WILL wear over time and the silver color of steel will poke through. In addition it will be challenging to get the same shade as actual gold...because its plated.

If you are plating to make white gold....seems like a lot of grief to get a slightly browner shade metal.

Even when the plating is around 40 microns thick it would wear of?

For Example the 5711 from BP which is “wrapped” is around 25 microns thick. Of course a “wrapped” watch gets a treatment with head and pressure, so the material is more solid. But I hope a thicker plating with real gold will help.....

Reactions: johnlogan