• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The "Wrapped" Gold Sub Guide"

Tobias86

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/11/16
Lets translate the parts description:

Mymanmatt part = stock replica part (which you can also get on this website called rafflesdials.com as spare parts)

The build you posted is the same watch as this 80 dollar one from Silix, just with a better movement and genuine dial. That means that, except for the movement and dial, you will get the equivalent of a 80 dollar entrylevel replica in terms of accuracy and build quality. To put it in layman terms, this is a very bad replica of the daydate. (the exact details of why are outlined in the thread in my signature)

Isn't MMM's date and day wheels are custom? They look much better then most 36mm reps date and day wheels. I think things could be definitely improved on, but there aren' really any good 36mm rep daydate out there. So Matt' or StoneP are okay alternatives to most stock reps. I do think their prices or atleast Matt' could come down

Tobias86

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/11/16

Mymanmatt part = stock replica part (which you can also get on this website called rafflesdials.com as spare parts)

The build you posted is the same watch as this 80 dollar one from Silix, just with a better movement and genuine dial. That means that, except for the movement and dial, you will get the equivalent of a 80 dollar entrylevel replica in terms of accuracy and build quality. To put it in layman terms, this is a very bad replica of the daydate. (the exact details of why are outlined in the thread in my signature)

Isn't MMM's date and day wheels custom made? They look much better then most 36mm reps date and day wheels. I think things could be definitely improved on, but there aren' really any good 36mm rep daydate out there. So Matt' or StoneP are okay alternatives to most stock reps. I do think their prices or atleast Matt' could come down

gamba66

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/15
Isn't MMM's date and day wheels custom made? They look much better then most 36mm reps date and day wheels. I think things could be definitely improved on, but there aren' really any good 36mm rep daydate out there. So Matt' or StoneP are okay alternatives to most stock reps. I do think their prices or atleast Matt' could come down
Absolutely not

Just take a look at the rafflesdials ones and compare them to the ones in their builds.

http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-cham...-movement-for-the-mens-golden-day-date-watch/
http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-cham...e-mens-rolex-3135-datejust-or-day-date-watch/
http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-whit...tomatic-movement-for-the-mens-day-date-watch/
http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-whit...e-mens-rolex-3135-datejust-or-day-date-watch/

He doesnt custom build anything, he uses freely available replica parts and/or aftermarket parts from ebay or similiar (such as Wholesaleoutlet, startimesupply etc). This way of labeling with his nickname is trying to imply that but it is very misleading..

BP 36mm daydate is currently the most accurate on the market. While it is not perfect and the bracelet could feel better it is absolutely the most accurate in comparison to the other ones which are miles away from a genuine..

I am currently frankening a silver 118239 bp daydate with a genuine dial and crystal and arf fluted bezel

IMG_20171207_151135-L.jpg

Reactions: Snoopie

Tobias86

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/11/16

Tobias86

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
18/11/16
Absolutely not

Just take a look at the rafflesdials ones and compare them to the ones in their builds.

http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-cham...-movement-for-the-mens-golden-day-date-watch/
http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-cham...e-mens-rolex-3135-datejust-or-day-date-watch/
http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-whit...tomatic-movement-for-the-mens-day-date-watch/
http://rafflesdials.com/one-pc-whit...e-mens-rolex-3135-datejust-or-day-date-watch/

He doesnt custom build anything, he uses freely available replica parts and/or aftermarket parts from ebay or similiar (such as Wholesaleoutlet, startimesupply etc). This way of labeling with his nickname is trying to imply that but it is very misleading..

BP 36mm daydate is currently the most accurate on the market. While it is not perfect and the bracelet could feel better it is absolutely the most accurate in comparison to the other ones which are miles away from a genuine..

I am currently frankening a silver 118239 bp daydate with a genuine dial and crystal and arf fluted bezel

IMG_20171207_151135-L.jpg

Well that is misleading if that's the case. I knew most parts were rep parts sourced out from different outlets. Then used gen dials and other parts at request of the customer...but I always heard his day and datewheels were custom.

Btw that BP daydate looks pretty good. Still waiting for you to get bored with that TW best DD lol

991Turbo

14/6/16
It's a buyers market. If people weren't foolish enough to pay the high prices, then they would also be forced to make them cheaper. We can only blame ourselves :)

Correct. And maybe now, with the more we talk about it and realize that the surcharge for zero gold isn't worth it, the TD's will be forced to lower the price.

D

d4m.test

I am just asking.
I'm confused.
Some praise him in the sky and others curse him

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
Matt charges a price to assemble watches out of mid level quality components and genuine dials crowns etc.

No more no less. I could do the same thing he does, and I would charge more. It's labor intensive to build, and time consuming to source parts.

People should hit up r fac and complain that they charge too much for some stainless steel, 100 year old technology movements, and some ink on a round brass disc.

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Your opinion about these new watches:
https://puretime05.com/submariner-11...let-a2836.html

Their color is the same as that of Noob or BP?
What kind of watch in color now looks more like a Gen (Noob, BP, VRF)?
Watch from the VRF are cheaper.

VRF is known to use a mix of parts, The clasp code is 6YZ same as BP so logic would say they are using the same BP wrapped gold. This watch is a few 100 cheaper then the BP wrapped so that’s a plus but I can’t speak to weather the dial and the other parts are an improvement or not.

Comparing the 3 factories, if your asking which gold color is the most accurate to gen that would be BP wrapped and VRF (only if they are using BP wrapped gold). Noobs version of wrapped gold looks more like 14k color bc it’s too light plus they only make a two tone version in wrapped no full gold sub.

Reactions: mopreport

cuba-2013

22/4/13
Montreux (France)
I have a Gen for two tones, I compared it with Wrapped watches, but I did not know what kind of factories these were.
information I found on forum that they are produced by two factories, in a store where replicas were being performed there were two different variants wrapped in gold (I think that this is just 2 different factories, since the price was high they were wrapped in gold not PVD and so on cheaper coverage).
But seller did not know which factories it produced, but market now sells wrapped gold as I understood 2 factories.
Comparing these watches, color of gold in some was too light (as Versace wrote they look like 14K gold), in other watches color was darker, but still it was different and when comparing watch next you can see that color is DIFFERENT.
(Maybe when you take a photo they look like a screen, but holding watch in hands of watch looks different.)
On forum, I saw a comparison of details of gold Gen bracelet and wrapped gold, in photo color was same as that of Gen, but holding watch in its hands is ANOTHER COLOR.
I compared models to two tones, can wrapped full gold color different but I do not think so, factories a the same.
I thought there might be a third factory and color would look more like Gen.

cuba-2013

22/4/13
Montreux (France)
Also, I bought my wife a day-date wrapped gold with a green strap (price more than $ 900), dealer assured that color of gold is the same as that of Gen.
Comparing gold with my two tones and day-date color is different.
I do not know if I'm picky, but I see that it's not gold.
When you make a photo it seems that color of gold is same (an example in photo), but it's NOT SO!!!

In picture Cartier and Submariner 18K gold, on right watch are wrapped in gold, in fact they are of different colors, but again in photo it is not very noticeable.
I also bought Ademars Piguet, dealers on photo and video watch were all like real yellow gold, when they received package they turned out to be COPPER in any lighting, I could not even put them on their hands !!! But when I took a photo on phone they were on screen yellow and looked like real gold.
I did jeweler gold test for a day-date watch, jeweler confirmed that it was not gold in them. What composition he could say, you need another chemical test.

The first two photos show a little more difference.
On the right watch color of gold is darker-yellow, in reality difference is even greater.

So I thought maybe third factory appeared and it will make best color.
On video of Angus, wrapped gold submariner looks very good.

I apologize for my English using Google translate

99c8759bc881.jpg

c8dec152e5f1.jpg

01c59bdce33b.jpg

f97eb61c0d82.jpg

dc2_bb6_cu2

Renowned Member
18/6/17
Does anyone have pictures of worn two tone reps? I’ve been so close to purchasing the VRF 116613 but want to know what to expect.

Will any light ding peel the gold off or are they a bit less delicate ?

Reactions: mcdrake

hab3z

Known Member
1/1/16
Im not sure if anyone has brought this up yet-

But i recently bought the VRF two tone "wrapped" sub and despite what some have said (that the sides of the SELs are not covered in gold), my TD has taken a QC picture of the watch and well, lo and behold. The side SELs are wrapped. Lol.

6Xu0LUD.jpg

Hopefully this puts some queries to rest.

Cheers!

Reactions: DaHokage

Bullflo3

Certified
13/2/18
Im not sure if anyone has brought this up yet-

But i recently bought the VRF two tone "wrapped" sub and despite what some have said (that the sides of the SELs are not covered in gold), my TD has taken a QC picture of the watch and well, lo and behold. The side SELs are wrapped. Lol.

6Xu0LUD.jpg

Hopefully this puts some queries to rest.

Cheers!

Definitely good to know! I’m considering going this route for my next pick up so check back in with some “real world” pics once you take delivery..

harmeetjollyy

7/8/16
Which is the best submariner in terms of build quality and movement Noob or Vrf?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI