• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] Rolex 16610/16800 submariner (super?)franken build diary + JF 16610 LN review

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Goal of the build: A RSC serviced 16800 / early 16610 submariner. Notice that I described my build as 'RSC serviced' so that I can get away with not being 100% period correct (e.g. no early 703 crown, superluminova hands instead of tritium, and non-open 6/9 date disc if I am going after the 16800 look).

16800-072814-2.jpg

The reason why this is a 16610/16800 build is because I will be using a JF 16610 LN as the base for this build and I noticed that the rehaut on the JF 16610 LN is a lot shallower than modern superluminova 16610 (although not as shallow as the 16800). The JF 16610 LN's shallow rehaut appears to be similar to the early 16610 (e.g. R series and L series) - or maybe there is some optical illusion somewhere?

Here is a QC pic of my JF 16610 LN's rehaut (notice that the rehaut looks shallower than a gen 16610 M-series):
8yM1EWJh.jpg

And here is a rehaut pic of a gen 16610 LN (M-series)
rehaut.jpg

IMG_3644.JPG

Parts acquired so far:
- Gen 16610/16800 dial (it has gone patina and the finish turned matte - characteristics of later 16800 dial)
- Gen tritium bezel insert
- Gen 704 crown
- Gen 25 295c LEC crystal
- Gen 3135 date disc
- Riyi002 20mm oyster bracelet with hollow end links

Still waiting for...
- JF 16610 LN watch

Planning to..
1. Wait for all the parts to arrive
2. Sand the rehaut
3. Find someone to drill lug holes into my watch
4. Reinstall everything with added gen parts
YvcUy8lh.jpg

pihTYvBh.jpg

pLwC80ah.jpg

Here are the QC pics of the JF 16610 LN I received from sead (thanks sead! He sent me many high resolution pics for QC)

yWhTLxD.jpg

dRNOaCc.jpg

IM2YMJr.jpg

rGjDSOQ.jpg

l9Osnpp.jpg

8yM1EWJ.jpg

aswwlQ6.jpg

SP4mOlH.jpg

nKwkyG7.jpg

yv3crgw.jpg

TcajDzF.jpg

2wQZbRG.jpg

edtPjnm.jpg

TfZtJ1e.jpg

6nlh6Cb.jpg

7U57MoC.jpg

Once I receive the JF 16610 LN, I will do a review of it
Stay tuned!

Reactions: heska

sputim

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
cbc0ccd5032b8f5e660e92a63d11543c.jpg

This will be a fantastic build mate! Have a smiliar project going with tritium parts all from the same watch and will use a tc case set and a sh3135 movement. Keep us posted and good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
cbc0ccd5032b8f5e660e92a63d11543c.jpg

This will be a fantastic build mate! Have a smiliar project going with tritium parts all from the same watch and will use a tc case set and a sh3135 movement. Keep us posted and good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks and good luck to your build as well! your project is quite similar indeed

Lucky you for being able to source a TC case set! My original plan was to use a TC case as well

I have already finished my TC superfranken build, but I couldn't resist building a vintage 16610 this time:
7t50qhph.jpg

SubdayExpress

Village Idiot
30/12/15
I wonder if it's just the engraving that is making the rehaut look not as deep. While the pic of the JF isn't that great, the font looks a tad taller and more skinny than the real pic below it. Curious to see what it looks like when you have it in hand ...

Also looking forward to your build. Keep us updated!!

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I wonder if it's just the engraving that is making the rehaut look not as deep. While the pic of the JF isn't that great, the font looks a tad taller and more skinny than the real pic below it. Curious to see what it looks like when you have it in hand ...

Also looking forward to your build. Keep us updated!!

I think the shallow rehaut might actually have something to do with the crystal's AR. Some members have reported that the JF 16610 LV has this AR film which distorts the rehaut a bit

I will kepp you all updated! Hopefully the watch arrives soon. Also, congratulations to you for doing the impossible - finding a 3035 case!

magoohkg

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/15
Wow, looking forward to seeing the end result! Good luck with your project!

Sent from my iPad using RWI

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Wow, looking forward to seeing the end result! Good luck with your project!

Sent from my iPad using RWI

Thanks!
I am still waiting eagerly for the case to arrive. I will be picking up some sand paper cape cod, and a scotch brite pad tomorrow

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Look what came by post today
NuNUTgI.jpg

N8fhgv8.jpg

hpLOR9L.jpg

ER7ZBzD.jpg

And here it is finally - the JF 16610 LN
Ck6BAc0.jpg

Next to my TC reshaped superfranken (gen: dial, insert, hands, date disc, crown, crystal, some parts of the yuki 3135)
IG6Xq5w.jpg

First shot after removing all the plastic
a3qNEsC.jpg

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
1. First impression / feel of it
- I am blown away by the level of quality at first glance. The AR crystal really pops and it looked like there wasn't a crystal installed
- The watch felt hefty like my TC superfranken and I already had trouble distinguishing quickly which watch is the TC superfranken because JF did a good job
- But the most obvious flaw was immediately seen on the JF and that is the date disc numbers - they are too bold

2. What I like about the watch
- The dial = it is printed without smudges and the fonts are really sharp. I don't have another M-series 16610 to compare with unfortunately (because the JF 16610 LN is based on the M-series Rolex), but the dial looks legit whether that is close upfront of from a distance. The dial indices with metal surrounds is polished very well and it sparkles just like gen. Dial lume glows brightly like gen as well.
- Improved rehaut = the rehaut doesn't appear to be as wokky as before (i.e. the JF 16610 LV). I noticed that people have mentioned before how the rehaut looks shallow may have something to do with a thin perpendicular second rehaut that lies beneath the slanted top rehaut - this gives an illusion (under the stock AR crystal and dial reflection) that the rehaut is narrow. I also noticed that the crystal height is different to genuine Rolex pics and my superfranken TC - perhaps this may be an indication that the rehaut height on the JF 16610 LN is different to gen, but I will need to swap out the crystal to a genuine one (with genuine gasket) in order to confirm this. I am not a rehaut engraving expert (as I mainly dwell with older Rolex) but they look fine under the naked eye
- The hands = the level of shine / 3D effect / proportions and dimensions / pointy-ness / length is just like the gen hands in my TC superfranken. These hands are better than all aftermarket sub hands out there - they are among the top with TC hands as well
- The movement = feels great for now with no reports of screwing up yet - in fact it winds smoother than my serviced Yuki 3135 and the date flips perfectly. But time will truly show whether this movement is reliable
- The bracelet's SEL is stronger now? = I tried using force to tear away the bracelet away from the SEL - but without success. Either I am weak af and could do with some more gym time, or JF has improved their bracelet's SEL link
- The bracelet has low-profile mid hump like gen, this compares well with my gen oyster bracelet. The older TC bracelets that appeared on the early TC V6 have SEL mid-humps which was irritating to me
- The little details = You know what, JF has bothered to do the little things and make them correct to gen, like making dimples on the clasp's micro-adjustment springbar (just like gen) and add loctite onto the removable bracelet screws. The springbar is also VERY VERY sturdy and looks like the gen ones - they have no play whatsoever when inserted in between the lugs
- The SEL doesn't wobble too much = the top SEL is tight and there is no play at all, while the bottom SEL has a very minor amount of play (which is acceptable because it corresponds to my gen 16570's SEL). There is a very very small SEL gap but I am very impressed nevertheless
- The lume = the lume strength is identical to my TC superfranken with gen dial and gen hands. The lume colour are both identical in colour and strength!
- The engravings between the lugs = the engravings are very detailed and sharp
- The bezel teeth = very sharp and well defined, sharper than my TC's bezel teeth (but bear in mind, TC sub is replicated after the older pre-rehaut engraving subs so some of the series had shallower rehaut teeth)

(Left is TC superfranken wiht gen dial and hands. Right is JF 16610 LN)
JVTa0Ga.jpg

3. What I disliked about the watch
- The bracelet links are sharp = the links of the bracelet feel no way near like my genuine oyster bracelet or a TC bracelet (that i used to own). But i think this could be fixed by sanding and rebrushing with scour pads
- The bracelet's clasp = VERY VERY difficult to open and it feels low quality - feels nothing like a TC clasp or genuine Rolex clasp. The diver's extension link takes a lot of force to open
- The date disc font = the numbers on the date disc is too bold, but they are centered very well. This is the biggest tell in my opinion and JF must correct this eventually. I recommend a genuine date disc to fix this problem
- The bezel has some play and it can get hard to turn at certain positions = but maybe this problem will eventually vanish as the bezel will become smoother through use (over time)

4. Conclusion
- This watch still amazes me in every damn way. I don't think I will ever buy a gen 16610 when this watch looks and behaves in every way possible to a real one
- With some minor modding and franken-ing, this watch can definitely become a perfect TC alternative. Mods that I recommend (prioritized with number 1 as the most important):
1. DATE DISC must go away and needs to be replaced with a genuine one
2. The crystal can be replaced with a proper non-AR 25 295c
3. Bracelet can do with rebrushing and sanding to remove the sharp edges. The clasp can be tweaked with pliers to make it close/open more comfortably (to avoid the need of brute force to opening/closing it)
4. The notorious 3135 superclone movement may demand for servicing at some point, whether your movement arrives DOA or it screws up eventually
- This watch is so well built that I don't want to do any intrusive modding to it, like sanding the rehaut and drilling lug holes. I think this watch is a testimony to showing JF factory's capabilities. The replication detail is amazingly good. With watches like this, I question why do I bother with buying gen.
- If JF releases a 16710 GMT Master II and a proper Daytona that is built to this level of quality, then:
1. Rolex needs to start improving on their security features in their watches
2. I think I will never buy another Rolex again as I will be ultimately content

5. Other points worth mentioning
- The JF bracelet fits my TC case using the supplied spring bar, but the TC case was made to poorer lug width tolerance so it moved side-to-side. I will be doing this test again with a genuine 801 end-link Oyster bracelet on the JF case
- Sanding the rehaut engravings is probably ok for a M-series case. I have seen genuine M-series 16610 without rehaut engraving - but those cases begin with M0 serial

I will be uploading more pictures soon

Reactions: Anyad

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
6. gen bracelet vs JF bracelet and JF 16610's acceptance of gen bracelet
- I own a gen Explorer II 16570 which uses the 78790 bracelet. The gen 78790 bracelet shares the same solid end link (801) as the gen 16610's 93250 bracelet.
- Therefore, if the gen Explorer II's 78790 bracelet can fit onto the JF 16610, and if the JF 93250 bracelet can fit onto the gen Explorer II, then that means the JF 93250 bracelet and JF's 16610 lug area is made to gen specs

My findings show that
1. JF 93250 bracelet's end link is interchangeable with gen Rolex as it fits onto my gen Explorer II 16570 perfectly
2. JF 16610's lug area can accept gen 78790 / 93250 bracelet
3. Overall, gen/rep are both interchangeable
4. The SEL on the JF 93250 bracelet is beautiful and fits gen Explorer II beautifully as well

The contenders for today...
Left = JF 16610, Middle = TC superfranken 16610, Right = Gen Explorer II 16570
Top bracelet = gen 78790 from gen Explorer II 16570
Bottom bracelet = JF 93250 from JF 16610
Z4chJmF.jpg

Top: gen 78790
Bottom: JF 93250
Gen bracelet has a smaller mouth on the clasp coronet and the clasp coronet is more 3D and well-defined (but bear in mind that Rolex may vary their specs at bit throughout the years, so it is always best to use and compare the same bracelets - i.e. a gen 93250 bracelet with the same clasp year as the JF bracelet)
vKTlLTq.jpg

The SEL on the JF 93250 bracelet is very very very very very very very very nice and gen-like - they even fit like gen on the gen Explorer II. There isn't a high mid-hump present on the JF 93250 bracelet (unlike those early TC V6 bracelet) and they look identical to gen 801 SEL
fJ4fp4Y.jpg

l3K690M.jpg

Clasp's backside
j6Oozrb.jpg

Left: gen 78790
Right: JF 93250
801 SEL
xvIPTFz.jpg

The JF 93250 bracelet fits the gen Explorer II beautifully and totally within gen tolerance
6xkd54W.jpg

k6OMMAd.jpg

paK04uT.jpg

The gen 78790 bracelet (with 801 end links which is identical to the gen 93250 bracelet) fits onto the JF 16610 perfectly as well without play on one side and a very minimum amount of play on the other side
x9JO2S9.jpg

g3LJuKE.jpg

Both watches together with the same gen 78790 bracelet
V4KAToa.jpg

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
I love this thread. Just ordered a JF (but unfortunately I picked the wrong TD). Glad to hear how satisfied you are with this rep.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I love this thread. Just ordered a JF (but unfortunately I picked the wrong TD). Glad to hear how satisfied you are with this rep.

haha I hear ya there
(before I bought this, I also ordered from the wrong TD and they got pissed and refunded me after I rejected my QC pics twice when the faults were quite serious. I waited for a month because it was out of stock but only to receive nothing at the end)
I am just praying that the SH3135 doesn't crap out any time soon... but the watch still ticks so far... I hope to keep it that way

gamba66

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/15
This is so interesting to me. JF really brought out a very good 5 digit submariner.

I am dreaming and hoping that they will do the same for the 5-digit Daydate.

I wonder what the reason is that they decided to rep an older generation?

Excellent review as always @pompourin! I always feel like I have learned something after reading your posts, they are laid out very informatively :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
This is so interesting to me. JF really brought out a very good 5 digit submariner.

I am dreaming and hoping that they will do the same for the 5-digit Daydate.

I wonder what the reason is that they decided to rep an older generation?

Excellent review as always @pompourin! I always feel like I have learned something after reading your posts, they are laid out very informatively :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no problem! Glad you enjoyed reading it
BP and JF are the only factories that still seems to be interested in replicating 5 digit subs
Maybe because since TC has gone, the market has opened up for opportunities and dominance
But from what I have understood and read in the Angus' industry insight threads, the JF 16610 was under development for more than a year before the original JF 16610 LV was released - this was before TC's departure
IMO, the JF 16610 LN is an excellent rep in its own ways, but I haven't compared OCD minor details yet (like dial and insert typography) because I don't know if it is reliable to just compare random online pics when Rolex has had many variations unexpectedly

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Thank you, pompompurin for this great review!

Made me feel quite interested.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Thank you, pompompurin for this great review!

Made me feel quite interested.

giphy.gif

No problem! It is a definitely a rep that questions my sanity in buying gen
But perhaps you may have to allocate some money for potential servicing and to buy a gen date disc