• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EXPLORER I 214270 2016 BASELWORLD 39MM V2 JF VS GEN

sebo_watch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/17
Sorry but on my computer the link is not working.
Can list the "new" flaws? For me the Gen vs Rep dial on the puretime site seems very impressive.

crookedcorners

Horology Curious
14/11/18
When people say NWBIG in regards to this watch, what do they mean? It looks identical, or it wears identical?

I'm thinking of buying one and just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. I have a modest watch collection (Seiko, Hamilton, Squale, Tag, JLC) but this would be my first rep. I don't expect a $6,000 watch but I'm not real sure what I should expect. Is this like buying an Invicta? Seiko? Basically, outside of looking like a Rolex is this a watch worth a couple hundred bucks?

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
When people say NWBIG in regards to this watch, what do they mean? It looks identical, or it wears identical?

I'm thinking of buying one and just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. I have a modest watch collection (Seiko, Hamilton, Squale, Tag, JLC) but this would be my first rep. I don't expect a $6,000 watch but I'm not real sure what I should expect. Is this like buying an Invicta? Seiko? Basically, outside of looking like a Rolex is this a watch worth a couple hundred bucks?

As far as quality, I cant speak to the explorer, but you get more bang for your buck with these reps. My $500 reps rival my $2000 gen's. Only place they come short is the movements and smaller details.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
NWBIG means "Not Worth Buying In Gen" as in, the rep is good enough in appearance and quality that it can adequately stand in for the gen under nearly all circumstances. I am only about 6 months into buying reps and have about 15, but I can say for sure that the ones I have bought are definitely worth what I paid, up to $600 in one case. I mean that just as a watch. Add to it that it's standing in for an 8K, 10K or 35K watch and we got a freaking bonanza going on here.

I have chosen to stay with ETA movements (2824, 2836, 2813) except for the landmark Noob Daytona 4130 and a Miyota 9015. I can work on the ETAs and the Miyota myself, they are fairly simple, cheap and easy to replace. Many of the Asian super clones (3135, 3255, 3186, etc) can be more troublesome and are harder to get parts for and to service, etc. For every post I see with an ETA issue, there are 5 or more about a super clone. Some watches are only available with a super clone, for me that most often means choosing a different watch.

Here is what I chose for the 39mm Exp, a cheapie from Reg with a 2813. $105, pretty much the best bang for the buck I ever spent. Good luck with your choice!

91fNZ.jpg

tmp2018

Renowned Member
28/5/17
KJ2020 i can see your reg rep is based on an existing gen (explorer), but it is pretty wrong in many aspects....(dial, rehaut...)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 i can see your reg rep is based on an existing gen (explorer), but it is pretty wrong in many aspects....(dial, rehaut...)

You won't get a super rep for $105, but this is indeed an outstanding, beautiful watch. Nobody but us geeks would ever know.

Edit: I never meant to imply this is a super rep, or anything but a cheapie. It just happened to be in the same post as my answer to the question of what an NWBIG is. Although for sure this watch will absolutely meet that criteria for me, i.e., I won't be buying the gen.

15341859686854.jpg

15325317403070.jpg

Last edited:

mottykytu

4/6/13
Can you please help me ? I'm newbie here

Where can I buy the JF v2 Explorer Now? And what is the bést price for it?

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
From what I've read the JF is the best option out. Also the SH3132 is a fine movement but it's recommend to get it service right away. Not servicing it and waiting for a problem is likely to make any potential problem worse. I read that there are issues with the 3132 date, but 214270 doesn't have a date so it's fine. At least based on my reading up so far.

So of the reasons why the JF is better is that the crown position is matched to Gen while the noob and BP sit too high. The crown on those also has a useless step which would be for a date, but obvious 214270 doesn't have a date so that's wrong too.

I know JF corrected the text so you won't see E XPLOR E R. I did read that the dial is better on the BP though.

Anyone please feel free to correct or chime in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The dial isn't better on the BP . The ONLY reason to buy the BP version would be to avoid the SH3132 and get an eta clone movement.

Petrotime88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/16
After reading through this entire thread, I still dont know which is the better version among BP, JF v2, and ARF

JMK

13/2/18
I have the JF... biggest issue is really the hour hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major Tom

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/15
"Harder and more rust and corrosion-resistant than other steels, this 904L steel can take and hold a polish incredibly well. This is why steel Rolex watches look different than other steel watches. Rolex calls 904L stainless steel a “corrosion-resistant superalloy.” 904L differs from 316L because of extra Chromium, Molybdenum, Nickel, and Copper which gives it improved resistance to acids."

Has anyone compared the 904L ARF with a 316L SS Explorer? Curious to know the difference in color, polishing, etc between 904 and 316L, if any. I mean how is it even possible for us to know if there is no notable difference without having it analysed?

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
In general 904 steel looks whiter/colder, 316 looks warmer.

I agree with Repworld after digging through posts for hours the jury is still out. For now I decided for JFv2 merely because of the price difference

Major Tom

Banned
18/7/15
Does the Explorer (arf/jf, BP, Noob, GRF) come with Easy Link?