• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16610lv JF vs. Gen z-series

sputim

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
As the title says I finally managed to take some pictures and compare my jf 16610lv to my gen 16610lv z-series. I will let the pictures speak for the most part of this review.

Let's start with the insert (top is gen):

IMG_2016_zps6s7uwrpf.jpg

1 - gen z-series insert / 2- jf insert / 3 - brand new insert from 2017:

IMG_2021_zpsdsjc5vcd.jpg

IMG_2022_zpswkka5gwn.jpg

IMG_2023_zps4srb1wna.jpg

IMG_2024_zpsgxq7ohaf.jpg

Middle is jf the lower and upper insert are gen:

IMG_2025_zpsxj2gwog2.jpg

IMG_2026_zpso0wl9jiv.jpg

Top is gen:

IMG_2036_zpssabvkdlo.jpg

CG's and crown (left is gen):

IMG_2017_zpsdxmaar7n.jpg

IMG_2035_zpsgsgk3t90.jpg

Case profile, crown (top is gen):
IMG_2020_zps4iv5ba0c.jpg

Caseback (left is gen):
IMG_2034_zpsbhmajv9w.jpg

Crystal, dial and hands (first 2 are gen):

IMG_2033_zpsnpdlmdgi.jpg

IMG_2018_zps6kl4gr6p.jpg

IMG_2032_zpsomxcwd6a.jpg

IMG_2019_zpsyhi2utcf.jpg

upper is gen:

IMG_2031_zpswzwiqdz3.jpg

right is gen:

IMG_2030_zpsx3h17kne.jpg

Engraving JF is excellent!
IMG_2039_zpsmnqweulk.jpg

IMG_2038_zps7kux7t30.jpg

Bezel (left is gen):
IMG_2029_zpsdr5374qt.jpg

IMG_2028_zps8epznqhg.jpg

Bracelet (left always gen):
IMG_2046_zpssuxqfkp4.jpg

IMG_2045_zpsinaamrgu.jpg

IMG_2044_zpsg1iocdr9.jpg

IMG_2043_zpsnjgzy2ha.jpg

IMG_2041_zpssbxnitlu.jpg

IMG_2040_zpskjjsgpi4.jpg

What can I say? The JF is a very good attempt for a v1 and is certainly a very solid and good looking watch! I also own several TC's and only thing I can say it that it comes very close. Is it better? No, but definitely close and with some updates (v2, v3) it will become a super rep for sure. The rehaut is in my eyes the only visible proble as of rn. The rehaut is too "wokky" but this will hopefully be fixed by the next version (v2). Hands and dial are excellent so is the case (I know it is not gen spec but aesthetically it is very close and the cg's are not too short in my eyes. I am very happy with the watch and I can highly recommend it. Get the sh3135 serviced and make sure the watch is pressure tested and you'll have an incredible nice 5 digit sub. In my case the bezel assembly was a snug fit and I had to use a case knife to remove it. Lose bezel assembly probably has to do with discrepancy and can be solved by using a thicker gasket.

Issues:

For me the bracelet holds up nicely but I am aware of the issue some members faced of the bracelet falling apart. Maybe it was only bad luck. Moreover, the datefont is indeed a little too thick for some 2 digit dates so it is certainly a nice upgrade to get a gen dw installed during service. Gen crystal is an upgrade but not necessary in my eyes. Only visible change the gen crystal achieves is that it will sit a little bit higher (correct height) and a better cyclop (however the jf cyclop is not bad at all!).

Please note that this is a subjective review and I kindly as to not start a comparison between jf and tc :)

Enjoy,
sputim

bkdc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/07
Thanks for this! I think the photos speak for themselves. I still can't figure out why JF wanted to etch the rehaut and add one additional minor potential flaw that could have been avoided.

How is the "FEEL" of the bezel rotation and the bracelet?

sputim

Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
Thanks for this! I think the photos speak for themselves.

How is the "FEEL" of the bezel rotation and the bracelet?

Bracelet I d say: gen > TC 90% > JF 85%

After cleaning the bezel assembly with my ultrasonic cleaner it clicks very nice and compared to my tc I d say the same. Gen is however in a differet league. Still very decent tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Fantastic comparison :applause: - I'm pretty excited to get my JF back from service (its going to be a long wait - just sent it off yesterday... :bye2:) ...

I was curious about something with the bracelets. Before I sent mine off - I enjoyed it for a few days. I got very use to the "lightness" of it and really liked that. But, everyone mentions that the gen bracelet is like steel butter on the skin - how do you feel about the finish of the JF? By that I mean the edges -- I noticed there were some pretty sharp edges on the clasp that might get softened when it returns (edge that folds first before the locking clasp), but wanted to get your thoughts since you have both there. Any insight?

Thanks though - both watches look great!

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
Excellent comparison. I believe the JF is a great rep for the money, V2 should be near perfect

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Excellent side by side. Many thanks for that! The LV is growing on me, but im still waiting for the LN first :p . Hands down the best 5 digit sub avaible after TC.

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Thanks for going to the trouble.

Great shots and your opinions are appreciated.

This watch still seems to be a great Rep regardless of the reported issues.

asiparks

30/5/08
Got to give love to people who post comparo's of side by side actual watches, with care and pertinent observations instead of pulling random pics from the internet and bitching how the crown guards are an "obvious tell".
Thankyou sir !!

sputim

Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
Fantastic comparison :applause: - I'm pretty excited to get my JF back from service (its going to be a long wait - just sent it off yesterday... :bye2:) ...

I was curious about something with the bracelets. Before I sent mine off - I enjoyed it for a few days. I got very use to the "lightness" of it and really liked that. But, everyone mentions that the gen bracelet is like steel butter on the skin - how do you feel about the finish of the JF? By that I mean the edges -- I noticed there were some pretty sharp edges on the clasp that might get softened when it returns (edge that folds first before the locking clasp), but wanted to get your thoughts since you have both there. Any insight?

Thanks though - both watches look great!

Thx buddy! I know what you mean and the jf bracelet certainly has some rough edges but it is still a good bracelet and by wearing it the edges get softened out for sure. Gen bracelet feels superior for sure but on the wrist I think the difference is minor.

jembediah

Renowned Member
20/5/14
wow the datewheel is really off compare to gen,
wondering is it also of for a single digit date ? or less noticeable ? thanks

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
I was thinking that the insert on the first batches of jf was wrong due to thicker font but it turns out it was correct. Wasn't expecting the gen insert to have fat digits as well.

Greart review but you could have made better pictures in better lighting conditions !

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us!

Sent from the RWI App

Luvwatch

21/8/14
Nice review buddy, I notice the magnification in the date to be a visible difference. Hope they improve this.
Like the combination of colors.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Nice review buddy, I notice the magnification in the date to be a visible difference. Hope they improve this.
Like the combination of colors.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

A gen crystal will fix the magnification.

Sent from the RWI App

sputim

Supporter
Patron
Certified
20/1/13
Here pics with gen xtal installed and on a tc v7 bracelet. :)
7aa0ef3501f6e6a8eab06ed77a38e960.jpg
c92eb8dc454fb645803997785166aec2.jpg

dogrough

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/9/12
Very good review, next thing i need to do is get one. I thought i saw that JF were now doing a LN & a 116613, wonder if these are as good ?

Kevin

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
That looks the business. The bolder date font is starting to grow on me

Jonjon75019

Looking Around
1/5/17
Great review !! Big thank you @sputim ! I'm new here and this kind of review help us newbies a lot !!
I know what to buy now !

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Very nice and informative review and compare.
The JF seems to be really good watch.
I am not sure to wait for the newer JF LV version or go for the JF LN (By the way, the JF 16610LN looks also great)

The LV insert is also very close to Gen, I was thinking it is too different from JF to Gen.

Thanks a lot for this thread!