• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Polish gold on gen hands?

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to polish out some minor scratches on gen gmt 2c hands? I bought them and realised they are a bit scratched up so I figured I will either have to get them polished or replated.

Couldn't do this myself so would have to send to a watchsmith / modder if either option is possible.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Moldy780

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
21/8/16
It's probably possible to polish them, but it would be a tedious task that not every watchmaker can perform, also they'd risk getting bent and lume cracked. Maybe someone else has had this done and can chime in

1680Red

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/11
Yes it is possible, even on steel hands but on the gen gold hands it is even a little bit easier since the gold is softer. However the big risk is damaging the white lume.
When I polish a hand that is scratched I use a buffing wheel that completely new and therefore clean. If I polish the minute hand or the straight part of the hour hand I try to cover the lumed part with some special hear resistant tape that.

But as I said, there is always a risk of placing some smudge on the white lume and that is hard to remove if it's even possible.

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Yes it is possible, even on steel hands but on the gen gold hands it is even a little bit easier since the gold is softer. However the big risk is damaging the white lume.
When I polish a hand that is scratched I use a buffing wheel that completely new and therefore clean. If I polish the minute hand or the straight part of the hour hand I try to cover the lumed part with some special hear resistant tape that.

But as I said, there is always a risk of placing some smudge on the white lume and that is hard to remove if it's even possible.

Ok great thank you - I will look into it and see if anyone local can do it for me. Good to know it can be done, am happy to get it relumed also

Reactions: nomana