• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Rep of GMT Pepsi vintage?

SmartyPants

18/5/17
OK, I have my fingers crossed for a 16710 from JF. Since both the BP and Noob have incorrect handstack, it's a dealbreaker for me. The cartel 1675 is way to thick (a great part of my fascination for the pesi is its sleekness on the wrist). Six digit versions are of course out of the question. Please JF, make a decent version so that I don't have to spend my holiday budget on a gen...

I understand. I was in the same spot as you. ICHS would have been a dealbreaker for me also.

But after owning a CHS watch (which I had only trouble with) I'd never want to buy a CHS watch again. They're time bombs. Many people on the forums complain about the same thing. So what's the point of having a gorgeous 16710 when you have to be afraid that it might give up any minute? I'd take the ICHS any day over a CHS simply because of reliability.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I wouldn't consider GMT-Master reps:
- out of the box cartel 1675 has a poor case shape and requires reshaping and slimming-down. This cost money for reshaping
- and once you have reshaped the case, the inherently wrong crown/stem/height position ruins the watch. It can be partially meditated by having the modder install a 6mm crown (so that it looks like the crown is sitting higher), but a gen one by comparison comes with 5.3mm crown
- the 16710 rep was made by noob and now by BP. The only reliable movement out there for this rep is the ICHS A2836-2 version which is visibly wrong to me (and one can get paranoid wearing it). Plus, the wrong crown/stem/tube height of the 16710 with A2836-2 movement is a giveaway because the 16710 has thick crownguard (so it looks relatively obvious that the crown is incorrectly positioned to the crownguard)

I rather...
- Save up money for gen explorer II 16570 (I have seen them for $2500+ head only) and swap-out the dial for a gen GMT Master II and then swap out the bezel for a rep GMT assembly. The 16570 and 16710 both have identical case shapes and movement (3185/3186)

I once thought about franken-ing a 16710 but i realised that there were no appropriate case available for a yuki 3185 conversion (i.e. the noob and BP cases have lower crown/stem/tube height to accommodate A2836-2 movement) so it was a no go. Instead I bought a gen 16570 to save the hassle

TitleistAP22

Horology Curious
20/5/17
Interested in buying a BP 16710 but most I see on TD's have the A3186 movement? Is this a reliable movement? Any info or links to past topics on this would be greatly appreciated, I've searched and can't find anything that is of recent. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

d39918

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/5/16
Guys, I have an old Noob Exp. II case that's know to be best for 16710 builds but since i picked up a gen Explorer II for my build the case is available if anyone needs it. I checked and the Yuki converted to GMT does fit.

The rehaut has already been sanded off by Zocker.

Sent from the RWI mobile app