• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DD40 Noob Vs BP?

brokeassboi

Horology Curious
30/4/17
I've been trying to search through the forum picking through and compiling the differences between these two particlar DD40 noob/BP models and I am having a hard time, not many people have spoken up and mainly all I see is discussion on the BPs.

The two particular DD40's are these, but this discusion can apply to any of the newly released DD40 reps.

NoobRolex DD40 and BP Factory DD40

I would truly appreciate any feedback from anyone, current owners, past owners, or even just well educated people who have been around for much longer than myself. I already ordered the noob version and I am starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice.

One thing I do not understand at all still are the movements, why is the noob $40 more expensive with an asian clone movement, and the BP cheaper? Is it just the different movements? And are these considered about as high quality DD40s you can get without as far as rep accuracy goes?

My last question is, I want to purchase the correct box, would it be the newer rolex style box and if so, who carries these in stock for a decent price?

brokeassboi

Horology Curious
30/4/17
No one? I have both on the way so I guess I will post up the comparison myself.

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
BP watches are usually cheaper because they are slightly "less" good than other makers. If that makes sense.

Boxes are looked down upon around here... People who try to scam and sell reps as gens buy boxes. Not saying that's what you are doing, just a general feeling of the forums.
Watch boxes just collect dust in closets.

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
BP watches are usually cheaper because they are slightly "less" good than other makers. If that makes sense.

Boxes are looked down upon around here... People who try to scam and sell reps as gens buy boxes. Not saying that's what you are doing, just a general feeling of the forums.
Watch boxes just collect dust in closets.

Well, when it comes to DD and DJ BP V2 is supposed to be the best out there right now.

CurrentTime

Pop Tarts, Flip Flops, and Fugazi Watches
14/10/15
SW Florida
I would go with the BP. The Noobs have wonky dials ( thick markers, font issues). I ordered a BP 40mm from rnrprof with his 2XAR and am excited to get it.
As for the price, the BP is cheaper, but I would argue also totally better value.

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Most people including my self have the BP version but Noob does have a better day font.

Soldier2304

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/17
There is mixed reactions. I have a BP Ice blue DD and it is a beautiful watch just wish the date font was better. Noobs seems to have a better datefont altogether but some claim their dials are not as good as BP. A good combo would be BP dials and noob Date fonts

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
BP DD for reference:
35fcb5fa451477a0033a3b8c6040561f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Has anyone successfully swapped the noob day font wheel to a BP?

Not that I know of. I know one person asked his td about doing it and was told he didn’t think it would fit without some modding but the movment is basically the same so I don’t think there would be any issue.

Personally I haven’t looked into doing it because all though Noob has a more accurate font, the spacing of letters on certain days are uneven and I know that would bug the shyt out of me.

Honestly the BP font isn’t that bad
b9f2960114add8f853bf7ab21f7b07d6.jpg

brokeassboi

Horology Curious
30/4/17
Not that I know of. I know one person asked his td about doing it and was told he didn’t think it would fit without some modding but the movment is basically the same so I don’t think there would be any issue.

Personally I haven’t looked into doing it because all though Noob has a more accurate font, the spacing of letters on certain days are uneven and I know that would bug the shyt out of me.

Honestly the BP font isn’t that bad
Yeah I've always thought that BP/Noob both use decorated A2836, but for some reason I've been seeing the noob DD40s advertised as an "Asia Clone 3255" which throws me off. If I could get my noob date wheel in a BP I would be one step closer to where I want to be but there are still a couple more problems.

Things get a bit more complicated for me since the only DD40 dial I'm interested in bringing to perfection is the white gold quadrant dial w/ roman numerals, and because of the ridges in the textured quadrant dial it makes the ROLEX/OYSTER PERPETUAL/DAY-DATE stamping/printing process far more difficult and look shitter/thinner compared to your usual flat DD40 dial. You'll basically never see it done right on any DD40 rep, BP came the closest but their little trick was to overcompensate the entire thickness of the font, so it looks good at a glance but honestly I don't think it will ever be done properly on a rep. My only guess is Rolex must stamp (or print) a standard flat dial first, then etch the textured ridges in and around the font. I actually have no clue how Rolex gets that perfect text on their textured DD40 dials, not just the platinum/wg quadrants but their other vertical ridge dials too, if anyone knows the process let me know I'm very curious.

Have you taken a close look at the EWF and its day wheel in particular? I know a lot of people give EWF shit around here but believe it or not when you look at some of their side by sides their accuracy to gen is impressive. Their day wheels have potential to be the best out there, most photos are semi low quality but still you can tell the font is on point. Its got a mix of perfect spacing and decent crisp font, its letter "A" is just slighly off but the rest of the letters are near perfection. If you ever need to figure out which factory a DD40 rep is just take a look at the "A" in "DAY". Pointy and narrow, and its a BP. If its got a long flat top, similar to gen, its a NOOB. If its got a medium length top on the A, its a EW.

It's the only reason holding me off on another BP tbh. It sounds crazy and picky but I'm trying to get as close to super rep levels with a DD40, something not many are interested in. The BP day font's "A" is such DEAD giveaway for me though, lacks the flat top that the gen "A" has, it is much more pointy and instantly catches my eye. It doesn't help that the "A" is in every single date-wheel option, no hiding it. Not only that, but the BP font in its entirety is far from gen, sure the spacing might be nice but its like comparing arial to times new roman.

jpPQCnM

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Yeah I've always thought that BP/Noob both use decorated A2836, but for some reason I've been seeing the noob DD40s advertised as an "Asia Clone 3255" which throws me off. If I could get my noob date wheel in a BP I would be one step closer to where I want to be but there are still a couple more problems.

Things get a bit more complicated for me since the only DD40 dial I'm interested in bringing to perfection is the white gold quadrant dial w/ roman numerals, and because of the ridges in the textured quadrant dial it makes the ROLEX/OYSTER PERPETUAL/DAY-DATE stamping/printing process far more difficult and look shitter/thinner compared to your usual flat DD40 dial. You'll basically never see it done right on any DD40 rep, BP came the closest but their little trick was to overcompensate the entire thickness of the font, so it looks good at a glance but honestly I don't think it will ever be done properly on a rep. My only guess is Rolex must stamp (or print) a standard flat dial first, then etch the textured ridges in and around the font. I actually have no clue how Rolex gets that perfect text on their textured DD40 dials, not just the platinum/wg quadrants but their other vertical ridge dials too, if anyone knows the process let me know I'm very curious.

Have you taken a close look at the EWF and its day wheel in particular? I know a lot of people give EWF shit around here but believe it or not when you look at some of their side by sides their accuracy to gen is impressive. Their day wheels have potential to be the best out there, most photos are semi low quality but still you can tell the font is on point. Its got a mix of perfect spacing and decent crisp font, its letter "A" is just slighly off but the rest of the letters are near perfection. If you ever need to figure out which factory a DD40 rep is just take a look at the "A" in "DAY". Pointy and narrow, and its a BP. If its got a long flat top, similar to gen, its a NOOB. If its got a medium length top on the A, its a EW.

It's the only reason holding me off on another BP tbh. It sounds crazy and picky but I'm trying to get as close to super rep levels with a DD40, something not many are interested in. The BP day font's "A" is such DEAD giveaway for me though, lacks the flat top that the gen "A" has, it is much more pointy and instantly catches my eye. It doesn't help that the "A" is in every single date-wheel option, no hiding it. Not only that, but the BP font in its entirety is far from gen, sure the spacing might be nice but its like comparing arial to times new roman.

jpPQCnM

I believe Rolex puts a very fine layer of clear enamel on the quadrant dial to flatten it out prior to printing. So the surface the letters are going on is flat avoiding printing in the ridges

Rippin6Gears

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/17
PNW
Read something on Reddit of the DD40 got a updated day wheel... anyone have any information on this or can confirm?

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
I've got the new GMF DD40, on order from Sead. I'll give you my impressions when I get it.

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
Well, I asked Sead for a recommendation and he said that the new GMFs were looking pretty good. Sead hasn't steered me wrong so far so and I know that GMF is the sister factory of BP so I figured I'd take a shot.

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Well, I asked Sead for a recommendation and he said that the new GMFs were looking pretty good. Sead hasn't steered me wrong so far so and I know that GMF is the sister factory of BP so I figured I'd take a shot.

Look forward to seeing these pics, just checking out the YG with silver dial on Trusty’s site