• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Set the time on the GMT II (CHS) A3186 movement

Rob.O

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/5/17
Just had a look on intime & they do indeed call it a V7

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
This is very helpful.

I have a CHS Explorer II, and when I first got it, I thought the watch is broken because I wasn't very familiar with the movement. So then I sent the watch for a service. The guy said there was nothing wrong with the watch; I just didn't know how to work it. If I found this post earlier, I could save some dollars.

Reactions: Watch-Out
D

d4m.test

I just purchased the Noob factory GMT II from a TD on this site. Setting the watch is a little complicated due to the custom A3186 / A3187 movement in the watch, so I thought I'd share my findings in a tutorial to help other members.

CROWN POSITIONS:

Position 0 = Crown screwed in
?
Position 1 = crown unscrewed.
?
Position 2 = hour hand adjust, resulting in the date changing when cycled 24 hours.
?
Position 3 (crown full out) = time adjust, including minute hand, hour hand, and GMT hand.

RULES / NOTES:
It seems the main rules to be aware of, are:
- Never adjust the hour/date hand in position 2, whilst GMT hand is between 10:00 - 02:20. This will break the movement apparently.
- Apparently never adjust any of the hands using a clockwise direction on the crown if possible (I found this impractical when setting the minute hand, and mine has not broken).
- I also noticed that moving my crown anti-clockwise changes the the time forwards, which seems to be the opposite to the gen, in which it would adjust the time forwards. So in short, the crown movement seems to adjust things backwards... A little bit strange, but none the less, something to be aware of.

SET THE WATCH IN 4 STEPS:
1. First, set the GMT hand to your time zone, to the nearest hour thats just passed.
2. Second, adjust the minute/hour hand to the actual time.
3. Third, adjust the hour hand.
4. Finally set the date.

STEP 1 - Set the GMT Hand

Always set the GMT hand to the hour that has just passed in your time zone. For example, if it's 05:15, then you would start out by calibrating it to 05:00. If it's 16:38, then you would set it for 16:00.
- First fully pull out the crown to position 3.
- Then adjust the crown anti-clockwise until the GMT hand is pointing to the correct hour on the bezel appropriate to where ever you are. Assuming the actual time is something like 16:38, then move the crown anti-clockwise until the GMT hand is pointing at the number 16 on the bezel or 08:00 on the dial, and the minute hand will be at 00:00 position (ignoring the hour hand for now).
- Push the crown back in to position 1.
- Done. The GMT hand is now set to your time zone.

STEP 2 - Set the minute hand
If you followed the instructions above, as per the example, you will need to wind the minute hand forwards now to the correct minute.
- First pull the crown all the way back out to position 3.
- Then move the crown anti-clockwise to the correct minute. In the example above, you would need to move it forward to 38 minutes (the GMT hand should also move forward slightly to co-ordinate).
- Push the crown back to position 1, and you're done.

STEP 3 - Set the hour hand
By now your GMT hand will be in the right place, and your minute hand will be correct too, so you just need to set the hour hand.
- First pull the crown all the way back out to position 3, then gently push it in with a very small click so it's at position 2.
- Then move the crown anti-clockwise until the hour hand is correct. In the example above this would be at 04 (for 16:38).
- Push the crown back in to position 1, and you're done.

STEP 4 - Set the date
By now your GMT, hour and minute hands will be in the right place, so now you just need to set the date right.
- First pull the crown all the way back out to position 3, then gently push it in a small click so it's at position 2.
- Then move the crown anti-clockwise in 24 hour cycles in order to increment the date forwards.
- Once the date is correct, make sure to keep turning the crown until the hour hand is back on the correct hour.
- Push the crown back in to position 1, and you're done.

Finally, screw the crown back in to position 0

For a better video explanation of how to set the (gen) GMT II, and to understand how to use it in different time zones, I found this video useful:

To understand the crown positions, I found this video useful:

Hope thats helpful.
Thanks!!!

silverfox47

Renowned Member
Certified
9/2/15
Cali
@jok3r83 Nice information. In what position do you wind? I picked up a TT GMT II with a A3186 and position 1 is wind, 2nd is clockwise date, counter GMT hour hand, 3rd is time set. I find with so the 4 position movement I have to play with it just a bit to get the stem all the way in. I think it's time for a service. lol. Anyway, nice work.

ht242424

14/4/18
Great tutorial! The movement messed up once, I had to sent it back for repair. Since then, I only set time with its minute hand.

cw1675

17/7/15
Thanks jok3r83. Your tutorial provided me the confidence to purchase the CHS. As long as one never adjusts the hour/date hand in position 2, while the GMT hand is between 10:00 - 02:20 is key. This watch is different from other replicas so practice is needed. Thanks again!! -cw1675

mouse

Known Member
12/4/16
But when it's between 10:00 - 02:20. Is it possible to manually change the gmt to like, 3pm. And then follow the whole process? I don't care that much about the GMT time..

Reactions: DENTIST

cw1675

17/7/15
But when it's between 10:00 - 02:20. Is it possible to manually change the gmt to like, 3pm. And then follow the whole process? I don't care that much about the GMT time..

Yes, you can manually change the GMT hand to another time outside of the 1000-2200. I usually move the GMT hand to 6:00 am/pm to be safe.

Reactions: mouse

Playlife

25/1/07
Hi,

trying to find the videos on Youtube but did not see anything there. Could anyone post the link? Would be great.

Thanks

Gen2Rep

Horology Curious
20/6/18
When you say don't adjust the quickset hour when GMT is between 10-2 does that mean the 12 he scale on the dial, or the 24hr scale on the bezel?

Reactions: BreitFlyer

BreitFlyer

9/6/16
Gen2Rep if it's anything like the Breitling which I have it will be based on the 12 hr dial. This is because it has something to do with damaging the gears. Not 100% sure but I've never heard of it being eelarel to the 24hr dial.

Et_haz

Horology Curious
7/11/18
The Netherlands
Hey guys and gals .is there a how to on getting here? I couldn't find it i'm sorry.

I mean a how to disassemble the watch to were you can actualy change the DW.

Thnx!

Vicar69

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
29/7/17
London, UK
So I think I’ve f**ked the GMT...saw this tutorial too late.
Request for help - Who in the UK could take a look at it?
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HelenBK27

27/6/18
UK
Thanks for this tutorial.
Iv'e just purchased from another member & this information will be invaluable to me.
Thanks again...

nothingelse

29/10/17
Thanks for this tutorial.
Iv'e just purchased from another member & this information will be invaluable to me.
Thanks again...

One thing is not so clear , and maybe the most important thing... can we use safely the second crown position to set the date or not? Tutorial said we can, several friends here don’t use the second crown position at all. I am a bit confused.

Sent from the RWI App

HelenBK27

27/6/18
UK
I'm getting a bit confused too! The watch I bought is actually an A3187 CHS.
Does this tutorial apply to only to the A3186 CHS or also to the A3187 CHS?
I'd be well pi***d off if I break it..