• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Set the time on the GMT II (CHS) A3186 movement

jok3r83

Horology Curious
11/10/15
I just purchased the Noob factory GMT II from a TD on this site. Setting the watch is a little complicated due to the custom A3186 / A3187 movement in the watch, so I thought I'd share my findings in a tutorial to help other members.

CROWN POSITIONS:

Position 0 = Crown screwed in
?
Position 1 = crown unscrewed.
?
Position 2 = hour hand adjust, resulting in the date changing when cycled 24 hours.
?
Position 3 (crown full out) = time adjust, including minute hand, hour hand, and GMT hand.

RULES / NOTES:
It seems the main rules to be aware of, are:
- Never adjust the hour/date hand in position 2, whilst GMT hand is between 10:00 - 02:20. This will break the movement apparently.
- Apparently never adjust any of the hands using a clockwise direction on the crown if possible (I found this impractical when setting the minute hand, and mine has not broken).
- I also noticed that moving my crown anti-clockwise changes the the time forwards, which seems to be the opposite to the gen, in which it would adjust the time forwards. So in short, the crown movement seems to adjust things backwards... A little bit strange, but none the less, something to be aware of.

SET THE WATCH IN 4 STEPS:
1. First, set the GMT hand to your time zone, to the nearest hour thats just passed.
2. Second, adjust the minute/hour hand to the actual time.
3. Third, adjust the hour hand.
4. Finally set the date.

STEP 1 - Set the GMT Hand

Always set the GMT hand to the hour that has just passed in your time zone. For example, if it's 05:15, then you would start out by calibrating it to 05:00. If it's 16:38, then you would set it for 16:00.
- First fully pull out the crown to position 3.
- Then adjust the crown anti-clockwise until the GMT hand is pointing to the correct hour on the bezel appropriate to where ever you are. Assuming the actual time is something like 16:38, then move the crown anti-clockwise until the GMT hand is pointing at the number 16 on the bezel or 08:00 on the dial, and the minute hand will be at 00:00 position (ignoring the hour hand for now).
- Push the crown back in to position 1.
- Done. The GMT hand is now set to your time zone.

STEP 2 - Set the minute hand
If you followed the instructions above, as per the example, you will need to wind the minute hand forwards now to the correct minute.
- First pull the crown all the way back out to position 3.
- Then move the crown anti-clockwise to the correct minute. In the example above, you would need to move it forward to 38 minutes (the GMT hand should also move forward slightly to co-ordinate).
- Push the crown back to position 1, and you're done.

STEP 3 - Set the hour hand
By now your GMT hand will be in the right place, and your minute hand will be correct too, so you just need to set the hour hand.
- First pull the crown all the way back out to position 3, then gently push it in with a very small click so it's at position 2.
- Then move the crown anti-clockwise until the hour hand is correct. In the example above this would be at 04 (for 16:38).
- Push the crown back in to position 1, and you're done.

STEP 4 - Set the date
By now your GMT, hour and minute hands will be in the right place, so now you just need to set the date right.
- First pull the crown all the way back out to position 3, then gently push it in a small click so it's at position 2.
- Then move the crown anti-clockwise in 24 hour cycles in order to increment the date forwards.
- Once the date is correct, make sure to keep turning the crown until the hour hand is back on the correct hour.
- Push the crown back in to position 1, and you're done.

Finally, screw the crown back in to position 0

For a better video explanation of how to set the (gen) GMT II, and to understand how to use it in different time zones, I found this video useful:

To understand the crown positions, I found this video useful:

Hope thats helpful.

Mister_GMT

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/17
I like the GMT II, i thank you for your tutorial. This really helps.

blade1997

21/10/16
I've got an Exp II on the way with the A3187 (I believe). This tutorial will be invaluable for me. Thank you very much for taking the time to put it together.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Great information you shared.
This should help to avoid any problems with these A/SA/SH 3186 & 3187 movements
Thank you

Reactions: augustomaiorino

Rob.O

1/5/17
Jok3r83 Thanks very much for this tutorial , i have just ordered a CHS GMT11 from a TD on here & this i hope gives me the best chance with this finicky movement . Cheers again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RM88

Horology Curious
2/6/17
Thanks for this tutorial. Had my GMT II for two months now. Keeps very good time and power reserve. Just adjusted the GMT hope all is good.

D

d4m.test

What is your thoughts on the new movement?

Should we stick with the ICHS for relibility?

Or it's a good bet?

Opinions from people who actually has them?

Rob.O

1/5/17
What is your thoughts on the new movement?

Should we stick with the ICHS for relibility?

Or it's a good bet?

Opinions from people who actually has them?
Had mine since mid August & so far its been excellent, keeps great time . I keep it on a winder so i don't need to adjust it to often as i don't think the power reserve is great , maybe 24 hrs but i love mine [emoji41][emoji41]
88e3ceaa132ab7f579d2d2aa0242d9ca.jpg

jok3r83

Horology Curious
11/10/15
I wear mine everyday. The movement keeps good time and is accurate in that sense. I would say battery reserve is around 36 hours.

I have had other problems with the movement however. For example when I go abroad and need to change the hour, something often goes wrong. I don't know what the problem is exactly, but after a few hours if wearing it I notice the hour hand is in completely the wrong place, and is not keeping time. It often takes a few additional adjustments to get it to start tracking correctly again. Quite annoying.

D

d4m.test

Had mine since mid August & so far its been excellent, keeps great time . I keep it on a winder so i don't need to adjust it to often as i don't think the power reserve is great , maybe 24 hrs but i love mine [emoji41][emoji41]

THanks @Rob.O. Looks good!

Which one have you purchased and from who by curiosity. Are you happy with the crystal and the insert? Since people are complaining about it being sloppy..

It stands strong again a gen?

D

d4m.test

I wear mine everyday. The movement keeps good time and is accurate in that sense. I would say battery reserve is around 36 hours.

I have had other problems with the movement however. For example when I go abroad and need to change the hour, something often goes wrong. I don't know what the problem is exactly, but after a few hours if wearing it I notice the hour hand is in completely the wrong place, and is not keeping time. It often takes a few additional adjustments to get it to start tracking correctly again. Quite annoying.

Pretty weird.

I saw a WHOLE tutorial about it and how you can actually break the movement if you set it when the hand is between 10:00 and 2:00 aparently..

Reactions: Rubiss

Rob.O

1/5/17
THanks @Rob.O. Looks good!

Which one have you purchased and from who by curiosity. Are you happy with the crystal and the insert? Since people are complaining about it being sloppy..

It stands strong again a gen?
It's certainly not sloppy mate , at the moment anyway . Got mine from Andrew at trustytime , its the noob chs version . I try not to adjust it clockwise as i have heard that can overstress the spring as well as altering it netween 10 & 2 , certainly seems to have had its issues but so far mine seems ok

Reactions: Vitor747
D

d4m.test

It's certainly not sloppy mate , at the moment anyway . Got mine from Andrew at trustytime , its the noob chs version . I try not to adjust it clockwise as i have heard that can overstress the spring as well as altering it netween 10 & 2 , certainly seems to have had its issues but so far mine seems ok

You mean Trusttime168?
I will send him a msg, ive been looking for a batman for so long but was never happy with crystal and insert.
Thats the V7? The SEL is also good?

Rob.O

1/5/17
You mean Trusttime168?
I will send him a msg, ive been looking for a batman for so long but was never happy with crystal and insert.
Thats the V7? The SEL is also good?
No Trusty Time mate , he is not a td on here but is over on Repgeek , i think he was a td here at one time but must have upset someone lol

D

d4m.test

No Trusty Time mate , he is not a td on here but is over on Repgeek , i think he was a td here at one time but must have upset someone lol

Ok I will check him out.

He sourced it for you and send tou QC pictures and all?

Its the V7 CHS Noob?

Rob.O

1/5/17
Ok I will check him out.

He sourced it for you and send tou QC pictures and all?

Its the V7 CHS Noob?
Yes he sent QC pics within 2 days . Has a great website , most of the td have them listed , about $418 dollars seems to be the going rate mate so i guess you could source one from your preferred seller .

Reactions: Palmtree1723

Rob.O

1/5/17
Yes he sent QC pics within 2 days . Has a great website , most of the td have them listed , about $418 dollars seems to be the going rate mate so i guess you could source one from your preferred seller .

Not sure of the version mate . Is the V7 noob not just the Submariner ?