• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Set the time on the GMT II (CHS) A3186 movement

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
I'm getting a bit confused too! The watch I bought is actually an A3187 CHS.
Does this tutorial apply to only to the A3186 CHS or also to the A3187 CHS?
I'd be well pi***d off if I break it..

You can use this tutorial also for the 3187. Same procedure as 3186.

nothingelse I would not recomend to use the second crown position for date setting.
The main problem is this "finger" for the independent hour time setting which can break.

Reactions: nothingelse

nothingelse

29/10/17
You can use this tutorial also for the 3187. Same procedure as 3186.

nothingelse I would not recomend to use the second crown position for date setting.
The main problem is this "finger" for the independent hour time setting which can break.

So you have to use only the third position, set Gmt hand then turn anti clockwise the crown , in third position, and go forward until you get the right hour and date. Am I right? Thanks.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
nothingelse Yes correct. Only use the position for time setting. I know it can be very annoying to make this, but it is much better for the movement.
When you read some older threads, this movement will break very often when you set time or date with the "hour" hand postion.
This is the weak point of this CHS (correct hand stack) movements for the GMT.

The best would be to build an hybrig from a SH3135 and put the needed parts of an 3186 into the SH3135 movement. But it is not cheap :-(
Another solution is to upgrade with GEN ETA parts and than to fix and freeze the unique GMT hand position. But his means than you cannot have another GMT time than the normal time.

Reactions: nothingelse

nothingelse

29/10/17
nothingelse Yes correct. Only use the position for time setting. I know it can be very annoying to make this, but it is much better for the movement.
When you read some older threads, this movement will break very often when you set time or date with the "hour" hand postion.
This is the weak point of this CHS (correct hand stack) movements for the GMT.

The best would be to build an hybrig from a SH3135 and put the needed parts of an 3186 into the SH3135 movement. But it is not cheap :-(
Another solution is to upgrade with GEN ETA parts and than to fix and freeze the unique GMT hand position. But his means than you cannot have another GMT time than the normal time.

Many thanks, very useful indeed.

Watching92

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/7/18
UK
Glad I didn't get this movement without checking first! Probably would of broken it first wind lol

jpferry315

16/9/18
Ewing, NJ
Thanks for the post. I have the Noob V9 with A3186. Like others I set it up to correct time, date, GMT. I have put the watch on a winder when not in use on 12 hour cycle so it gets a break. I have had the watch over a month with no issues. I did not wear the watch for over a week and when I checked the time it was 1 minute fast. I guess I was lucky as I set the hour hand clockwise but not in the danger zone of 10-2. I will follow the counter clockwise setting instructions if ever needed but think I will always keep it on the winder when not in use.

Reactions: Surftime

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
There's a nice dissection of this movement by our Italian member Harleysta91 here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...aster-ii-116710-chs-a2836gmtchs-di-augustochs

Looks like a good service and proper lubrication can extend the life cycle of this movement dramatically.

By the way, I have a few questions:
​​​
1. When it says do not adjust the hour hand while the GMT hand is between 10.00h and 02.20h. Are we are talking 24h time here, or does it mean 22h to 2'20?

2. That clockwise/anticlockwise stuff. So, if I understand properly, it means we should not even set the time moving it backwards on position 3? When I set my watches I move hands forward, to get rid of gear slack, but if by any chance I get past the desired time I move the minute hand back a little (say 20 minutes) and then reset. Are we allowed to do that or does it put a tremendous stress on the movement? Should we just give another full hour turn and then move the hour hand back 1h?

3. I heard several times that it's not recommended to move the hour hand backwards. Is that correct? How do you set the time if you are travelling to a zone with "minus GMT" time, then?

I have just ordered a watch winder, as I assume I should not be resetting this fella many times (especially to keep the date set), so hopefully it will last some time.

Surftime

Known Member
15/10/17
SEACOAST
Thanks for pointing us to that article! Can anyone translate it into English?? Please :)

Also, great questions! I follow all the setting “rules” and I love it. I have worn it almost everyday since received- 52days straight. (Even over my super
Frankens!) So far it has been running great over the last past 4wks. It loses approx 1-2s/day so I wind it once a week and let it sit overnight and it gains approx +5-6s /24hrs when sitting crown up. This allows the time to catch back up over 1-2 nights.

Looking forward to the answers to your questions!

And please let us fellow RWI members know how you like yours!

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Thanks for pointing us to that article! Can anyone translate it into English?? Please :)

Also, great questions! I follow all the setting “rules” and I love it. I have worn it almost everyday since received- 52days straight. (Even over my super
Frankens!) So far it has been running great over the last past 4wks. It loses approx 1-2s/day so I wind it once a week and let it sit overnight and it gains approx +5-6s /24hrs when sitting crown up. This allows the time to catch back up over 1-2 nights.

Looking forward to the answers to your questions!

And please let us fellow RWI members know how you like yours!

Thanks! I just used Google translate and it does a decent job.

Reactions: Surftime

charity7

6/12/16
Should Have read this article before! My GMT BLNR with 2x ar from Prof stem fell out! Watch works but cannot put the stem back in and wont do it! If I find someone in florida to have it fixed I will, If not I guess is time to let go :(

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Should Have read this article before! My GMT BLNR with 2x ar from Prof stem fell out! Watch works but cannot put the stem back in and wont do it! If I find someone in florida to have it fixed I will, If not I guess is time to let go :(

Sorry to hear that mate, but I'm not sure your problem is related to this, actually. Google "reset keyless works", as I'd say that's what happened. Good luck!

Vitor747

14/1/19
Puerto Rico
I'm getting a bit confused too! The watch I bought is actually an A3187 CHS.
Does this tutorial apply to only to the A3186 CHS or also to the A3187 CHS?
I'd be well pi***d off if I break it..

It applies to 3187 CHS too...
I have a Noob V9 BLNR CHS
Got it 1 month ago... no issues as long as you follow the tutorial....
Just dont move the hour hand by itself unless you absolutely have to.... if you set correct local and gmt time there is no need to move the hourhand by itself anymore... just use it in position 3 to adjust time and date....
It takes forever to change the date but it is the safest way
Either that or wear it all the time or use a winder

Sent from the RWI App

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Just dont move the hour hand by itself unless you absolutely have to.... if you set correct local and gmt time there is no need to move the hourhand by itself anymore... just use it in position 3 to adjust time and date...

Well, unless you want to use the feature that gives the watch his name, lol.

Reactions: RiffRalf

Vitor747

14/1/19
Puerto Rico
Well, unless you want to use the feature that gives the watch his name, lol.

Well......
I have a Gen 16710
I do not use the hour hand ever when I travel and I travel alot
You can leave your home time in the main hour hand always....
Your GMT hand can be used for gmt (obviously) and you can also move the bezel to set local time using your gmt hand.... (+\- gmt according to your current time zone)

So you can track 2 time zones simultaneously always and the option of a third one if you move the bezel

Cheers

Sent from the RWI App

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well......
I have a Gen 16710
I do not use the hour hand ever when I travel and I travel alot
You can leave your home time in the main hour hand always....
Your GMT hand can be used for gmt (obviously) and you can also move the bezel to set local time using your gmt hand.... (+\- gmt according to your current time zone)

So you can track 2 time zones simultaneously always and the option of a third one if you move the bezel

Cheers

Sent from the RWI App

This assumes you are not in a location that uses Daylight Savings Time (real PITA). If you are, and that's almost all of the US, the hour hand needs to be changed twice a year to stay properly synced to GMT.

Vitor747

14/1/19
Puerto Rico
This assumes you are not in a location that uses Daylight Savings Time (real PITA). If you are, and that's almost all of the US, the hour hand needs to be changed twice a year to stay properly synced to GMT.

True
We dont use DST in Puerto Rico
But we are still USA territory
So yeah yo do need to change it a couple of times a year
But if you do it twice a year ande GMt hand is not between 10 and 2 you “shouldnt” have a problem

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
True
We dont use DST in Puerto Rico
But we are still USA territory
So yeah yo do need to change it a couple of times a year
But if you do it twice a year ande GMt hand is not between 10 and 2 you “shouldnt” have a problem

Sent from the RWI App

Thanks for the update! When you say 10 to 2, do you mean the GMT hand between the 10 and 2 markers on the dial, or between the numbers 10 and 2 on the bezel?