• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob ceramic insert with platinum plating

Spongebob

8/9/10
As a sub rookie, I bought my first V6 sub no date last year. At that time, I was satisfied with the quality and wore it often. With a great opportunity, I’ve compared with gen hulk, I’ve found out most parts of this rep are good, but there are still many defects which can get some better works. The most obvious one I noticed is the color of numbers on the ceramic insert. The index digital color on gen is metal luster, but rep is too dark, moreover, the rep’s index digital’s surface is very rough compared to gen. Another tell is that the sharp edge on rep index, the edge on gen is chamfered and it looks very stereoscopic. So I was thinking about the way to get these better, after researching, I’ve found some experts who is able to mod index by liquid painting, but the edge is still too sharp not round. Last December, a bright idea occurred in my mind, why not try to do a REAL WORK which is plating platinum on the insert? Then here is my result.....

I collect some noob v7 inserts to test my idea. The plating material is 99.99% platinum and it would be coated on top of my inserts. After a few experiments, I got the best result. Some photos are taken to present as followings. As you can see, here are gen, my work and without modded insert (stock) under different light condition for comparison.

Gen Hulk say hi to everybody.
DSC_2634_zpsfhzn7zvo.jpg

Comparison between gen, modded and V7 insert under sunlight

Modded insert on the top.
sunlight1_zpsloxfozqb.jpg

Gen / my modded insert / V7 stock insert.
1_zpsh2om4czd.jpg

Comparing to these 3 inserts, the index color on stock V7 insert is more grayish and it is a known issue that it is getting darker after several weeks usage. My work - platinum plated one is closed to gen (see the mark "50" and "20").

Since I don't have rep hulk, I put this green insert onto my sub no date, this index works for me except the dark green color lol......

DSC_2665_zpsxnulxrir.jpg

Comparison under different light condition

These photos were taken under different light condition, the color is closed to gen after my platinum modification.

Under fluorescent light:
DSC_2631_zpsexir78xh.jpg

Under yellow light:
IMAG6335_zpsjlun4wmc.jpg

Both of color on the insert scale are closed to each other whichever different light was applied.

Marco view after mod
2_zpszqiizvru.jpg

Before plating, the surface inside the groove is rough (more grain can be observed, please see the V7 stock). The platinum coated index looks much more smoothly and might even more better than gen? Will double confirm that.

Edge smoothing mod
3_zps9kfpzygt.jpg

During the mod process, I realized that the Noob ceramic is able to be machined, so some abrasive was applied to chamfer the edge. The smoothing test was tested on my rep GMT master II inserts and the result is brilliant. (the index color on this smoothed insert is incorrect, please ignore it.)

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
Very nice work.
This could be the way to go, then no one would have to spend 1000s on gen inserts.

happy2017

3/1/17
The difference in hue or the texture is a non issue for me.
The disappearing of the bezel markers in poorly lighted conditions is what disappoints me.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
This is the best thing I've ever seen But how much does this service cost.because if you do that plat plating to the v7 hulk insert and the ln inserts that will pretty much no need to go gen on inserts

Spongebob

8/9/10
Very nice work.
This could be the way to go, then no one would have to spend 1000s on gen inserts.

This will never replace gen insert, the color is still a tell if you put gen and rep together for comparison.

Spongebob

8/9/10
This is the best thing I've ever seen. Shame your v7 hulk insert is the dark v6s version. But how much does this service cost.because if you do that plat plating to the correct v7 hulk insert amd the ln inserts that will pretty much no need to go gen on inserts

Yea, the color of my insert is not as good as V7 one, is it possible to source the v7 light green insert?

Spongebob

8/9/10
The difference in hue or the texture is a non issue for me.
The disappearing of the bezel markers in poorly lighted conditions is what disappoints me.

Hey bro, what do you mean "The disappearing of the bezel markers in poorly lighted conditions is what disappoints me."

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
This will never replace gen insert, the color is still a tell if you put gen and rep together for comparison.

Where are you based and how much do you charge? I'm sure if you offer this mod you will be busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elfuque

Known Member
6/1/17
Hey bro, what do you mean "The disappearing of the bezel markers in poorly lighted conditions is what disappoints me."

I think he means that the stock noob v7 bezel looks the worst in low light conditions

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
how are you doing the platinum plating ?

vapor displacement ?

GWT#1

Renowned Member
1/4/12
Where the bluegrass sways!
I would pay for this service..........but when I checked on the platinum powder prices everywhere I found it, it was crazy expensive!!!
If I remember correct like $1800.00 gram! I will try find the links! These were 3 micron powders but could get different grinds.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
it looks great !