• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Your Rollie (or other) DOA from dealer with A2824/2836

lukko

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
20/11/12
Italy
Have many of you guys received your Rolex rep with eta 2824/2836 clone DOA ??

I have read that many of you have called unreliable this movement only for this stupid reason, saying that the SA3135 is better than ETA. (Oh, jesus christ when i read this affirmation i was hoping it was just a bad dream)

However, we come to us and to this problem.

Because many times your watch with 2824/2836 arrives DOA?

The answer is travel, and more precisely the impact that the package undergoes on the way to your home.

What happen inside the movement?

The problem that i have always found it is always the same: the escape wheel that goes out of sync with the other wheel and the pallet.

Have you always send back the watch to your dealer?

No, this may not be necessary if you have a good dexterity with your hands

I do this for so brief and effective guide to saving your DOA arrived watch with an easy fix :)

I tested this thing on more than 20/30 watches, and they have always worked fine and without problem then.

They were completely dead, not working if it were loaded manually and also not working if they were shaken.

You must start by opening the caseback of your watch with a special tool or a ball opener.

When you opened the caseback find the two black screws self wind module. Remove the two screws, the rotor, and then self wind bridge.

Then see the escape wheel

With a tweezer end (very very very very very gently move slightly the wheel escapement to the two directions of rotation of the wheel.

IMPORTANT: move very gently and without force because if you do it stronger you will surely break wheel, or escape wheel or the pallet. So I would recommend that please NOT try this guide to those who have not dexterity with this type of thing and with his hands.

The movement starts already so many times, but if nothing happens you can try to move the hairspring

That's simple and that's all :)

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Im gonna sticky this asap when im behind a pc mate. Great write up and thanks a bunch! @lukko

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
I wouldn't tear into the escapement right away if your watch is DOA on arrival..... check some other things first because taking off the entire train bridge and messing with the escape wheel is a recipe for disaster for a noob.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Gently nudging the escape wheel works very often with 6497s as well. You just have to be very very very careful with your hands as lukko said.
Good post!

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
My V7 2836 was DOA due to a loose screw inside that stops the movement.

lukko

Supporter
Certified
20/11/12
Italy
I wouldn't tear into the escapement right away if your watch is DOA on arrival..... check some other things first because taking off the entire train bridge and messing with the escape wheel is a recipe for disaster for a noob.

As i said, i advised all rwi noob users to avoid if they are noobs, and i repeated to be very careful at your own risk. I have restarted 20/30 watches with 2824/2836 arrived DOA and them now works perfectly.

The success of this work depends on whether you know what you're doing and if you know check the accuracy of your hands/fingers. If a user has never touched a movement, please avoid all this guide

Gently nudging the escape wheel works very often with 6497s as well. You just have to be very very very careful with your hands as lukko said.
Good post!

Yep my friend, we underline "gently" :)

Wow - great article. Thank you

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Thanks, but be careful if you do this :)

D

d4m.test

Thank You lukko, this is a wonderful and very well done tutorial :thumbsup:

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
Thanks, this worked a treat for me with a watch that has sat for months untouched

db1561

Known Member
9/2/17
As i said, i advised all rwi noob users to avoid if they are noobs, and i repeated to be very careful at your own risk. I have restarted 20/30 watches with 2824/2836 arrived DOA and them now works perfectly.

The success of this work depends on whether you know what you're doing and if you know check the accuracy of your hands/fingers. If a user has never touched a movement, please avoid all this guide

Yep my friend, we underline "gently" :)

Thanks, but be careful if you do this :)

How can you lose the NOOB status unless you start tearing into it and learning? I love these tutorials and everyone should have enough common sense to realize that there is risk but like I said you will never learn until you try! Hell I have learned more from mistakes then when things go smooth!

P.S. Nice guide, if I ever receive a DOA I will have an option!

ThePadd

Known Member
1/4/16
Okay the pictures are toast, but the idea is sound. HOWEVER, DO NOT TOUCH THE HAIRSPRING, IT IS EXPREMELY DELICATE AND YOU WILL DAMAGE IT!!! I have found that if you wind the watch fully, then swivel it in your hands first clockwise, then anticlockwise a few times quickly, it can also give the balance wheel just enough swing to make it flick the pallet fork. After that you are up and rolling!

TnoJ24

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/7/17
Hope we'd get to see reuploaded pics, this sounds like a very good guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk