• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Tulip Crown" 5512 Submariner Project

dbane883

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/12
Hi guys.

For many reasons, this project is a special one.
The 5512 “tulip crown†gilt dials was made in very small quantities and is most commonly seen with 1961 serial codes. The dial has an elegant beauty in it’s simplicity and the unique coronet really sets it apart from other early 5512 submariners. I felt this would be an ideal complement to the other builds in my relatively small collection.

I started out with a Phong PCG 5512 mid case which I re-profiled to have more pronounced bevels, re-brushed the satin lug tops, straightened the case side flanks and slightly reworked the crown guards. Phong has a tendency to over polish his cases even if you request no aging.

The “look†I was going for here was a case that still had a reasonably thick case, crisp bevels but appear like it was only gently worn periodically over the past 5 decades. There are several examples of cases and dials of this era that appear almost NOS, but perhaps uncharacteristic of me, I felt a slightly more aggressive aging would be appropriate for this one. However, I still wanted the case to appear “unpolishedâ€.

Crown and tube is NOS genuine 7000 and 700-0 twin locks (the tube was unusually difficult to find). Bezel, retaining ring, and ghost “kissing 40†insert are also genuine. I still need to find a tension spring.

The hands are period-correct “flat†submariner hands that are surprisingly tough to find (the cost of which reflects their scarcity!).

The chapter ring dial, well, is from he-who-cannot-be-mentioned and in my unbiased opinion, one of the best dials he’s ever made. I slightly aged the lume patina but I will probably enhance it a touch as I will need to open the case up again to remove some pesky dust specs (so annoying).

Movement is a genuine 1530 that was sitting pretty lonely in the parts bin.

Caseback is a genuine/original 5512 that was most likely from a mid-70’s era sub given there is no date stamp. Dome is a CWP T19.

The intent of this watch is to be a daily “beater†as I am trying to wear my big crown, 5513 PCG, and my 5513 mf less frequently.

Here are some pics of the final build.

Complete with a genuine 7206 rivet bracelet:

What I really like about this dial, is that there is a lovely tropicalness to it that is difficult to capture. Here on a Bulang & Sons strap:

Comparison. Gen 1962 PCG 5513 case on botton, Phong PCG 5512 on top:

Group shot of the Submariner vertical:

This build is a bittersweet one for me. Because of other commitments this will probably be my last personal rep build.

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
Awesome!!

I can't help but notice, is the tip of the hour hand closer to the dial than at the CP? Or is that just my imagination/distortion of the crystal?

a watch is meant to be worn

dbane883

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/12
Awesome!!

I can't help but notice, is the tip of the hour hand closer to the dial than at the CP? Or is that just my imagination/distortion of the crystal?

Yeah. Just distortion from the dome. The hour hand is fairly parallel to the dial.
124d0bc5b06348837496593d5951ab80.jpg

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
Fantastic! Your skill is simply beyond words [emoji106] [emoji106]

tom_cat

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/13
What a lovely looking watch, it just a piece of art. That group shot is like a pile of cocaine, just damn!

steve3sc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/6/15
What?
..... I was in other room but i thought i heard somebody say "cocaine"......

(Waits silently for 2 minutes......)

@ dbane........

Well, anyway, your watch is truly breathtaking. Just discovered this thread by chance just now, and it knocked my socks off. Amazing. Bookmarked and the whole 9.

One quick question......
I was wondering if the orientation of the end-pieces was on purpose, or just an effect of their size/shape relative to the case shape? Not asking to be critical or nit-picky, I really like the way it looks, and I've seen a lot of vintage Rolexes where the end-pieces are left loose and kinda rattle around with extra play relative to the curve of the case and lugs, and others, like your's, where tthe end pieces have been closed down past the plane of the top of the midcase. I, myself, have done both over the years with different watches.
I have always wondered if there was a reason to leave the end pieces more open or clamped down closer around the springbars. Unless the loose-ness caused rubbing and damage to the case, lugs, or end-pieces, I suppose it would be personal taste to use one method or the other? Opinions?

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
Personally I'd go with something like this, but that's just me

c75deb82a677b21361f2f7ba04bb5854.jpg