• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help with hands and stem for ETA 2483 in my 7016

drohalloran

25/11/14
Hey there, I"m looking for hands for my 2483 movement (as well as a stem) and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience sourcing either of those parts on the after market. I'm ok to age the hands myself, but I don't know enough about this movement.

Any insight would be awesome! Thanks guys!
-Sean

drohalloran

25/11/14
Hey Matt, not sure? I never found hands that work hahahah the project is still languishing

drohalloran

25/11/14
Hahahah thanks!! This has been a literal 5 year build. I have virtually everything gen at this point, short of the stupid hands. It will be the ultimate reward in patience when I finish it

TonyBevilsizer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/5/18
Curious. I’m doing the same build. Where’d you find hands?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Never found them!

Hi buddy ...
I just stumbled on your old 7016 thread and wonder if you ever found that handset.

If NOT you could check wholesaleoutlet on eBay or Tiger Concept website ... I'm pretty certain you can get a decent 7016 handset for ETA 2824-2 from them.

1 - Hours and minutes hands will be a direct fit as ETA 2824-2 and ETA 2451 (base caliber for Tudor 2483) share the same specs ... H : 1.50 / M : 0.90

2 - Fitting the seconds hand will be tricker but doable ...
2824-2 seconds hand tube is 0.25mm and 2451 seconds hand tube is 0.21mmm so you can suqeeze the tube of a 2824-2 seconds hand until it fits a 0.21mm pinion
Method 1 :
Source a 0.21mm smoothing broach (better than a cutting broach for that process)
Insert the broach in the tube and slightly (really slightly) press the tube with tweezers ... that should do the job.
Method 2 :
Use a quality fine pin vice ... Ensure all 4 tips on the pin vice close evenly and carefully place the tube of the second hand in it.
Do it up until the jaws of the pin vice are just touching the tube but putting no pressure on it. Then do it up 2 or 3 degrees tighter.
Take it out and check the fit of the hand, if still loose repeat.
Important :
Be very careful because if you go too far you may spit the tube, or at the very least will need to then broach out the tube, and then you will need a set of very fine cutting broaches
You are seeking just enough friction to fit the hand on the pinion fixed, as excess pressure is an invitation to damage the pinion, or jewel at the other end of pinion
I use method 1 as it's easy to leave the end section of the tube wide so to facilitate entery of the seconds pivot into the tube and just tighten the mid- section of the tube or farther close to the hand.
I never used method 2 but I read people did it with success.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Another method I've used with success to fit a slightly larger seconds hand tube to a pinion is put a tiny drop of blue loctite into the tube. I let it harden a little so it doesn't run, then set the hand. Adjust the hand to level if needed and let it set.

I've used this method on tiny chrono hands too. I have not ever had to remove them again so I can't comment on that aspect of this approach. But the blue Loctite bond is meant to be able to broken if needed.

drohalloran

25/11/14
I have to tell you how bizarrely timely your reply is. I've been working on this build for almost 10 years (on and off) and I haven't really touched it since I posted this. Literally last night I pulled this out of work bench and I'm determined to finish it. I've had to more or less ditch the idea of the 2483, the search of hands became too much. So I'm looking now at a 2824 option. Likely I will try the "vintage" hands that out there on ebay, but I'm going to have to probably relume/delume to match the dial (which is fine).

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
There's a couple of other vintage etas that are 21.6K beat- 2783 and 2789 and both take the standard 150/90/25 hands. You can pick these up on the bay- check out vintage watches like Oris, Nivada, Benrus, marvin, Titus Edox, Enicar, Octo, Roamer, Titoni, Zodiac. Of course then you need to get the movement serviced, but for a couple of hundred dollars you've got a good movement with a correct beat.

Reactions: KJ2020

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Just thought of something else- Seiko hands are 150/90/20. They have the mercedes hands and it would be easier enlarging a .20 to a .21.

drohalloran

25/11/14
So what's interesting I had a 1957 Airking build that had been languishing for ages, and I took a chance on a Felsa 1560 movement that had these really nice, almost perfect sword/dauphine hands that and it all fit. I'm going to try to find something similar for the 7016 I think, the bastard is still going to be the hands, because they're 1.50 x 0.90 x 0.20mm but the height seemed almost perfect in that vietnam case