• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watchmaker9's TT SUB

mickyblues2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/2/07
Im about to lay out $530 for a 2007 'Z' TT Sub w/ Blue Face from WatchMaker9. He is claiming he is using real 18k solid gold on mid links! Wrapped on bezel and crown. Same dimensions as the stainless steel model, which he is claiming is a 1:1. Looks real nice. To the watch experts here, do you think it's worth it?

It seems after reading Watchers review of his sub hhe received from George over at Watchmaker9 that his new 'Z' subs are on a different level than the ones offered by the dealers in these forums, even though some additional mods are needed.

pit36bus

Known Member
22/10/07
which dial color are you going to get? blue , black, serti? black is my favorite

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
mickyblues2 said:
Im about to lay out $530 for a 2007 'Z' TT Sub w/ Blue Face from WatchMaker9. He is claiming he is using real 18k solid gold on mid links! Wrapped on bezel and crown. Same dimensions as the stainless steel model, which he is claiming is a 1:1. Looks real nice. To the watch experts here, do you think it's worth it?

It seems after reading Watchers review of his sub hhe received from George over at Watchmaker9 that his new 'Z' subs are on a different level than the ones offered by the dealers in these forums, even though some additional mods are needed.

Mickey - I just received my WM9 TT Sub today. Because I intend to do a detailed post with pictures it will take a while before I finish the review of this watch. Would I spend $530.00 for this watch? - MAYBE - That depends on what you are looking for. I will say this - It Is by far the best Two Tone Sub I have purchased ( and I have purchased every Two Tone out there). Is it perfect? No way... Is it close? Absolutely...

Pluses - Crown has been moved up and is very close to being in center of case (hard to tell difference from Gen)
Rehaut is identical to Gen
Best 18k plating I have seen
Bezel is built like Gen and looks to be very very close in all dimensions
Excellent dial
Cyclops has correct magnification
Date numbers are correct shape, centered perfect in date window and date wheel is correct color
Good Crystal height & shape
Best bracelet I have seen (fit & finish/large Gen style pins)
Three piece solid end links with correct solid gold center piece

Negatives - Cr@ppy pearl (good insert though)
Crown is not defined like Gen (sharp edges) and uses old style crown tube (not Gen style crown & tube like the new WM9 16610)
Sides of bracelet are not polished like Gen
Crown Guards are a little on the thick side
Lazer etched coronet is a little too visible (should not be able to see with the naked eye)
Rep style weak lume

What this watch will need -
Re-press crystal and align date mag and lazer etched coronet (it is a little off)
Thin bezel insert to give crystal a little more height and replace pearl
Thin Crown Guards
Replace Crown & tube with Gen
Polish side of bracelet
Re-Lume watch

I will try and post some pictures by the end of the weekend. I have already replaced the pearl & thinned the bezel insert. The only other thing I am going to do before I post the pictures is polish the sides of the bracelet.

Stand by.......................

D

d4m.test

$530 is very very good price for the wm9 TT 1:1 if it's as good as the SS version which is now $655.99. The TT model is supposed to be $779.99. So $530 is a good deal, also considering a MBW/MBK TT is ~$480. wm9 Z serial so called 1:1 is a better sub than the MBW/MBK sub, no doubt.

-bk

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
trektagger said:
Jake48 have you been able to take pictures of the TT sub?

I made a new post in this section a while back with the pictures titled : WM9 Two Tone Review - The future is here!!!!!!!

Here is the post

First - This has been a four year quest - and it is just about over! About four years ago I found Reps and decided I would be buy a Two Tone Submariner - I would be forever happy with my Rolex Replica and that would be it. Little did I know I would embark on a quest for the "Perfect Two Tone" that would take me four years, several thousand dollars (I quit counting once I got past $10,000.00) and the purchase of many Reps I never dreamed would be produced...

Is the WM9 TT the "Perfect Two Tone"? - So far... In my quest for the ultimate TT I have spent at least twenty five hundred dollars, but always came up short. I found that every - and I do mean EVERY - Two Tone made has MAJOR flaws. The bottom line is that no matter how much modding you do to any of the "good" Two Tones out there you would always end up with something that looked "OK" If you ended up in the same room with someone else who was wearing a genuine TT sub it really could be quite embarrassing - you didn't have to be a WIS to tell the Replica was not quite right, in fact, they all were very easy to spot - and forget about ever taking the watch off your wrist.

This brings me to the WM9 Two Tone Sub. Right off the bat I will tell you this is the best Two Tone made and NOBODY even comes close - not even remotely!!!!! Is it worth the crazy price Wm9 asks - maybe...
First let me give you a quick run down on the watch:

Pluses - Crown has been moved up and is very close to being in center of case (hard to tell difference from Gen)
Rehaut is identical to Gen
Best 18k plating I have seen -unbelievable!
Bezel is built like Gen and looks to be very very close in all dimensions
Excellent dial
Cyclops has correct magnification and is placed in correct position (away from right edge of dial)
Date numbers are correct shape, centered perfect in date window and date wheel is correct color
Good Crystal height & shape
Best bracelet I have seen (fit & finish/large Gen style pins)
Three piece solid end links with correct solid gold center piece

Negatives - Cr@ppy pearl (good insert though)
Crown is not defined like Gen (sharp edges) and uses old style crown tube (not Gen style crown & tube like the new WM9 16610)
Sides of bracelet are not polished like Gen
Crown Guards are a little on the thick side
Bezel insert should snap in like Gen, but the bezel ID is a little oversized which required some glue to attach the insert
Lazer etched coronet is a little too visible (should not be able to see with the naked eye)
Rep style weak lume

What this watch will need -
Re-press crystal and align date mag and lazer etched corronet (it is a little off)
Thin bezel insert to give crystal a little more height and replace pearl
Thin Crown Guards
Replace Crown & tube with Gen
Polish side of bracelet
Re-Lume watch

Trust me, if you know Rolex Subs and Two Tones you will know that some of the "pluses" I have listed are not easy to come by and in most cases are impossible to find on anything other than a Gen. What I can't describe to you, or show you in pictures, is the quality and feel. This really is another one of the new "Super Reps" that have been coming out lately. The bezel clicks smooth and easy and feels and sounds just like a Genuine. The crown turns smooth and effortlessly just like a Gen. The bracelet fit to the case is the best I have seen and it is a joy to detach the bracelet. It comes off easily and goes back on just as easy - no more bent or tweeked Rep bracelet pins because the lug holes were drilled off center. The 18k plating is outstanding and when I inspected the watch with a 10x loupe I found no unplated areas that seem to be common in Rep plating. The plating was thorough and complete, even in areas on the inside of the bracelet links were it seems the Rep builders seem to "forget" to plate. I also noticed when I put a polish to the bezel, very little if hardly any black residue came off on the rag - a good sign that more real gold was used than brass, which has always been an issue with so called "18k" plating.

Now - about the price... WM9 claims the TT will sell for $779.00 and gives a pre-order price of $529.00. Would I pay $779.00 - probably not. Would I pay $529.00 - you better believe it!

Those that want to bank on the fact that at some time this same watch will come out for a better price can wait. Realistically, I don't see a watch of this quality going for much less than $400.00 and it will probably be little more. Truthfully, I see no need for any of our trusted dealers to come out with this case anytime soon as this new case (with the Genuine style Bezel construction) will render all their parts inventories obsolete.

With the very few mods I have listed, you could easily hand this watch to someone and they would believe it is a Genuine 16613. If you wanted to go over the top - add a solid gold bezel (about $300.00) and Solid gold bracelet (about $2,000.00) and you would have a $7,000.00 watch that cost you around $3,000.00.

Now for some photos:
Gen style bezel construction
tt0.jpg

Notice lazer etched coronet off center
tt1.jpg

tt2.jpg

tt3.jpg

tt4.jpg

I have replaced pearl & thinned Bezel insert
tt5.jpg

tt6.jpg

tt7.jpg

Sides of bracelet have been polished
tt8.jpg

TW Best for comparison
tw10.jpg

jkwhyd

30/5/07
Very nice looking watch. However, IMHO the crown guards are definitely a give away - too thick. I would agree that with a little work, it can be dead on.

For the life of me, I don't understand why nobody can make the CGs look right.

Question, it is advertised as water resistant to 200 meters, do you think that it is remotely close to that?

More than looks, I think QC is more important. It would be a good deal if the QC comes as close to a $200 Seiko.

jk

trektagger

22/3/06
Thanks Jake, I didnt see your review at first since I found this post thru the search feature and I didnt tie them together. Thanks for the pictures. I have decided that the next one I'm buying is the TT sub so this is extremely helpful.

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
drfcfighter said:
wait, so, WM9 is George right?

Half right...

The owner of WM9 goes by "George", but that is not to be confused with the George of MBW fame.

They are two different people...

kevin300z

30/3/06
If you search his forums, there's a guy who has pics of his sub and he's diving with it at a pretty deep depth so he tested it.

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

125ft dive in Cayman.

jkwhyd said:
Very nice looking watch. However, IMHO the crown guards are definitely a give away - too thick. I would agree that with a little work, it can be dead on.

For the life of me, I don't understand why nobody can make the CGs look right.

Question, it is advertised as water resistant to 200 meters, do you think that it is remotely close to that?

More than looks, I think QC is more important. It would be a good deal if the QC comes as close to a $200 Seiko.

jk

trektagger

22/3/06
mickyblues2, did u buy the TT SUB? I plan on doing the same but Im curious if you were able to get it since it says they are sold out. Thanks