• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Decision between Classic SD 16600 or SD4000 116600

svaikata

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/6/14
Hi all

This hobby is giving me slight headaches sometimes. I’m facing a big dilemma between two great watches…

As a 21 y/o student in the Netherlands with a small job besides my study, I have a limited amount of money. I wish to afford both watches (and since TC is releasing great stuff, even more), but for now I have to make these choices. Note that I don’t try to swing a rolex between my classmates as a gen, but I like to have it as a gen :)

Like you all, I have a passion for watches. Dive watches in particular. After seeing the 116600 (or SD4K in short) in an AD’s window, I fell in love with the SD model. A tool watch that wasn’t as chunky as the DSSD, lacked the subs cyclops, had the HeV, etc. etc.
Via the SD4K, I discovered the earlier model, the classic SD, that caught my attention. Having it seen a few times more, this watch got my interest. It was slimmer then the 116600, less busy on the bezel, lacked that shiny bling of the ceramic bezel, and was in my eyes more classy.

So I decided to give the BP SD a shot. My plan was to get it modified a little, to ensure it was reliable and looked as a gen. But before going into mods, I wanted to wear it first to see how it would fit my wrist.
I ordered one at sead and received it without a hassle. However, after wearing it for a few days, it started showing signs of moisture on the xtal, indicating it was not WR at all… I have put the watch in a moisture absorbing container for a few days, greased the rings, but again the problem occurred.
With the lack of funds to continue with mods, I decided to sell my BPSD and wait for the V2 116600 version to be released.

Eventually, the 116600 V2 was released and I expanded my budget a bit with a holiday job, so now I can swing a few more bucks around :)

Now I’m here and looking at both great watches. One is new, one is classic. Both in person are beautiful, but my taste is kind of going towards the classic SD. It’s like 49 against 51 for the classic SD...

The only thing what makes this decisions so hard is the price. For the classic SD I am willing to spend around 800 USD, while the cheaper SD4K is out of the box ready, for just 360… The quality factor (WR, accuracy, reliability) is the major factor that holds this decision still standing. I think that owning the fully modded BP SD with WR and a workhorse ETA will last me longer then a Noob SD4K v2 with an asian clone. Either way, spending a bit less and receiving an out of the box SD is tempting as well.

What are your opinions?

tienbang

19/5/15
I think as far as cost is concerned, what makes you happy with the watch? Will spending the additional money modifying your BPSD make you that much happier than going with the SD4000? If it's going to make you say "well I spent all this money but it still isn't up to my own standards" then I'd think twice about going with the BPSD.

Personally, I have a BPSD in my possession and have started to accumulate parts for a franken build. The one thing that's killing my morale is the fact that I can't find a reasonably priced (e.g. less than $800 USD) gen dial. Call me crazy but if I ever find that gen dial along with adding a gen crown and insert and either an ETA or Yuki 3135, I'd be a happy man. Of course I'll be out a good amount of money for a rep but it'd be a rep worth having IMO.

benjji

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/13
I think as far as cost is concerned, what makes you happy with the watch? Will spending the additional money modifying your BPSD make you that much happier than going with the SD4000? If it's going to make you say "well I spent all this money but it still isn't up to my own standards" then I'd think twice about going with the BPSD.

Personally, I have a BPSD in my possession and have started to accumulate parts for a franken build. The one thing that's killing my morale is the fact that I can't find a reasonably priced (e.g. less than $800 USD) gen dial. Call me crazy but if I ever find that gen dial along with adding a gen crown and insert and either an ETA or Yuki 3135, I'd be a happy man. Of course I'll be out a good amount of money for a rep but it'd be a rep worth having IMO.

+100000 :punk:

svaikata : if you want a franken with some gen parts, go with bpsd.. if you dont want a franken but just base rep, go with sd4000

o9sKCtD_zps9c41b48c.jpg

ok3_zpstjkspvc2.jpg

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Older model is easier to franken (mod). Barely to find any 116600 parts.
+ older models are classier and better looking IMO.

tienbang

19/5/15
FYI there's a 16660 gen dial for a great price right now on ebay

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

svaikata

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/6/14
Thanks for the replies.

I made my decision and went for the 116600! I'll save up more and will go for the classic SD later ;)

McQueen5512Hunter

Horology Curious
30/7/14
Out of all the newer edition Rolexes, the new Sea Dweller is my favorite. That being said, I prefer the classic models by far. There's just a classic and refined aesthetic that I think was lost when the Ceramics started replacing them. But that's just my thoughts. I hope you enjoy your SD4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champagne iH

4/1/14
This thread has helped me make some decisions too. Thanks for putting the thread up with helpful comments.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I have both.

I prefer the classic model.

I don't like the rep ceramic bezel. The pearl is shit.

adb7b377660b4b8fc2fef17b120601c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk