• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The OFFICIAL RWI YACHTMASTER CLUB

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
KohLCS.jpeg

tomriddle

25/6/07
To my fellow Yachtmaster club members..

question: WHICH DIAL FACE DO YOU THINK IS BETTER?

DIAL 1

DIAL 2

so part of the reason I'm asking this is the newer one (I shouldn't have to say which is newer.. you should honestly know) is more.. flat? the dial looks smoother I guess in real life.. the older one has more texture and more grain to it which I like

I've never held a real YM so I cannot compare but in terms of dials.. ignoring the shiney-ness of the newer ym model.. it confounds me how the dial of the old one to my eyes is so much "better". Curious as to all your thoughts

...which dial face do you prefer?

tomriddle

25/6/07
nevermind.. found my response..

I guess te rep "is as close to gen" as possible

lol

bottom line: it's intentional.. Rolex changed the dial-face and actually took away the coarseness/texture you see and made it smoother.. I was googling for a bit before posting and one of my hits was an article explaining their love for the 16622

Now, looking for a pre-owned Rolex Yacht-Master isn’t particularly difficult. I wanted an early model, at least pre-2007, as that’s the year when Rolex changed the dial a little bit. The platinum dial lost that coarse grain and became a bit smoother. I love to see that platinum grain in the summer.

so basically, the 16622 specifically have that grainy coarse textured dial :) as we love it.. wow.. talk about having a quick history lesson

no wonder the replica 16622 at this point in time is a real genuine "collector's item" :eek: in simpler terms, "they don't make them like they used to"

992TurboS

Supporter
Certified
27/8/21
EU
To my fellow Yachtmaster club members..

question: WHICH DIAL FACE DO YOU THINK IS BETTER?

DIAL 1

DIAL 2

so part of the reason I'm asking this is the newer one (I shouldn't have to say which is newer.. you should honestly know) is more.. flat? the dial looks smoother I guess in real life.. the older one has more texture and more grain to it which I like

I've never held a real YM so I cannot compare but in terms of dials.. ignoring the shiney-ness of the newer ym model.. it confounds me how the dial of the old one to my eyes is so much "better". Curious as to all your thoughts

...which dial face do you prefer?
Does any factory make decent reps of these anymore? I saw bp does them but the dial look redish

Reactions: tomriddle

StarLord_ve

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/6/20
Hi everyone!
Looking to buy a nice bezel insert for my 116622.
Can some yacht master lover help me? :)
Thanks guys!

tomriddle

25/6/07
Is this TC or BP? I used to own the gen then had a BP. Such a classy watch.
neither.. it is a WM9 :) a really, really old one

but what makes this watch even more special to me (besides it being my father's watch because I gave it to him as a gift)

is that it has genuine swiss eta movement :) no not a mod.. but back then they sold watches with real swiss movement which probably why to this day it beats like a champ

and yes, i've had this watch serviced only once in 15+ years and my watchsmith did confirm it was swiss movement

Reactions: Yacht-Monster