• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q's Top Secret BPSD Reference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
First off, I'd like to thank all of you who contributed to the epic thread on the BPSD (BP Factory Sea-Dweller)

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=141721

This thread is the most replied and viewed thread of all time in the Rolex Section. Since it is so large, to help interested members, I gathered the most informative posts and placed theme here. If I missed any that you think belong in this thread, PM me and I will copy them here. :)

BPSD - Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 - BP Factory
DSC02085.jpg

This is the best 16600 that has ever been repped. Is it 1:1? No it isn't. But with a few mods, it is a Super Rep.
Some have decided to leave it stock and enjoy it un-modded. Many have decided to bring it closer to the Gen

Let's look at the parts:

Dial

INSERT DIAL PIC HERE

The BP Factory is known for having poor QC in their assembly process. Many reps were delivered with miss-aligned dial markers. This can be fixed by repositioning them to line up. The dial font and wording is so close to Gen that many have left their BP dial alone. The lume glows like a torch! Many have swapped it out for a TC SD Dial.

Hands

Insert Hands Pic Here

The factory hands are known to be the wrong color. The look green/gray in the daytime and do not match the white dial markers. The lume at night matches however. Your choice to fix this is to install TC Hands or re-lume them.

Bezel

Insert Bezel Pic Here

The stock bezel tends to turn a bit too loose as compared to the Gen. R2D4 figured out how to correct this by replacing the BP click spring with a Gen spec one from WM.
Pearl

Insert Pearl Pic Here

The BP pearl is awesome! It does not need a thing. The lume matches the dial and hand lume perfectly.

Insert

Insert Insert Pic Here

The numbers are so close to gen it is not worth touching.

Crown/Tube

Insert Crown Picture

The BP crown and tube work great. The threads engage and can be watertight. The BP crown has too many teeth (26) and the Gen has 25. There is a notable difference visually. You need a Gen spec tube installed if you change your crown to Gen. Read below for R2D4's advice on this.

Case/Lugs

Insert Case/Lugs Pic Here

The finish is very nice on these. The crown guard shape is a huge improvment compared to the previous Super Lumed version.

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Mine just arrived, so here are a couple of quick photos.

Very nice watch, the SEL is not bad on this one but think I will go for a TC bracelet, crown guard looks good as well.

BP-SD_zpsa4bae3a6.jpg

The pearl on this is very nice, have a look at the photo below which shows it compared to a gen insert in my TC Sub.

bp-sd_2_zpsf40fb939.jpg

Excuse the crappy iPhone pics, will take some better ones when I get a chance.

rols16610

20/4/12
Managed to take a few more photos, slightly better than the last iPhone ones.

BP1_zps9e28d86d.jpg

SEL fit is pretty decent, the bracelet is a 93250 model, which I think is incorrect for this watch, you could replace it with the TC version, although not 100 percent needed.

bp2_zpsa7c0c624.jpg

The dial on this is very nice, as is the pearl, it looks really good and almost as good as a gen insert, I reckon you would only notice the difference side by side as in my photo in the earlier post.

bp3_zps0c676ee9.jpg

Case back looks pretty good.

bp4_zps914d89b8.jpg

bp5_zpsd6f70b97.jpg

Crown and crown guards look good as well.

bp6_zps7e5d16ab.jpg

Crystal looks decent.

bp7_zps41b227f1.jpg

bp8_zps67506aec.jpg

Finally a lume shot taken on the iPhone, lume is really excellent.

bp9_zpsd1984345.jpg

Overall I would say this is a great out of the box rep as the other guys have mentioned :cheers:

rols16610

20/4/12
Couple of observations after wearing this for a while.

Plus points

1. Pearl is really good and looks almost gen.
2. Crystal is very good, been comparing to photos of the gen looks excellent.
3. Bezel clicks nicely, feels similar to my TC sub, not as tight though.
4. Dial and hands are very good, lume is excellent.
5. SEL fit on bracelet is very good.

Minus points.

1. Bracelet build quality is not the best, comparing to my TC Sub V3 bracelet.

Conclusion

This is a great out of the box rep, probably the best OTB Rolex that I have purchased since my TC sub, quality of watch case is really nice.

I have ordered a TC bracelet for mine, I think this will be the only thing that I will change on the watch, no mods needed really.

Very impressed with the BP SD, it really is a great watch, here's another photo :cheers:

SD_zps6f6a7a41.jpg

rols16610

20/4/12
Thanks for the pic and info. What about date wheel. Font looks nice but slightly off centre, to the left side.

Is it noticeable IRL?

It is not noticeable on the wrist, but it looks like it is slightly to the left, some photos below.

dw_1_zpsa713f2e3.jpg

dw_2_zps59d7846b.jpg

dw_3_zps47a28497.jpg

dw_4_zps12fd5d06.jpg

As you can see from the photos it is more noticeable on the 10 + and 20+ numbers, but i didn't notice it whilst wearing it, only when I took the photos it was more apparent.

rols16610

20/4/12
Here are a couple of shots of the movement, what do you guys reckon, is it Swiss or a clone version ?

1_zpsadfc20a5.jpg

2_zps0802f440.jpg

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
So.. the date aperture window looks very close to gen. Here's gen.

dawow_zps688c8047.jpg

Another really nice feature that it seems no one pays attention to, is the chamfering of the lug lines that run along the top outer surface of the lugs. I don't think the TC case has any of this. This BPSD does. Here's a gen so you can compare-

chamfwow_zpsebb4d6c3.jpg

I'm pretty interested in trying the new asian 25j @ $168 shipped. I thought about going clone since the watch looks so promising, but both the asian and swiss ETA options are in that 3135 façade, which i'd prefer not to have (extra chances for debris, assembly issue, etc.).

Look how nice this new 25j looks-

mvmt_zps80d12cce.jpg

I'm still tossing up between this or the BP TT black sub.. Same price/movement. I got one of the blue TT BP's for my father and I was seriously impressed. Has a regular clone ETA w/out rlx markings.

agfa421

Known Member
29/11/11
yes, that's the one

but I got some bad (or good) news: TC bracelet does not directly fit the updated case, it is too tight. the combo is now with my watchsmith who will sand the end links slightly down. he had worked for Rolex AD and told me that gen bracelets also need sanding, that's the reason why Rolex has that tight SEL fit.
Further he explained that not every AD is allowed to get bracelets from Rolex, only the ones who have trained watchsmiths. Because of the sanding required the gen watch has to be handed over in order to buy a replacement bracelet.
summing up: the combo is gen-like but needs some work.

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
Rep points for Ebzen for starting this thread, excellent find! :thumbsup:

Here's a gen SD "K" series photo, the BP factory SD build looks very close to this.

RolexSDK-series01.jpg

RolexSDK-series02.jpg

rols16610

20/4/12
This watch is a definite keeper for me.

Planned mods for mine.

1. TC SD bracelet
2. TC SD hands
3. TC crown and tube
4. Get datewheel aligned

I worked out a rough cost for all of this, including getting the work done by a modder will be around $450 including the watch, I got the swiss version so it was a little more expensive.

Comparing what I have into my TC sub of $750, which includes a gen insert. the SD with a few mods seems like a great deal.

And that is me being really picky after reading all the posts in this thread, I reckon once all those mods are done I will have an SD that is as nice as my TC sub in terms of look an feel.

rols16610

20/4/12
That sounds like a plan. Will be an amazing watch. Get it water proof while you are at it!

Tell me why the tc crown? Can't recall we found anything wrong yet with the stock crown.

The crown doesn't look as good as the TC one, will try and take some photos of the two when I get a chance.

I think the 703 crown, which is the TC one is the correct one for this watch?

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
can anyone shed any light on water proofing the crown seal with silicone grease and how one would do this ?

Shay, silicone the tube seal with a small oiler. The gen has triple crown seals as do some reps. One inside the tube, one on the outside and one inside the crown that seals to the tube.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Does not seem as solid as the Noob SSD was. But, I could be wrong.
Bezel turn is a bit loose
hands suck
crown screw in is a bit rough
it caused me to grow excessive arm hair
date flips over at 11:49

The case is good, not too sharp edges.

I have not unwrapped the bracelet yet. I will take a few pics as is later.
IMAG0621.jpg

rols16610

20/4/12
haters-gonna-hate.gif

It is the best SD rep to date. Nothing else could be modded to look Gen. Period.

Realistically, all that's needed is bracelet, hands and crown. The rep dial can be fixed if any markers are not centered. These issues do not take this out of super rep category. IMO

Totally agree, the dial looks very good to be honest and really doesn't need to be replaced. The hands are good but the lume does not match the dial so they either need relumed or swapped for a TC or another set, the crown also needs replaced, going for a TC one on mine, plus a new bracelet.

Once that is done I reckon it will be a very good rep.

rols16610

20/4/12
I am not sure what is the correct crown for the SD. Is it the same as the sub? I tried searching (sea-dweller+crown+specs, 16600+crown+specs, etc.......)

And......?

Been looking everywhere for this, cant find any info all I can find is it is the triplock crown.

So I presume it would be the same as the 16610 which is 7mm, which would mean a TC one would be a good swap.

According to Bonesey's Wiki on the SD it is a triplock version.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/rolex-seadweller-and-123805

Anyone else confirm this?

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
It should be the same as 16610. Triplock are 7mm.

Sent from my Bezel using 116610

Status
Not open for further replies.