• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Visible Ticks

mobitz ii

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/06
When people say that the way to tell a rep from a gen is that the rolex 'ticks' are they referring to quartz or 21k movements? I have a 28k swiss rep and it really sweeps nicely. Does a gen rollie actually sweep even more smoothly?

ken1

18/3/07
i think they should be about the same, but there's bound to be differences since the rep and gen are two different movements. and when people do say that, they mean quartz.

therebel

Renowned Member
10/1/07
People saying this are usually referring to the terrible reps of old or just have no clue what they are talking about.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
I saw a thread that said the gen Rolex is noticably smoother, even though the beat rate is the same. Again, how many people in the world can truly notice that?

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
an we are more anal about than they are anal about...

quartz has noticeable visible jump of second hand..

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
actually.... the second hand on a gen Rolex is fairly smoother than the ETA... I don't know about a serviced and properly oiled ETA though...

The Rolex Submariner and SeaDweller use the Rolex Caliber 3135... it's an in house movement made by Rolex....

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
it has nothing to do with the company that produces the movement. I read somewhere a while back that hte escapement allow the Rolexes to have a smoother sweep... but that might just be conjecture of Rolex owners trying to make their movemetns sound better (they are very good)

dieselpower

6/8/06
Has anyone ever seen a genuine auto non-quartz Rolex that jumps? I have. So there, ya boo sucks to you. Credit to anyone who can tell us what it was.

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
dieselpower said:
Has anyone ever seen a genuine auto non-quartz Rolex that jumps? I have. So there, ya boo sucks to you. Credit to anyone who can tell us what it was.

I thought I was going to be smart w/ my Oysterquartz reference, but I reread the non-quartz again :(

The modern Rolex's do have a smoother sweep b/c of the escapement; however unless the person is a real Rolex WIS they probably wont notice the difference between it and your 28k.

Now the vintage Rolex models, they did have a noticeably slower beat rate; probably equal to something like what we would know as 21k or 25k.

dieselpower

6/8/06
Let me clarify, I am talking about a mechanical automatic movement where the second hand jumps from second to second, just like a modern quartz.

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
You wouldn't be referring to this beauty would you :)

going2.jpg

dieselpower

6/8/06
Humble apologies and credit to e36wchmstr for correctly identifying the Tru-beat.

I was shown one many years ago by a watch dealer friend and I did not recognise it from the photo you posted. My error sorry :oops:

Anyway 10/10 top of the class and a gold star to you :D

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
Haha, I was looking everywhere for something other than that. Figured it was unique enough you would know if it was it or not. But yes, very neat vintage piece.