• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Submariner

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
CHApZhZ.gif

ROLEX SUBMARINER

~History~

The birth of the Submariner (early models) by Debellum

First Submariners. The Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner went into production in 1953. It was first introduced to the public in the Swiss Watch Fair of 1954 (Ref. 6204 and 6205). It feature a rotating bezel with 5 minute markers, and ushered in a new look for Rolex. In 1954, the distinctive "Mercedes" hands were added to all Submariners. The Submariner look, later adopted by the Rolex GMT Master and Rolex Yatchmaster is one that everyone associates with Rolex. The basic Submariner design is so popular it has become the basis for almost all the divers watches in the world. The Submariner was built for diving. The early Submariners had water resistance ratings of 180 meters (Ref. 62xx). There is some doubt as to whether these early Submariners met their stated ratings.

In 1955, after just two years in production the first Submariner models were replaced by the Ref. 6536 (Small Crown) and 6538 (Large Crown) Submariners, with water resistance ratings of 100 and 200 meters, respectively. The watches featured Rolex's Cal. 1030 movements with improved rotors which could wind the watch rotating while in either direction. The Ref. 6536 and 6538 were later certified as chronometers. The Ref. 6536 was renamed 6536-1 while the 6538 retained its number. In 1958 the Ref. 6536-1 and 6538 were replaced with the Ref. 5508 and 5510 with the same water resistance ratings as their predecessors.

The birth of the modern Submariner. In 1959 Rolex released the Ref. 5512. Submariner and in 1962 released the Ref. 5513 submariner. Both submariners now sported the big crown and had "shoulders" to protect the crown. The difference in reference numbers was that the Ref. 5512 was certified as a chronometer while the Ref. 5513 was not. These watches both had water resistance rating of 200 meters. Unlike the early Submariners, the Ref. 5512 and 5513 had long production lives. The 5512 remained in production for nearly twenty years, until 1978, while the 5513 stayed in production till 1990.

The modern Submariner. In 1989, Rolex released the Ref. 16610 Submariner Date and Ref. 14060 Submariner, which was the first Submariners with movements which generated 28,800 vibrations per hour (vph). Movements in previous models produced 21,600 vph. Notably only the Ref. 16610 Submariners are certified by the COSC as chronometers. The non-date Ref. 14060 are not.

~Movements~

Rolex WIKI page - All the basics

Please see the above link for information on the current movements found in Submariner replicas.

DG2813
DG4813
Asian Clone 2836-2
Asian Superclone 2836-2
ETA 2836-2
SW220 (Sellita)
A3135
SA3135

~Designations~

Several of the Rolex Submariners have designations after their names which relate to the colour of the bezel. These are listed below;

LN - Lunette Noir - Black Bezel
LV - Lunette Verte - Green Bezel
LB - Lunette Bleue - Blue Bezel

Standard Submariners 1977 to 2012

~16800~

Circa 1979 Rolex upped the ante on the date diver with the introduction of the 16800. For the first time Rolex had a diver with a high beat 3xxx movement, quick-set date feature, and a uni-directional ratcheting bezel. Of course the 16800 debuted the sapphire crystal in the diver community increasing the depth rating to 300M. Also known as the "transitional" early versione of the 16800 had a lovely matte tritium dial devoid of white gold surrounds. Latter as Rolex moved to the gloss dials with WGs the 16800 incorporated this change around 1985.

Some feel the 16800 represents the best of both worlds as it displays (in the early versions) the lovely matte dial with the scratch resistance of sapphire and accuracy of the 3xxx movement.

The official bracelet combinations for the 16800;

93150 Bracelet - 501B Hollow End links
93250 Bracelet - Solid End Links

Mix 16800/16610 by Pismo

Starting the first 16800 project in RWI (I think) by mclarendude

16800/0 case set found? by mitchbarria

factory 16800/0 case, OEM specs,predrilled lugholes by mitchbaria

16800 Submariner on a budget by southcoast68

vxdFudg.jpg

~168000~

In the late 80s (circa 1988) Rolex made the next leap in the diver line with the introduction of the reference 168000. This was the first diver to feature 904 stainless as opposed to the 316 used previously. Many feel this was the shortest run diver of all (perhaps 10 months or so) as the reference 16610s 3135 movement was not yet ready for introduction.

Rolex simply boxed the 16800s 3035 movement in the 16610s case and there you are. Many of these examples carry 16800 paperwork for those fortunate enough to find an example with all the bits.

Most 168000's would be seen with a glossy dial with white gold surrounds; a dial which - like the 16800 which also had glossy dial variants - could develop the so called "spider web" effect due to a fault in the paint mixture used back then, causing small spider web looking cracks in the surface of the dial. Naturally, the matte dials did not have that issue.

The official bracelet combinations for the 168000;

93150 Bracelet - 501B/593 Hollow End links

168000 Just Arrived (Picture Heavy) by Dukes

Rolex 16800/168000: a fun project. by Stephane

Rolex 168000 'Transitional' Submariner by Sconehead

QXB7psz.jpg

~16610~

There are so many different variations on the 16610 that I cannot possibly collate all that information in one place. What I will do is attempt to break down this sub-section into the most commonly referenced Submariners that we deal with in the replica trade. These can cost anywhere from $60 all the way up to high priced franken pieces costing in excess of $1000.

Model information and characteristics:

Is waterproof to a maximum depth of 300 metres/1000 ft.

Has the Triplock system, featuring a triple gasket system, is identified by three dots on the crown which screws down tightly onto the case tube and against the Oyster case providing another layer of protection.

Has a case made from a solid block of 904L stainless steel or gold. 904L steel is a corrosion-resistant stainless steel alloy. Rolex makes its gold in its own foundry where it can create new alloys and control the quality of the gold.

As a true diving watch, the Submariner utilizes a unidirectional bezel that enables the diver to memorize and follow immersion time. Since the bezel only rotates counterclockwise, the dive time can only become "shorter" in case of accidental bezel movement, thus avoiding the danger of spending too much time underwater.

As of 2007, and more particularly, with the "Z" serial number series, there are no holograms on the casebacks.

More recent models of the Submariner (late 2008) have a distinctive "ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX" and serial number engraved on the "inner bezel" known more correctly as the "Rehaut" (French) or "Flange"(English).

The official bracelet combinations for the 16610;

93150 Bracelet - 501B/593 Hollow End links

Jer6Y7W.jpg

- Noobfactory 16610 -

As is the case with most of the replica industry there is almost never a concrete answer to any question. The Noobmariner or Noobfactory submariner has become the staple of the forums over the years for a cheap introduction to the 16610 and 16610 LV. Usually supplied with 21j movements these can be had for under $150 shipped and provide excellent quality for the price point. For the sake of a few simple mods these can be made to look very good indeed.

ZESSc2I.jpg

Noobmariner/Nymphomariner History by ebzen02 (External link to RWG.bz)

What is Noob Factory..? by Ryanwayer

Finished pics of modded noobmariner by skiffcool

Review of Noob-mariner 16610 Black from Narikaa..Updated with TW Clasp and Insert by justlounging

Rolex 16610LV Mark 6 & 16600 M Series..Updated Pics.. by justlounging

TC 16610 vs. Modded Noobmariner by pjsayer

Best Submariner for $150 by o1314

Noobmariner Mod - Gen Style Crystal by rsh

HOW TO: A VERY VERY simple and quick Pearl Mod for Noob Sub by justlounging

- TC 16610 -

TC is a low volume, high quality (and cost) creator of what is getting close to being the best Submariner replica available. TC has a supporting vendor slot on RWI TC watch parts and also an Independant TC Blogspot.

This watch is getting as close to 1:1 as you can expect. It will take genuine parts including a genuine 3135 movement. This case set is also known as the WM9 V4 due to it coming from the same factory source as the original WM9 watches sold by BKLM1234.

This watch is now up to V5 with upgrades from TC that take this to the next level. A gen spec pearl and insert, upgraded bracelet and clasp, new TC clone 2824 with V3 datewheel overlay.

How to Be Period-Correct with your Sterile TC Sub by Arcadia

Can't find a TC Sub v5 review... please help? by ratpatrolteam01

Issues have also arisen with the crown/stem and winding the movement.

TC sub and winding issue... by SherrifWho

uvKKgfV.jpg

*Photo credit - LHOOQ*

The All-Rep Modded Sub 16610 by arcadia

TC Sub and Gen Y-series by arcadia

TC Sub With DWO V2 (Photos) by rols16610

TC & BK Sub Review by rollout

TC and gen 3135 by misiekped

TC VS BK? by turbo350z

Modded TC w/ Glide-Lock from How's Hot Mods by mitchbaria

Are TC Subs water resistant OOB? by emmdeevee

TC Sub and Gen Y-series by Arcadia

Unboxing a TC ROLEX Submariner v5 + Caddell Insert by dextergolf

- TC 16610 Caddell Submariners-

This is probably the culmination of a few years hard work to produce the perfect replica submariner. TC has just released the Caddell Submariners. These are lightly customised versions of his current V5 submariner with subtle modifications like a negative colour datewheel overlay, crystals without cyclops, Yachtmaster red seconds hand, and combinations of the above.

Caddell Submariners (TC blog spot)

dWMqKyN.jpg

*Picture credit TC*

TC.caddell version.just arrived by Mike.116

- Sean 16610 -

Sean (ETAswiss.net) is another low volume, high quality supplier. Some would argue that TC's case set is of better accuracy due to needing very little modding and that the crownguards are especially accurate.

ECF0QzB.jpg

*Picture credit Fidhle007*

Franken Sean's Case Rolex Submariner LV Flat Four F-Series

TC or Sean case for a Franken 16610? by DC109

Rolex Submariner LV Mark-1 Franken Project by dpark1234

New Submariner 1:1 Case Set by FatMatt

SA3135 Installed! by Fidhle007

- BKLM TW16610 -

The TW Best version sold by BKLM in his section (BK's Repertorium) is technically known as the WM9 V1 case set. In BK's own words;

"This is a gen style 16610 sub, i.e. it has gen construction, allowing it to accept gen crystal and gen bezel assembly. It can also take gen or aftermarket tube without re-drilling and re-tapping the crown hole.

It is basically the same case set as the wm9 v1 sub. I'd like to just call it TW sub or TW 16610. TW stands for Taiwan. That's where the case set is made. The watch is assembled by me and my partner, not by the factory.
"

Cp2ML1Q.jpg

*Picture credit BKLM1234*

BK TW 16610 Sub Mod Questions by Rollout

General My new bk sub franken pics by tonyammine

TC & BK Sub Review by rollout

BK TW Sub incoming by canuck2k

- BK16610 Sub (TC/TW parts) -

This is a custom build piece by BKLM using both TC and other aftermarket parts. You can find more details of the watch under BKLM1234's section, or by following this link;

Product Offering: BK 16610 Sub by bklm1234

BK is known for exceptional attention to details as well as a rock solid QC process. His claims for this piece are as follows;

- assemble every watch myself
- put in my own custom DWO
- put in fixed up crystals from the TW sub factory and Clark. Both the TW crystal and Clark crystal often have crooked cyclops. I pop and re-glue the cyclop the best my eyes can tell. BTW, I reserve the freedom to use either the TW stock crystal or Clark crystal.
- put in TW sub insert with pearl modded with epoxy coat
- put in genuine Swiss ETA 2824-2 H4 (high cannon pin)

There has however been a little controversy over at least a few of the mid case crownguards as noted in this 20+ page thread. It's a slightly misleading title as it is also discussing the TC mid case it should be using.

Opinions Please, TC's new cg's by mitchbaria

Just In: BKLM's TC 16610 pictures by doublenickle

- BKLM WM9 16610 -

The original WM9 models are no longer carried or available. They were supplied to the forum members through BKLM1234 who built/modified and QC'd them prior to sale. There were three versions, V1 (aka TW16610) is still available from BKLM1234 (BK's Repertorium). V2 was built using an undersize ETA 2678 movement with a large spacer ring. Version 3 was produced using ETA 2836 movements.

These are now only available through member to member sales.

For BK's explanation on why he stopped selling the original versions please read this thread; Here's what happened to wm9

8hdxEJa.jpg

*Picture credit BEYER8888*

Review of the ROLEX WM9 Submariner, the "Super Sub" by By-Tor

WM9 rolex is it worth the extra money? by nicole

A few observations about the WM9 subs by rsh

[Review] Rolex Submariner Z-series (BK/WM9 v3 vs Gen) by unregistered

TC Sub v4 vs WM9 v3 by wilazn

My new wm9 Lv by jonnylang

WM9 V2 Sub - My First Rolex!!! by b16a2

my new submariner WM9 v2 lot of pictures by MEYER8888

REVIEW - WM9 V2 Submariner by MEYER8888

~16610 LV~

G2EvSEy.jpg

Rolex Submariner 16610LV (Lunette Vert) - The 'true' anniversary Submariner

The original green Submariner (aka 16610LV) was introduced in 2003 as part of Rolex 50 years anniversary of the Rolex Submariner, and underwent many minor changes in the last 7 years (2003-2010). This means that this model Only had a life time of 7 years, much less than that of most regular Rolex models.

The first models were issued on a 'Y' serial in September 2003 with very early 'F's following in October/December hence only a narrow band of watches exist as true anniversary models. The earliest serial I have come across is Y94XXXX with papers dated 26/09/2003, however there was some speculation that it could have been a regular 16610 with changed dial. Given there were no accompanying images of the model ref; and/or s/n between the lugs I have my doubts over it too. I can confirm however a watch with s/n Y96XXXX to be correct thereby giving a ballpark reference as to when the first watches hit AD's. It is the opinion of some that there were a very small batch of watches released on a 'Y' serial that utilised the last of the lug hole cases, however I am yet to see one in the flesh, for sale or even an image of one for that matter. If they do in fact exist then they are a even greater rarity than the early lug hole versions that followed.

- Noobfactory 16610 LV -

As per the above discussion on the Noobfactory 16610 LN this is the LV variation. Comes with a 21j DG2813 movement (or similar variation) as standard.

X70KzrE.jpg

Basic set of Noobmariner mods using commonly available tools Sneed12

Noob LV by kgomez1992

Noob Rolex Sub LV - 21j - Pics! by Naylor07

Fitting Clark to Noobmariner LV by schaffhausen

- TC 16610 LV-

a9X5Zjt.jpg

Similar to the discussion in the TC 16610 sub-section above this is TC's LV version of his Submariner. This project would never have gotten off the ground if it wasn't for member Pamluver80 persuading TC to look into this as a project to develop and bring to the forums. If anything it is probably just as successful as the standard 16610 offering.

TC Submariner photos by Jean-Francois

TC 16610LV Submariner Type I by MC21

TC's LV insert vs. GEN LN insert quick macros..... by Pamluver80

TC 16610LV Franken Done by Pam007

"The Official TC 16610LV Thread" (Post em if you got one) by eVojlib

TC LV Type II vs. Gen Sub by Pamluver80

TC LV Type II..instagoodness! by Pamluver80

My TC LV - finally back together by tats

TC 16610LV Vintage !! by Pam007

- BKLM TW16610 LV -

This is a hybrid piece based off the standard TW16610 that BK currently offers in his Repertorium. BK supplies this watch with a superlume WM9 LV dial and hand set although he doesn't advertise this piece.

faBJX7p.jpg

*Picture credit DarthAlex*

Review: BK TW Submariner with WM9 LV dial and insert (Subasaurus LV) by DarthAlex

- BKLM WM9 16610 LV-

Gd4Y6OK.jpg

Please help me build my LV! by Jamdot

Rolex Sub - 16610LV - wm9/BK V3 - Pictures by Tmax

My new wm9 Lv by jonnylang

WM9 LV first pics... by sconehead

The tale of two LV's, WM9 BK v3 vs. TC LV by sixers_610

- Rolex LV Insert -

As with other Rolex models there is a huge amount of variation in parts, especially the bezel, and bezel colouring. The LV is not an exception to the rule and same as there is changes in Rolex genuine parts there is also changes in the replica parts as well.

The 8 dial types of rolex submariner LV green (gen) by ologoff

Rolex Are you geek enough to verify this gen LV insert's serial number? by jtx0512

Best Bezel Insert for LV Sub? by gasdoc

Most accurate 16610LV bezel insert by garyss

Gen green sub insert vs Clark? by indianajones23

~16613~

The 16613 is probably one of the most sought after Rolex reps due to the amazing starburst finish on the blue dial. This watch again comes in various qualities, from cheap 21j variations up to MBK and WM9 versions. Bracelets come in two variations as well. 14k wrapped bracelets offer the best wear protection, but the 18k plated versions are decent enough as well.

As with the other subs I have broken it down into the main players for this, which in this case is Noob + others, WM9 and MBK / MBW variants.

The official bracelet combinations for the 16613;

93153 Bracelet - 501B/593 Hollow End links
93253 Bracelet - Solid End Links

ke88kZS.jpg

wNbleIE.jpg

My new 16613 with Serti dial by CL65captain

TT blue dial 16613 by jas0npsd

ROLEX ? Submariner 16613 - Two-Tone "Blue Index" by Spirit

Is this an actual Noob 16613 from Perfect Clones? by warrcraft

Review of ROLEX 16613 two-tone Submariner "Noob factory" by By-Tor

Pictorial Review: Sead's Classic TT Blue / Gold Sub (16613 LB) by flyinmysoup

- WM9 16613 -

Just as with the other WM9 subs, these are no longer available direct from source. Originally modded and distributed through BK's Repertorium they are only now available via member to member deals. These were originally available back in 2010 in very limited numbers with 14k wrapped bracelets. If you have the time you can read through the pre-order thread in BK's section as this was one of the watches that took a long long time in coming and was disrupted by several issues.

TT Preorder Progress by BKLM1234

wm9 v3 TT components pics by BKLM1234

BK WM9 V3 TT Sub pics, pics, pics by BKLM1234

msY0Obk.jpg

MBW TT/WM9 TT comparison review by Ruprekt

WM9 16613 TT Submariner -ETA2824-2 by abtt

My Uberfranken 16613 by asjsrs

Who has a wm9 16613 AND a TC Sub by rsh

MBW TT/WM9 TT comparison review by Ruprekt

- MBW / MBK 16613 -

Currently available only from a single dealer, Narikaa, who travels to Thailand to pick these up specifically for members on here. They are not cheap, running at around $450 without shipping. But they are considered probably the current best version still freely available.

u3kpSRd.jpg

Fantastic Mods by the one and only BK.. by justlounging

Review of the ROLEX Two-Tone Submariner 16613 "MBK" by By-Tor

Calling all MBW/MBK Sub Owners...Fall in by justlounging

Pictorial Review - Rolex Submariner 16610 / 16613 by justlounging

New happy Narikaa customer : Submariner Two Tone 16613 by BrinEter

Rolex submariner TT gold wrapped by ztradeg

MBK\MBW 16613 is still available (Updated new pics page 4) by Ruprekt

Franken Sean's Case Rolex Submariner Blue 16613 by dpark1234

~16618~

Not much is talked about on the full gold Submariner for a few reasons. Primarily because there are no really good replicas of the 16618. No high accuracy replicas have been produced so far with almost all of them falling short of the mark. Any issues that might appear on other Stainless Steel replicas such as the crownguards are impossible to modify on the full gold models due to the gold plating. Some pop up now and again, the TWbest version was available for a while (pictured below) but I'm unsure of the availability of it currently.

Secondly is the difference in weight between Stainless Steel and solid 18k Gold. This would be immediately noticable to anyone wearing or handling such a watch.

Thirdly there is the cost vs believability factor. If you are wearing a replica of a watch that costs tens of thousands of dollars then this is probably the quickest way to be 'called out' for wearing a replica watch.

1xuBa9q.jpg
yDrg4fq.jpg

OJdi383.png

*Picture credit Puretime.co*

TFTFzzu.jpg

~14060~

Brève histoire des Rolex Submariner no date (depuis 1959) by ed911 (French Language)

Brève histoire des Rolex submariner no date (partie 2) by ed911 (French Language)

Most people see the Submariner and the Submariner Date and just assume that one has a date, the other doesn't, and that's the difference. Of course, this is not true. They are completely different watches. There are definite, but subtle, diferences between the measurements on both case sets.

Z9rfBPz.png

Almost nothing on these watches interchanges except the hands and Triplock Crown... Even the bezel inserts are different to fit the different size bezels, and they use different (although interchangeable until SEL's) bracelets.... Since they do use the same hands, it gives an illusion that they are longer because of the smaller dial..they extend into the markers more..

xsblhc4.jpg

~14060M~

The Ref. 14060 Submariner remained in production till 1999, when it was replaced by the Ref. 14060M Submariner, which had an improved movement movement. However, it was not COSC certified. In 2007, some of the later production Ref. 14060M's were sent to COSC for certification, the first non-date Submariners to be certified as chronometers since the 5512 stopped production in 1978.

WDXNibq.jpg

The 14060 is available in varying qualities. It's not the most widely replicated watch so they are a bit thin on the ground. That doesn't stop people from wanting it though.

8E4YIkr.jpg

*Picture credit Trevor*

Example Rolex Submariner 14060 2 line dial - Asian 2836 clone

14060 no date sub that will take Gen parts by pat1113

Does a 14060 Insert fit on a 16610? by ProLex

no date sub comparrison 14060 vs. 114060 by bmorena

Submariner ND out of a TC Sub? by honeybear

Need info about 14060M by gladio32

erR7NmF.gif

Ceramic Submariners 2008 to present

~Updates and Improvements~

The line of ceramic submariners were released in 2008 starting with the 116619LB full white gold Submariner with Blue dial and Blue bezel. The release schedule can be see below;

7TrHa7i.png

Several updates of note were brought in with the advent of the new 1166-- series Submariners.

-Ceramic Bezel; "Cerachrome"
-Maxi-case design based on the GMT II Ceramic case
-Maxi dial markers (as found on the 16610 LV)
-Maxi minute hand (as found on the 16610 LV - only the DSSD has maxi hour and minute hands)
-Blue "Chromalight" lume; a mixture unique to, and patented by, Rolex
-Anti-reflective coating on crystal Cyclops (also found on some late model 16610)
-Glidelock bracelet clasp

The better ceramic Submariners can be broken down into two factories that currently compete in this market. We have the original Noobfactory versions and the better Big Pilot (aka BP factory). On the horizon is the release of the new Noobfactory versions of the ceramic Submariner and from what we've seen so far it could be very good indeed. I won't talk about earlier versions as there really is no point, they were innacurate and pretty rubbish. You can buy 21j versions of the Noobfactory Sub-C and that is about as cheap as you should go in my opinion.

BKLM1234 (BK's Repertorium) also sells modified versions of the Noobfactory Submariners. His modifications are an extended QC session. He gaurantees a Swiss movement, an updated datewheel overlay with a better font and also makes sure the crystal cyclops is aligned with the datewindow.

~116610 LN~

7AmIsNZ.png

- Noobfactory -

The de facto watch for anyone looking for an entry into the world of ceramic submariners. One of the first ones to get it "mostly" right. This can probably be attested to by the number of people that have bought it.

U3E64s9.jpg

Rolex Submariner Ceramic rep vs. gen comparison by tonnixon

Maxi markers on dial SUB Ceramic 116610 - GEN vs REP by dordonko

Noob Black Sub Ceramic microscope photos by Bonesey

MEGA PICS / Submariner ceramic BP MAKER vs NOOB vs BP MAKER blue white gold by dordonko

Rolex Submariner 116610LN The Quintessence .............. by FMALDONADOG

For those who have purchased TimesShop.net's Ceramic Sub, speak up on how you like it by prsist

Help choosing a 116610 Black Sub :confused: by fzara2000a

- Noobfactory V2 Prototype -

Currently still not released as of 16/05/2013 but hotly anticipated. Full updates are still to be confirmed but upgrades to the pearl, AR crystal and case set are expected. Initial batch appears to be only available with the A3135 movement.

k9suKmo.jpg

The NOOB Sub C is coming!!! by 4roul

Noob Factory 2013 New Submariner 116610LN prototype by Ryanwayer (Dealer)

Anyone buy a new Noob 2013 Ceramic Sub??? by AlFru

Home from work to meet my new '13 Noob "prototype" Submariner. by AlFru

Update 01/08/2013: As of now the V2 Noobmariner ceramic sub is available for order from our TDs in both 116610 LN and LV (Hulk) variations. Currently this is the best ceramic sub rep on the market. Lists of upgrades over the V1 include;

More accurate case set
Upgraded bracelet and end links (now using 2mm gen size springbars)
AR coated cyclops
Sapphire crystal clad pearl using genuine construction style
Correct smaller hour hand

Comparison new version noob sub with GEN. by 1234_cool_uncle

noob sub c 116610 v2 by mattr845

Noob and BP sub-c side by side by mitchbaria

New Sub up on Toros - Noob V2? by cubicle_monkey

The latest version. Noob sub by 1234_cool_uncle

REVIEW/PICTURES: Rolex Submariner Noob V2 by designerx

Just recieved my Sub V2 QC pics . by jorgeinmiami

- BP Factory -

Positives:

-Case and lugs almost perfect - better than the Noob Sub-C V1
-Great pearl (although issues with coming loose)
-Tight bezel rotation - very solid feel
-Nice insert with numbers that appear engraved rather than printed
-Superb date font
-AR on cyclops
-Above average SEL fit
-LEC is very small and hard to see (as per gen)
-Rehaut engraving aligned with minute markers

Negatives:

-Loose pearls on some (easy fix)
-Dial spacing ('OfficiallyCertified') - not visible apart from Macro
-Slightly lumpy lume application on some
-Issues with initial run of bracelet clasps being loose, fixed on run #2

GeRSk9t.jpg

New Noob Sub C bracelet fits BP Sub by pjsayer

BK sub-c or BP? by lukhard

New BP Sub-c Clasp issue by roktoy

116110LN BP factory questions = Darthalex where are you! by Mark831

BP maker SUB, QC pics received, question about them. by offroadfreak

New v2 Sub-C from BP Maker hits! by Harley07

- TW Best -

This maker is known for selling ceramic submariners using the SA3135 movement which is a clone of the Rolex 3135 movement. Generally these are quite expensive (±$400) and the movement itself has not proven itself wholly stable. There are quite a few variations. V1 had issues with stems breaking in the Submariner models due to movement alignment in the case. There were also reports that some gen hands and dials did not fit as expected. V2 supposedly resolved these issues but they are quite rare so not many reviews are about.

Positives on this watch were the upgraded and very nice pearl, a deeper engraved bezel, correct hour hand, correct rehaut engraving and of course the mimic operation of the SA3135 movement.

4Tn2aJx.jpg

Any Reviews of the Timeshops TW Ceramic Sub? by wirelessness

New TW Ceramic subs by Agrigoras

Submariner 116610 LN SA3135 Best Edition, the best subc? by fab.mar

- BKLM Noobfactory 116610 LN -

This is a slightly modified Noobfactory Ceramic submariner V1.

As per BKLM1234's description in the thread below:

- Guaranteed genuine ETA 2836-2 OR Swiss Sellita SW-220
- Bracelet all brushed like gen except the sides are mirror-polished
- My custom datewheel overlay installed
- Fully press in the crystal for WR and even it to maximize WR. **NEW: my own better, more expensive (at least 3x more, not the cheap PE gasket that the noobfactory uses) crystal gasket that doesn't "hair out" when fully pressed in.
- Line up the 12 o'clock marker to the engraved coronet on the rehaut engraving. Again the factory often leave them misaligned.

hprjrp2.jpg

Product Offering: Noobfactory Ceramic Black Sub by BKLM1234

BK's Noob Sub-c.. or TW by applesandoranges

~116610 LV aka The Hulk~

116610lv - hulk - owners club - post em if you got em by pilworx

irNp3hl.png

- Noobfactory V1 -

Based on the standard V1 Noob submariner case set this was the best replication attempt at the Hulk. It got a lot of things right, the hardest being the colour of the ceramic insert (emerald green) and the "sunburst" dial effect. This still has a lot of the issues that plague the V1 116610 LN version from the Noobfactory. There's several threads that give lots of information, but the information from the LN section above is also applicable.

sYTz3PK.jpg

116610 LV - The Hulk by Bonesey

Hulk Smash! - TWbest Vs. Noobfactory 116610LV by Bonesey

My Rolex 116610LV [Pearl updated] by Franke

116610LV Noob Somes pics... by antoine83

Rolex Hulk from Sead (with 360 pic!!) by toehh

- Noobfactory V2 Prototype -

Still unreleased in fully complete form as per the 116610 LN V2 this is the prototype Hulk sub seen on offer from a few dealers. It has the same upgrades as the LN version and appears to retain the same dial/hands/bezel combo as the original 116610 LV Hulk V1 from the Noobfactory. There is very little information on this as of yet but I will update this section as more threads and information is available.

embIzlc.jpg

New SUB-C 116610LV Green Submariner NOOB FACTORY PROTOTYPE by Sora (Dealer)

- BP Factory -

Base off the very successful case set for the LN version this is a contender as a very good Hulk. A large detractor is the metallic nature of the bezel insert as opposed to the gen which is a matte emerald green. It carries the same upgrades and advantages as the LN version.

new rolex hulk by clyde

- TW Best -

Again as per the TW Best 116610 LN there is very little information as these don't seem to be commonly bought. I bought one so I feel I can say that you probably shouldn't. The flaws against the current Noobfactory version cannot make up for slight benifits in other areas.

X1gKVdv.jpg

Hulk Smash! - TWbest Vs. Noobfactory 116610LV by Bonesey

~116613 LB~

CeyPNL3.png

- Noobfactory -

Up until Baselworld 2013 the 116613 LB sported a flat blue dial unlike the original 16613 which had the signature 'sunburst' effect which made it so appealing. However it looks like Rolex is bringing back the 'sunburst' effect which I'm sure will make a lot of people very happy. Unfortunately it's an effect that the rep makers sometimes struggle to get right. The worst case scenario is that the dial ends up being purple rather than blue. Some ceramic subs already come with the incorrect (but now correct) sunburst dial. Rep makers influencing the gen makers perhaps?

One of the major issues with this watch will be the colour of the numbers and markings on the ceramic bezel. They tend to be yellow rather than the gold as per the genuine.

RQuNVql.jpg

New Sunburst Blue Dial by tictoc21

Blue Sub 116619 BK or Puretime ? by nyu

16619 or 16613? by crappymonkey

Rolex Submariner TT Blue (QC) by zarezki

~116613 LN~

As per the above statement on the bezel colouring this is still just a base Noobfactory (in most cases) offering.

qzmOsgg.png

Rolex 116613 from Andrew by George Grasser

H7TLc7G.jpg

- BP Factory -

Update 08/06/2013

This is one of the first sightings of the 116613 LN from BP factory and comes with the usual upgrades as well as an improved bezel. It still looks like they are having issues with the clasp not closing properly.

uWTeNW2.jpg

TT SubC - looks alot better than expected by BlackSealPanerai

~116618 LB~

As with a lot of the other full gold replicas there is not very many posts about them. In part because the percentage of full gold replicas vs standard SS versions is very small.

I3ZELdX.png

All Gold SUBC - Blue by DenisSpa

soOJd02.jpg

~116618 LN~

As per the above statement on the 116618 LB. Not often seen.

4U9QLUD.png

PZTZcVC.jpg

~116619 LB aka The Smurf~

This is one of the most popular Ceramic Submariners that are currently in production. There are several different manufacturers all with varying qualities. The stock version to pick up would be the Noobfactory V1 (no news of a V2 just yet).

The original is solid white gold, hence the 9 at the end of the model number. This means that the genuine is a lot heavier than a stainless steel replica. On the other hand the white gold looks quite similar in appearance to the stainless steel so it is a lot easier pull off than a full yellow gold submariner.

This has the same glidelock clasp and bracelet as the other Submariners but the center links of the bracelet and the center of the clasp is polished as opposed to brushed.

oLP194b.png

- Noobfactory V1 -

As per the other NF products it is all based off the same case set. It still carries the same flaws that the other NF Subs have but the colour replication is very close.

utbmNnT.jpg

Rolex Sub 116613LB from Marvellous by Buster Hyman

Rolex Submariner Blue Ceramic: A look at the Gen, the BK Version, and ReplicaMake by Thinkbachs

- BP Factory -

No official release yet but that doesn't stop members from creating pieces made from several other watches.

EsU4FPu.jpg

116619 blue ceramic Sub built on BP case by sneed.12

- BKLM Smurf -

As per BKLM1234's other offerings he puts his own twist on the Smurf Sub

- guaranteed genuine ETA 2836-2 (commonly called Swiss ETA 2836-2 by other dealers) OR Swiss Sellita SW-220
- fully press in the crystal for WR and even it to maximize WR. **NEW: my own better, more expensive (at least 3x more, not the cheap PE gasket that the noobfactory uses) crystal gasket that doesn't "hair out" when fully pressed in.
- line up the 12 o'clock marker to the engraved coronet on the rehaut engraving. Again the factory often leave them misaligned.
- what's a bk watch without any mod even though there's not much needed. The mod is wm9 dw overlay swapped in. I don't like the wrong date font of the noob dw overlay esp. left-justified 21, 31, and 19
Very accurate blue color. Bezel numbers are big and bold enough now.

Product Offering: Noobfactory Ceramic Blue Sub by BKLM1234

Rolex Submariner Blue Ceramic: A look at the Gen, the BK Version, and ReplicaMake by Thinkbachs

~114060~

wJaSmCe.png

BP 114060 Sub-C 'No Date' pics by pjsayer

No Date Ultimate Version from TS by radekglaz

Noobfactory Submariner 114060 (No date) by rupert37

Info about 114060 bp factory modding by ressmeplz

My first Rep. from Andrew TT by stanislas

Submariner 114060 Noob Edition A2836 from Puretime by arnaudu21

~Modification Information for Ceramic Submariners~

Popular modifications depending on model;

New 'slim' hour hand
Install AR cyclops crystal
Superlume dial/hands/bezel pearl
Modify bezel engravings from white paint to silver look

The pilworx Penultimate Platinumizing Procedure by Pilworx

116610LN - Custom Building the Ultimate Ceramic Sub by DarthAlex

SubC: DIY for painting clasp engravings black? by greg325i

Quick and easy BP Sub-c 116610 mods! by watchguyusa1

Tutorial: Disassemble and assemble BP Rolex Submariner 116610 LN (lower crystal mag. by Mike00

Contributers to this WIKI:

I would like to thank the following people for contacting me and adding to this WIKI page.

txrob779
Rols16610
Debellum
arcadia
justlounging
Pilworx

Reactions: Rowdy_Rico

razzer

Known Member
23/9/12
interesting- I'll have to read this again at some point. I do like the 14060 with the drilled lug ,looks great.

mitchbaria

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/10/12
I was at a AD yesterday and took the time to handle a16610 and I've got to say the cg's just look different then my reps....everything else is really spot on but the flat part of the midcase seems to extend out further on gens.... this can be seen very well in the 16800 pictured first.... I have a ST case that I'm eventually going to build as my grail watch and it's better then any Rep I own, but I can't find a Dwo with open six's and nines for a eta movement and I haven't found a 3035 that I can afford. Any ideas? also I'm thinking about ordering ST mid cases for my 16610 reps and having them engraved. Is there any way to get accurate serial numbers? GREAT POST BTW, sorry if I'm hijacking, you just have a vast array of knowledge!

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
I was at a AD yesterday and took the time to handle a16610 and I've got to say the cg's just look different then my reps....everything else is really spot on but the flat part of the midcase seems to extend out further on gens.... this can be seen very well in the 16800 pictured first.... I have a ST case that I'm eventually going to build as my grail watch and it's better then any Rep I own, but I can't find a Dwo with open six's and nines for a eta movement and I haven't found a 3035 that I can afford. Any ideas? also I'm thinking about ordering ST mid cases for my 16610 reps and having them engraved. Is there any way to get accurate serial numbers? GREAT POST BTW, sorry if I'm hijacking, you just have a vast array of knowledge!

Great info Bonesey. I love reading these post. I long for that great 16613lb

Now Mitch I know you just bought a Gen with that 3035 in it?

mitchbaria

15/10/12
No it's a 3135.....still the problem with open 6 an 9s....It won't work. And I'm so glad you've posted this Bonesey it really highlights the 16800, maybe unintentionally but still those pics, wow! that 16800 just stand out.... also the dial I have is a gloss-gone dial with wg surrounds:

It's kinda like the spider web effect you reference. During the transitional years there's several variations of bracelets also....just with the transitional years of submariner alone you could write an entire book...

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Mitch and I are both "all in" with 16800 parts.
Mitch as been my 16800 Jedi....thanks Mitch now sell me that damn 16234

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I think that's most of the information on the older subs, feel free to PM me with more links though!

DenisSpa

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/6/12
Thank you guys for putting this together!

Really great info here, keep it coming!

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Agreed, if there was a "my hat's off" emo I would trigger it. :p
I have spent a shit load of time gathering my personal wiki'ish data for my parts and build quests....hours, days, months. I cannot thank Bonesey enough for this Wiki stuff because I know for DAMN sure, it is a butt load of work.

Thanks a million......This whole wiki endeavor can mainline a shot of insta-knowledge to the noob that we vets fought long and hard for....You guys have NO idea how bad ass you have it in May 2013 so, be grateful and READ READ READ

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Still looking for contributions, especially information on the full gold ceramic reps (116618 LN and LB).

heero

Known Member
29/3/13
I posted a FG BP 16618LB review on repgeek. I'll post it over here too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

letswatch

Horology Curious
6/4/13
Hi Guys,

Apart from the usual inaccuracies as compared to the gen for the Sub C that was shared in the forum, I noticed that on the dial, the printing of "1000 ft" seems to be off. The 'f' is shorter on the gen but taller on all reps.

Someone may have posted on this but I didn't see any. I would like to verify if this was indeed an inaccuracy, or 2 different versions were made. I am referring to the Ceramic Subs..

arcadia

11/8/11
Hi Guys,

I noticed that on the dial, the printing of "1000 ft" seems to be off. The 'f' is shorter on the gen but taller on all reps.

I would like to verify if this was indeed an inaccuracy, or 2 different versions were made.

2 versions.