BP Seadweller.. Best SD available Period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ride2live View Post

My kit is of a 2824 but it came with the SA3135 dial so I thought I’d build mine around the VR3135 movement. I may have misread the thread so far, but I was under the impression that a 3135 would fit into a 2824 case set, but would need a special movement spacer and the case back milled. If not, I have the 2824 dial and hands and all I would need to source is the movement and the H4 pinion set. I’m fine either way, but would prefer to go the least complicated route.
    Provided that the 2824-2 version uses a thick dial spacer to compensate for the lower crown/stem/tube height, I think it's possible that the 2824-2 version could fit a 2836-2 movement. This means that you could skip the 2824-2 + H4 conversion, if you use the 2836-2 instead. However, this needs confirmation from someone who has experience modding a 2824-2 version as I never owned a 2824-2 version before (but i have owned the complete movement and dwo assembly of the 2824-2 version, and these observations are based on TD pictures).

Comment

Originally posted by pompompurin View Post

Provided that the 2824-2 version uses a thick dial spacer to compensate for the lower crown/stem/tube height, I think it's possible that the 2824-2 version could fit a 2836-2 movement. This means that you could skip the 2824-2 + H4 conversion, if you use the 2836-2 instead. However, this needs confirmation from someone who has experience modding a 2824-2 version as I never owned a 2824-2 version before (but i have owned the complete movement and dwo assembly of the 2824-2 version, and these observations are based on TD pictures).
      Thank you! So you are recommending i go the 2836 route instead of the 2824H4 or the VR3135? The case i have is from a 2824, so i am thinking that going the 2824H4 route would mean less work. Installing a 2836 into it may not fit due to the lower stem height compared to the 2824. Or am i missing something?

Comment

Thank you! So you are recommending i go the 2836 route instead of the 2824H4 or the VR3135? The case i have is from a 2824, so i am thinking that going the 2824H4 route would mean less work. Installing a 2836 into it may not fit due to the lower stem height compared to the 2824. Or am i missing something?
        Generally, watch cases that use 2824-2 movement cannot install 2836-2 because of the different crown/stem/tube height for the case and movement.

However, I believe the situation for the BP 16600 2824-2 is slightly different: the BP 16600 2824-2 version uses a thicker dial spacer, causing the 2824-2 movement and the crown/stem/tube height to be lower (this is from my memory and observation from TD pics. We need confirmation from someone who modded a BP 16600 2824-2 version before).

If you have modded an ARF 126600 Sea Dweller before, this watch also uses a thick dial spacer, causing the 2824-2 movement to sit lower. I have successfully replaced the 2824-2 movement inside an ARF 126600 Sea Dweller with a 2836-2 movement, using a thinner dial spacer and different DWO.

Also, the 2836-2 movement has its advantage over the 2824-2:
        - comes stock with H3 (or sometimes H4) wheels/pinion
        - instantaneous date flips (opposed to gradual date flips)
        Last edited by pompompurin; 28-08-20, 18:18.

Comment

Originally posted by pompompurin View Post

Generally, watch cases that use 2824-2 movement cannot install 2836-2 because of the different crown/stem/tube height for the case and movement.

However, I believe the situation for the BP 16600 2824-2 is slightly different: the BP 16600 2824-2 version uses a thicker dial spacer, causing the 2824-2 movement and the crown/stem/tube height to be lower (this is from my memory and observation from TD pics. We need confirmation from someone who modded a BP 16600 2824-2 version before).

If you have modded an ARF 126600 Sea Dweller before, this watch also uses a thick dial spacer, causing the 2824-2 movement to sit lower. I have successfully replaced the 2824-2 movement inside an ARF 126600 Sea Dweller with a 2836-2 movement, using a thinner dial spacer and different DWO.

Also, the 2836-2 movement has its advantage over the 2824-2:
          - comes stock with H3 (or sometimes H4) wheels/pinion
          - instantaneous date flips (opposed to gradual date flips)
          Awesome! Your explanation makes perfect sense. I used to own a SSD with a 2836 inside it and everything worked well. Should anyone else who has done the 2824 to 2836 switch wish to chime in, I look forward to hearing how it went for you.

You have given me a lot of great advice and i will need to do some thinking. Part of me wants to see this through to the end, another part wants to put the kit up for sale and let someone else enjoy the project.

Thank you pompompurin for taking the time to answer my questions and provide such great advice.

Comment

Thank you! Really helpful recommendation. Unfortunately the kit that I got did not include the SA hands so I need to either expand my budget to include a set of gen hands, or keep my eyes peeled for a set of JF/ARFs to come along.
            I have a set of Bp sa hands never used. They were taken out with the dial from The franken I sold to Thorne.

It is of any help to you PM me and we can set up a sale in M2m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by stufuse; 28-08-20, 19:04.

Comment

Originally posted by stufuse View Post

I have a set of Bp sa hands never used. They were taken out with the dial from The franken I sold to Thorne.

It is of any help to you PM me and we can set up a sale in M2m

Thank you stufuse. I really appreciate your offer. I am going to try the 2836 route first and see how that works out. If it does not, I will hit you up should you still have them available for sale. I should know by the end of next week.
              Last edited by Ride2live; 28-08-20, 19:30.

Comment

A couple of my personal findings from my experience with the SA3135 BPSD
                • VR3135 fit like a charm in this case. I reused the dial spacer that was present in the SA3135 movement, which I presumed was needed for proper stem height.
                • BP dial print quality is great, but the hour markers are applied quite poorly. When working with them, I've found that simply using an air blower gets them blown off the dial, and there has been one instance where one hour marker came loose when the watch was on wrist. Of course, this can be easily fixed by reapplying them with an adhesive.
                • Like many other members, I needed to sand my genuine insert a bit to get it to fit into the bezel ring.
                • A genuine 704 crown screwed on perfectly onto the stock rep tube. Doing this will only be a visual upgrade, though. In my opinion, the largest contributor to water resistance is the tube construction and gaskets. Genuine 24-7030 tubes have two gaskets within the tube, one at the joint where the tube meets the case and one on the outside that gets compressed when the crown is screwed in. The stock rep tube only fits one gasket within it.
                • Mismatched lume between the hands and hour markers. I felt that adding a genuine handset was a good improvement!
                • Gen spec springbars don't work with the bracelet as they are too thick
                • Removing the diver's extension on the clasp made life with the watch a lot better. The diver's extension on mine was very sloppy and would come undone every time I opened the clasp. This is probably either due to worn tabs on the inner side of the clasp or a flattened rivet pin in the center of the extension

Comment

Thought I’d add a few pics here if my gen crystal project, I know this has been done before except this time the case mode has been welded and machined permanent. I went down this road because my case go so damaged on one lug it was either a throw away or had to be fully welded and rebuilt. I went the weld route and went gen crystal while I was at it. case lug reshape

having to machine a new rehault and inner case ring for the BP case to take a gen crystal and gasket was fun and the result was good. I managed to get the gen looking hight And the case is now gen spec as per my gen 16600 that I sold a little while ago. This case is meant to represent a polished 16660.
                  Machined parts, ring welded & machined and crystal installed.

mill update when I’ve finished building the 3135... looks good with a period correct open 6 & 9 datewheel

Comment

Forgot to add pic of the case after new internal was added and welded

Comment

It's so nice to see this thread living on and new people getting hard core with mods. Its guys like you all that make this hobby great. Congratulations.
                      I Need another watch box!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrasher View Post
                        It's so nice to see this thread living on and new people getting hard core with mods. Its guys like you all that make this hobby great. Congratulations.
                        Thanks buddy, love this hobby. That’s a beautiful piece you got there... wear it well

Comment

my BPSD with some gen and TC goodies. BP got this SD right.

Comment

Tbh it's one of my favourite Rolex, it's Rolex without shouting about it. The no Cyclops certainly helps in that regard. pompompurin will sell me his one day haha
                            SD43 Comparison - ARF v3 vs Noob v10

SD43 - Franken Build

Comment

Originally posted by Sonofalich View Post
                              Tbh it's one of my favourite Rolex, it's Rolex without shouting about it. The no Cyclops certainly helps in that regard. pompompurin will sell me his one day haha
                              haha, i will definitely let you know when it's time

Comment

[url=https://clickpix.org/image/Z3QVbc][/I just received it

Comment

Working...
                                X