• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Freezing a Daytona @ the 6

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
I have a stupid question. I am going to buy a seagull Daytona and have read that you should freeze the movement @ the 6. My question is...
Do you just not use the crono or, is it something mechanical thats done to the movement?

e36wchmstr

8/5/06
Toss in freezer for ~30 mins, should do the trick. Make sure you use a full size, not a beer fridge w/ freezer. You wouldn't want to contaminate the piece w/ beer flavored ice crystals.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Beer flavored ice crystals.. Gotta try that.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
The Seagull chrono movement is a bi-compax movement, meaning two sub-dials- running seconds at 9 and a thirty minute counter at 3. The original Daytona 6263/5's were tri-compax Valjoux 72's with the six o'clock subdial being the 12 hour counter. Since the Seagull doesn't have a 12 hour counter, they added a gear and the 6 o'clock subdial mimics the hour hand. If it's ten o'clock, the 6 o'clock dial hand will also point to 10. Since this is bogus and a dead giveaway to any half ass WIS, people take the movement out, remove the hands and dial and take out the 6 o'clock gear and glue the hand to the dial in the 12 o'clock position, which is where it should be when you're not using the chrono, which is 99% of the time. You can still use the chrono, just for 30 minutes.

Other flaws of the Seagull vintage Daytona and the asian 7750 vintage Daytona are that the case is 40mm instead of 37mm on the originals and the chrono pushers are symmetrical. On the originals, the chrono pushers are assymetrical.

And stay away from beer ice. If you can't drink real beer, maybe you should.... well, nevermind.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
or u can simply file the post down on that gear and then put u a dab of epoxy in the hole to hold it

joe

dieselpower

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/06
Well done dawg. At least someone round hear knows quality music when they here it.

This is a post of hope.

road rash

20/12/06
rbj69 said:
or u can simply file the post down on that gear and then put u a dab of epoxy in the hole to hold it

joe

That epoxy would be Metalset A4, no :?: :shock: :shock: